none
Effect of changing the default language for SQL server 2012 system accounts

Question

• Hi i've been asked to change the default language of all of our SQL 2012 installs.  As well as changing the default language to British English I've been asked the change the default language of all the Logins to British English, however I'm a little bit unsure of how this will effect the NT SERVICE accounts, and other system accounts.

Is it necessary to change the language on these system accounts, and if I do will it have any adverse effects?

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 1:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Changing the default language of a login associated to system accounts may affect WSUS, if the SQL Server instance has a database related to WSUS.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 2:24 PM
  • Hi MThrall,

The default language option specifies the default language for all newly created logins.

Configure the default language Server Configuration Option: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190682.aspx.

Thanks.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Maggie Luo
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 04, 2013 5:07 AM
  • Thanks for the replies, however say I already have a number of logins created, as well as the usual assortment of system created logins.  Once I change the default language as highlighted above, do I then need to change it for all the already exisiting logins, including system created accounts?
    Thursday, April 04, 2013 7:59 AM
  • Hello,

I would change them to match the default for the server, because the language that will take effect on a query in SSMS (for example) is the default language of the login.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, April 04, 2013 10:52 AM