none
SQL 2005 Setup on Win7 Ultimate [No SQL Services after installation]

Question

• Win 7 Ultimate (64bit)
    4GB RAM
    New installation of Win 7 Ultimate
    Re-installation of SQL: Originally SQLExpress which didn't work out so I went to SQL2005 Standard Edition SP1 & updated to SQL2005 SP4.  I installed Visual Studio 2005 during the SP1 installation.  Actually, I installed all SQL2005 components 'just in case'.

I had attempted, unsuccessfully, to install SQLExpress so I uninstalled all SQLExpress components via Programs and Features, removed all SQL related directories and subdirectories in c:\Program Files (x86)\SQL.... and started the DVD setup.exe installation.  [I didn't do a RegEdit32!] 

Uniquely, During installation of SQL2005, I wasn't asked for the SQL Product Key nor whether the mode was Windows or Mixed (I want Mixed Mode).  Now, after rebooting with all MS updates (Win7 and SQL2005) I don't see any SQL services even though the Microsoft SQL Server 2005, Backward compatibility and Books etc are listed as installed under Programs and Features.  IIRC, I saw a message regarding ASP.Net for 64bit being installed but some issues on the 32bit not being installed (warning message).

So, how do I get the necessary SQL 2005 services installed and get SQL functional???  I'm open to a complete re-install if necessary.  My original DVD is SQL2005 Standard Edition SP1, fyi.

THANKS!

Sunday, April 13, 2014 12:57 AM

All replies

• Do you have any "SQL Server Configuration Manager" in program files? 

What's the exact SQL Server edition?

Is it possible that you installed the Compact edition?

And Finally, could you select collation, instance name, services, etc?

sqldevelop.wordpress.com

Sunday, April 13, 2014 3:53 AM
  • I think you need to install a Developer Edition rather than Standard editions . It is not supported by MS but I have seen people have been installed STD on the W7...

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

Sunday, April 13, 2014 5:51 AM
  • Hi,

In official Document for hardware and software requirement  for SQL server 2005 no information about win 7 support for 2005 is mentioned.So I guess it is not supported .But you can install and manage on your own risk.

>>Uniquely, During installation of SQL2005, I wasn't asked for the SQL Product Key nor whether the mode was Windows or Mixed (I want Mixed Mode).

I guess you installed client components.Not database services.If you want to create new instance of SQL Server 2005 please installed named instance it would help you identify easily.Or if express is not required please remove it completely and install fresh SQL server 2005 Standard edition.

Please make sure express is completely installed.

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

• Edited by Shanky_621 Monday, April 14, 2014 1:08 PM
    Sunday, April 13, 2014 9:28 AM
  • 1) SQL Server Configuration Manager?  Yes, I do under "Configuration Tools"  When selecting this and going into SQL Server 2005 Services I get "There are no items to show in this view".

2) Exact SQL Server edition? From Help of SQL Server Configuration Manager: 2005.090.5000.00

3) Compact Edition installed?  I used the SQL2005 SP1 Standard Edition DVD and then selected setup.exe.  If you'd like for me to uninstall SQL and reinstall I will (including removing appropriate SQL Server directories).  I'd remove the RegEdit entries but I don't know where/what they are.  [[Note!: See #4 below where under Server Type I see "SQL Server Compact Edition  ... as well as Database Engine, Analysis Services, Reporting Services and Integration Services]

4) ??: Since I can't get into SQL Server Management Studio.  I get "Cannot connect to XYZ02" "A network-related or instance specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL server.  The server was not found or was not accessible.  Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections.  (Provider: Named Pipes Provider, error:40- Could not open a connection to SQL server) (Microsoft SQL server, Error:2)"  [Note: XYZ02 is the name of the laptop and I used: Server Type: Database Engine; Server Name: XYZ02 (I had to enter as it wasn't listed); Authentication: Windows Authentication

So, suggestions... looks like I DO have Compact Edition?  Thoughts?????

Thanks

BTW, I have another 64bit laptop (same mfr/model but with 8GB vs this 4GB under 64bit Win7 Ultimate) that runs SQL fine.  Been running SQL 2005 on it for 3-4+ years.

Monday, April 14, 2014 12:49 PM
  • I have SQL 2005 Standard Edition (exactly same version!) on my other laptop and it works fine.  Not too sure what the difference here except I installed "more" [like everything!] on the current 64bit Win 7 Ultimate than my "old" 64bit Win7 Ultimate!

Thanks!!!

Monday, April 14, 2014 12:53 PM
  • So, you're stating to fully uninstall SQL2005 including the directories and re-install SQLExpress rather than SQL2005?  Are there any RegEdit/registry entries I need to remove to have a 'clean' installation?

THanks!

Monday, April 14, 2014 12:55 PM
  • I have SQL 2005 Standard Edition (exactly same version!) on my other laptop and it works fine.  Not too sure what the difference here except I installed "more" [like everything!] on the current 64bit Win 7 Ultimate than my "old" 64bit Win7 Ultimate!

Thanks!!!

It will work fine and you can install but its not supported by MS.You cannot hold MS responsible for any issues arising.

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Monday, April 14, 2014 1:09 PM
  • So, you're stating to fully uninstall SQL2005 including the directories and re-install SQLExpress rather than SQL2005?  Are there any RegEdit/registry entries I need to remove to have a 'clean' installation?

THanks!

I am little confused by your problem.Please can you tell me once again.It would help be to provide correct solution.You can understand it can be sometimes difficult to provide solution just looking into what user says

Thanks for your patience

Monday, April 14, 2014 1:11 PM