none
Windows 7 : can connect to SQL Server with 64-bit ODBC, but not with 32-bit ODBC

Question

• I have a 32-bit application and tried to create a System DSN for SQL Server using the 32-bit ODBC ( \Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe ) - but encountered the error "SQL Server does not exist or access denied".

I then used the 64-bit ODBC System DSN, and the connection was successful. I also tried the 64-bit ODBC User DSN and it was also successful.

I then went back to the 32-bit ODBC and under User DSN found the entry which was created when connecting with the 64-bit User DSN previously. Unfortunately, this User DSN also failed when I tested it.

The server is running SQL Server 2000.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 8:41 AM

Answers

• Hi Tan,

Does it succeed while click “Test Data Source” button at the time of creating a System DSN using 32-bit ODBC?  What is the full text error while the test failed? According to the error message, it seems the ODBC provider is worked and it generates an error while it tries to connect to the SQL Server. Since it is a generic issue and there are many potential causes on this KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328306.

Is the application developed by .NET? Could you please make sure that it is 32-bit? For 32-bit application, it is not available to connect data source with 64-bit provider. 

You are using 64-bit operation system, right? Since 32-bit version of the ODBC Administrator tool and the 64-bit version of the ODBC Administrator tool display both the 32-bit user DSNs and the 64-bit user DSNs on 64-bit operation system, please also check that you are using the right provider. For more information: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942976.

Moreover, you can try to use the SQL Server 2008 R2 Native Client driver to access SQL Server 2000 or later instance.

Best Regards,
    Stephanie Lv

Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:14 PM