none
SSRS Date Parameter - How to remove time from a date/time parameter

Question

• I've got a report that uses StartDate and EndDate parameters. I would like to keep the data type as date/time because it allows the user to use a calendar to select a date. This all works fine until I try to specify a default date using a query. I calculate the FirstDayOfMonth and the CurrentDate for the StartDate and EndDate, but when I specify the defaults, the time also displays. Is there a way to keep the parameter as a date/time but not have the time show.  Once the time has displayed, selecting a date using the calendar continues to show the time.

Before I added the default dates, it worked fine. The user could select the date from the calendar and it only showed the date (not the time). If I convert the default dates to varchar, the report says it is an invalid data type. I know I can change the parameters to 'String' types, but then the user doesn't get a calendar to select the dates if they wish to change them.

Is there a way to get the best of both worlds? I would like to have the calendar available, but I would also like to specify a default date without showing the time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:21 PM

Answers

• Dave,

The viewer will not show the time part if it's midnight. When you pick a date off of the datepicker, you get midnight on that day, so the viewer doesn't show the time. You can see this clearly by setting your default to "=Today()" and then to "=Now()", and you'll see the difference.

In your expression or query, if you can drive the time part of the datetime to midnight (00:00:00), the viewer won't show the time part.

Regards.

Mike
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 12:59 AM

All replies

• Dave,

The viewer will not show the time part if it's midnight. When you pick a date off of the datepicker, you get midnight on that day, so the viewer doesn't show the time. You can see this clearly by setting your default to "=Today()" and then to "=Now()", and you'll see the difference.

In your expression or query, if you can drive the time part of the datetime to midnight (00:00:00), the viewer won't show the time part.

Regards.

Mike
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 12:59 AM
  • Thanks, that did the trick!
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:21 PM
  • In your expression or query, if you can drive the time part of the datetime to midnight (00:00:00), the viewer won't show the time part.

FYI, I'd seen elsewhere to use the "Label" property of the parameter, but Mark's tip above only worked when using the "Value" property of the parameter.   So... 

This did *not* work -- when the time portion was midnight, the time portion still showed: 
    =Parameters!<parameterName>.Label 
    =Parameters!StartDate.Label 

But this *did* work -- when the time portion was midnight, the time portion disappeared: 
    =Parameters!<parameterName>.Value 
    =Parameters!StartDate.Value 

HTH... 

Doug Ivison

Friday, May 23, 2014 7:14 PM