none
Unable to connect to a remote SQL Database

Question

• I am trying to connect to a remote MSSQL server using Microsoft SQL Server Management Sudio Express. but I always get the error "Can not connect to SQLEXPRESS". The serve is configured to allow remote connections, so I have no idea why its not working.
    Thursday, August 14, 2008 2:24 PM

Answers

• Hello,

First, i've seen that's your first post on the MSDN forum.

So i send you a good welcome on our Sql Server forums. I hope you will enjoy them and especially you will find a quick answer to your problem.

I think that you have not given the complete error message.

Please, could you post the complete error message ?

You have the message appearing in a messagebox :

a first line with a short message like "impossible to connect to MyComputer\MyInstance"

below you have a more complete message explaining why the connection is impossible

at the bottom of the messagebox, you have 3 icons : click on the 2nd ( copy the message ) and paste it to a new post

I'm surprised that the message is Can not connect to SQLEXPRESS"

SQlEXPRESS is the name of the instance ( MyInstance in 5 lines upper ), it seems to me that you have not given the name of the remote computer.

To help you to connect, in the connection form, click on the combobox on the line name of the server,

go down the list, you should find "search" or some near, click on it

you arrive on a tabcontrol with 2 pages local servers and network servers

click on the tabpage network servers

wait for some seconds and click on the + of database engine

you will see all the remote servers which are available

click on your wanted remote server and you are coming back to the first connexion form

Be careful, if you don't see your remote server, it's maybe because you cannot get access to the remote computer where the instance is located

You can also have a look on the 3 excellents posts of Mike Wachal at the top of the Sql Server Express forum ( many advices clearly explained by a "Master" )

We  are waiting for your feedback to try to help you more efficiently

Have a nice day

Thursday, August 14, 2008 4:42 PM

All replies

• Did you specify the correct server name?  Which type of authentication are you using?
    Thursday, August 14, 2008 2:46 PM
  • Yes that is the server name, and I am using SQL Server Authentication
    Thursday, August 14, 2008 3:31 PM
  • Hello,

First, i've seen that's your first post on the MSDN forum.

So i send you a good welcome on our Sql Server forums. I hope you will enjoy them and especially you will find a quick answer to your problem.

I think that you have not given the complete error message.

Please, could you post the complete error message ?

You have the message appearing in a messagebox :

a first line with a short message like "impossible to connect to MyComputer\MyInstance"

below you have a more complete message explaining why the connection is impossible

at the bottom of the messagebox, you have 3 icons : click on the 2nd ( copy the message ) and paste it to a new post

I'm surprised that the message is Can not connect to SQLEXPRESS"

SQlEXPRESS is the name of the instance ( MyInstance in 5 lines upper ), it seems to me that you have not given the name of the remote computer.

To help you to connect, in the connection form, click on the combobox on the line name of the server,

go down the list, you should find "search" or some near, click on it

you arrive on a tabcontrol with 2 pages local servers and network servers

click on the tabpage network servers

wait for some seconds and click on the + of database engine

you will see all the remote servers which are available

click on your wanted remote server and you are coming back to the first connexion form

Be careful, if you don't see your remote server, it's maybe because you cannot get access to the remote computer where the instance is located

You can also have a look on the 3 excellents posts of Mike Wachal at the top of the Sql Server Express forum ( many advices clearly explained by a "Master" )

We  are waiting for your feedback to try to help you more efficiently

Have a nice day

Thursday, August 14, 2008 4:42 PM