none
SQL 2000 ODBC DRIVER ON WINDOWS 7 WORKSTATION

Question

• I have a Windows 7 - 32 bit system.  Older software I need to run is requiring the SQL 2000 ODBC driver.  Since Windows 7 won't let me install the MDAC 2.8 - how do I get this on the machine so my software will install and run?
    Deb S
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 8:52 PM

Answers

• The SQL Server ODBC driver are backward compatible, you can use the never 2005/2008 driver to create a ODBC entry and connect to SQL Server 2000.
    Olaf Helper ----------- * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum * Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich http://olafhelper.over-blog.de
    • Marked as answer by KJian_ Tuesday, November 02, 2010 6:21 AM
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 5:55 AM

All replies

• The SQL Server ODBC driver are backward compatible, you can use the never 2005/2008 driver to create a ODBC entry and connect to SQL Server 2000.
    Olaf Helper ----------- * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum * Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich http://olafhelper.over-blog.de
    • Marked as answer by KJian_ Tuesday, November 02, 2010 6:21 AM
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 5:55 AM
  • I have the same problem as above.  I have tried just about everything I know to connect to an SQL server 2000 with the odbc driver in windows 7 with no success at all.  If it is backwards compatable please let me know how to get it to connect.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 11:05 AM
  • Hello,

Download & install the Sql Native Client (SqlNCli.msi) from e.g. SQL Server 2005 Feature Pack and use this data provider and use this for a ODBC connection.

Olaf Helper
    * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum *
    Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich
    Blog Xing
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 12:43 PM
  • I went to the website and downloaded the file but it will not install on Windows 7.  Is there something I am missing?
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:12 PM
  • I got it.  I have to use the IP address instead of using the computer name.  It works.  Thank you for the direction.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 6:15 PM
  • If it works with IP address + port and not with servername\instancename then may the SQL Server Browser service isn't running or may there is a problem with DNS.
    Can you "ping" the server name from the client?
    Olaf Helper
    * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum *
    Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich
    Blog Xing
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 6:49 PM
  • I’m having a similar problem trying to establish a File DSN with SQL Server 2005 using Windows 7 and a 32-bit machine. I have not had any problems creating File DSNs with Windows XP.

I followed all of the steps listed above including downloading SqlNCli.msi (which installed the “SQL Native Client” driver). I also tried using the server name as well as IP address with \ and \\ between servername\ instancename. The latest error message is:

“[SQL Native Client]SQL Network Interfaces: Error Locating Server/Instance Specified [xFFFFFFFF]

Any thoughts or direction?     -Robert

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 7:03 PM