none
The SQL Server failover cluster instance name 'Server02' already exists as a clustered resource. Specify a different failover cluster instance name.

Question

• Hello,

I have a node of 2 servers of Win 2008 R2 Enterprise and trying to install a 2nd instance in a SQL 2008 R2 Cluster. I had SQL_INSTANCE2 previously installed that I removed from the two nodes. Now when I attempt to install it again from scratch, in setup GUI where I specify the SQL Server Network Name and enter the previously entered name "Server02", I get a failure in the setup with the following error message:

"The SQL Server failover cluster instance name 'Server02' already exists as a clustered resource. Specify a different failover cluster instance name."

How do I fix this problem, I don't want to enter a new name like "Server03" in order to proceed with the setup, because when I do enter "Server03" the setup does continue without an error message.

So what am I missing? Do I have to ask the DNS administrator to see if there's an A record for "Server03" and have him delete it so that the setup works? Or the fix is by doing something else?

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 1:58 AM

Answers

• As Ramesh mentioned clear any orphan resources from 'failover cluster manager'. However I suspect that you would not see anythign in the GUI.

try this -

Cluster res -- to list all the cluster resources. If you see the resources corresponding to the network name. Delete it at the comand prompt.

cluster RES "resource_name" /Delete -- the resource name has to be exact.

Let me know if this doesnt help.

FYI -There is a KB article coming in this shortly.

thanks -Vijay

Thursday, September 16, 2010 2:10 AM

All replies

• On Win 2008, since we have kerberos enabled by default - each of the network name object (or cAP) creates a computer object in the AD. You have to delete this computer object from AD.. also you need to remove any entries in DNS for that object.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 2:02 AM
  • Hello Vijay,

Thank you for your answer.

Our sysadmin said he flushed the DNS entries but that there are no entries for this object in AD.

I tried setup again and it failed with the same error message, any other solution you can think of that we could try?

Thank you

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 2:10 PM
  • Hi Sergez,

Could you please open windows cluster admin and check?

If you found old resources other than windows resources, please remove them.

Ramesh S
    www.sequalserver.com
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 2:15 PM
  • As Ramesh mentioned clear any orphan resources from 'failover cluster manager'. However I suspect that you would not see anythign in the GUI.

try this -

Cluster res -- to list all the cluster resources. If you see the resources corresponding to the network name. Delete it at the comand prompt.

cluster RES "resource_name" /Delete -- the resource name has to be exact.

Let me know if this doesnt help.

FYI -There is a KB article coming in this shortly.

thanks -Vijay

Thursday, September 16, 2010 2:10 AM
  • Hi Ramesh,

I had already looked in the cluster admin many times but there's nothing there as a SQL Network Name Server02.

See my reply to Vijay below.

Thank you for your help.

Thursday, September 16, 2010 3:57 AM
  • Hi Vijay,

I was looking exactly for this but I think it's too late.

When I run cluster res at the command prompt I do see the resource I want to delete listed as "SQL Network Name (Server02)" but I can't even do /PROP on it:

cluster res "SQL Network Name (Server02)"

returns

Listing properties for 'SQL Network Name (Server02)':

T  Resource             Name                           Value
    -- -------------------- ------------------------------ -----------------------

System error 2 has occurred (0x00000002).
    The system cannot find the file specified.

I think our sysadmin earlier tried to go through the registry and seems like he deleted some entries. I think probably that's why maybe I get the above error.

I wish I could have tried this before he went in the registry. He will be reinstalling the OS as the servers weren't online yet.

Thank you Vijay, and please can you post the KB article link here when it comes out?

Thursday, September 16, 2010 4:05 AM
  • Hi!

I run into the exact same problem as Sergez, "Cluster resource name already in use"

I had run the "Remove node from failover cluster" on both nodes.

On the first node I run, as suggested cluster res but found no network name. Removed the corresponding MSDTC resource though.

But on the 2nd node there was the network name as a resource. Removed it with cluster res "resource name" /Delete and the installation went on.

Conclusion: run "Cluster res" on both nodes.

Cheers
    Håkan

Thursday, April 21, 2011 7:58 AM
  • Hi all,

Thanks for your answers - we had same problem after uninstalling all nodes on a 3-instance 4-node cluster and then trying to re-install from scratch. I tried command 'cluster res' as advised and this listed two entries for our orphaned resource, they appeared as follows:

Resource             Group                Node            Status
    -------------------- -------------------- --------------- ------
    FileServer-(Server02)(Cluster Disk 7) Available Storage    NodeB       Offline
    SQL Network Name (Server02) Available Storage    NodeB       Offline

After a few failed attempts we worked out that the first entry (FileServer-...) is a dependency of the second entry so they have to be deleted in the sequence that they appear in the output, viz:

C:\Users\DBA01>cluster RES "FileServer-(Server02)(Cluster Disk 7)" /Delete
    Deleting resource 'FileServer-(Server02)(Cluster Disk 7)'

C:\Users\DBA01>cluster RES "SQL Network Name (Server02)" /Delete
    Deleting resource 'SQL Network Name (Server02)'

When I re-ran 'cluster res' the 2 orphaned resources had disappeared and the Server02 entries were removed from the Registry, so our re-install proceeded with no further errors.

Incidentally, we suspect that the problem may have been caused by creating a fileshare on the initial install of Server02 on Cluster Disk 7, however I didn't delete the fileshare before removing the node from the cluster - its just a theory & we haven't had time to test but maybe this might help someone else to try?

Thanks for your excellent help, couldn't have cracked this without it!

Friday, July 29, 2011 3:15 PM
  • Hi all,

Thanks for your answers - we had same problem after uninstalling all nodes on a 3-instance 4-node cluster and then trying to re-install from scratch. I tried command 'cluster res' as advised and this listed two entries for our orphaned resource, they appeared as follows:

Resource             Group                Node            Status
    -------------------- -------------------- --------------- ------
    FileServer-(Server02)(Cluster Disk 7) Available Storage    NodeB       Offline
    SQL Network Name (Server02) Available Storage    NodeB       Offline

After a few failed attempts we worked out that the first entry (FileServer-...) is a dependency of the second entry so they have to be deleted in the sequence that they appear in the output, viz:

C:\Users\DBA01>cluster RES "FileServer-(Server02)(Cluster Disk 7)" /Delete
    Deleting resource 'FileServer-(Server02)(Cluster Disk 7)'

C:\Users\DBA01>cluster RES "SQL Network Name (Server02)" /Delete
    Deleting resource 'SQL Network Name (Server02)'

When I re-ran 'cluster res' the 2 orphaned resources had disappeared and the Server02 entries were removed from the Registry, so our re-install proceeded with no further errors.

Incidentally, we suspect that the problem may have been caused by creating a fileshare on the initial install of Server02 on Cluster Disk 7, however I didn't delete the fileshare before removing the node from the cluster - its just a theory & we haven't had time to test but maybe this might help someone else to try?

Thanks for your excellent help, couldn't have cracked this without it!

This worked for me, you're a lifesaver!
    Friday, July 06, 2012 2:11 AM