none
Error : [File System Task] Error: An error occurred with the following error message: "Could not find a part of the path.".

Question

• I have a parent package which uses several Execute Package Task to execute several child packages. When i run the child package individually i do not get any error. But when i run the main package which exeutes other packages , i get this error :

[File System Task] Error: An error occurred with the following error message: "Could not find a part of the path.".

I have crossed checked the path and the path of my destination is correct . In fact in my package i am using the same path to send two different files. One executes properly moving the FileA to correct destination. But same path gives error when parrelly FileB is moving.

Even this dosen't happenes always , its very in consistent. Some time the packages will execute absoutely fine, somethimes it dosen't. What can be the issue ?

-- I have a main package in which i am executing 70 child packages through Execute Package task. But the problem comes, when any of the 1 package dosen't executes or gives the error , the whole process of execution stops. So the packages after the error package do not execute only. Any way by which , we can move ahead , ignoring the error package. ??

Thanks & Regards, Bhavika
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 9:41 AM

Answers

• Well I've got no more suggestions.  "Could not find a part of the path." means exactly that i.e. the path/file does not exist.  Perhaps you could upload your project somewhere so that we can have a look at it and verify that it is executing as you explain. 

BTW, you mention that FileA and FileB are copied.  How are these files created?

Jeff Wharton MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt) MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA, MCSD, MCAD
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:38 AM

All replies

• Do any of your child packages rely on other child packages i.e. Is there a child package that creates FileB and another child package that moves FileB to your destination?

Jeff Wharton MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt)
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 10:34 AM
  • Hi,

I have one package that creates folder in which the other child packages moves the file to. Example : Package1 creates a Folder(05-11-2011) and then Package2 moves the FileA to destination folder(folder created). 

There is no issue with that package which creates folder.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:16 AM
  • This will cause a problem unless you have your Execute Package Tasks linked by constraints. If your tasks aren't linked, there's no guarantee that they will execute in the order you need them too i.e. Package2 may execute before Package1 and on other occasions Package1 may execute before Package2. This explains why your package succeeds sometimes and fails other times.

"Could not find a part of the path." is happening because Package2 has executed prior to Package1

BTW, why do you have these as separate packages?  This can all be done in the one package.

Jeff Wharton MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt) MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA, MCSD, MCAD

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:23 AM
  • No my packages are linked. An in any case Package1 executes first creates a folder anf then Package2 executes. As i mentioned . Same package has 2 file moves to same destination. One happenes but the other fails. So it i think its not this issue.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:30 AM
  • Well I've got no more suggestions.  "Could not find a part of the path." means exactly that i.e. the path/file does not exist.  Perhaps you could upload your project somewhere so that we can have a look at it and verify that it is executing as you explain. 

BTW, you mention that FileA and FileB are copied.  How are these files created?

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:38 AM
  • Maybe it's part of this known bug?

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/180741/file-system-task-sepcifying-filename-when-moving-file-results-in-error

The workaround for this bug seems to be to make one file system task to copy the file and then a second task to delete the old file.

I did it myself and it worked after I changed my one move file system task to the copy task and then the delete task.

g

Thursday, June 21, 2012 8:37 PM