none
Question about AdventureWorksDW2008R2 sample database

Question

• Hi,

I found that all of the facts tables in the AdventureWorksDW2008R2 include a RevisionNumber column which always includes “1”.

What is the usage of RevisionNumber colums?

Thank you,

• Moved by Challen Fu Tuesday, March 27, 2012 5:36 AM (From:SQL Server Analysis Services)
    Saturday, March 24, 2012 10:36 PM

Answers

• Data in fact tables can change over time so one implementation for tracking changes is to implement a Revision/Version number.  The values are all 1 because no changes have been made to the data in the fact tables.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

• Marked as answer by amx2012 Friday, April 06, 2012 10:00 PM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:53 AM

All replies

• Hi amx,

I move it to SQL Server Samples and Community Projects forum to receive more specific support.

Challen Fu

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 5:40 AM
  • Data in fact tables can change over time so one implementation for tracking changes is to implement a Revision/Version number.  The values are all 1 because no changes have been made to the data in the fact tables.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton

• Marked as answer by amx2012 Friday, April 06, 2012 10:00 PM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:53 AM
  • Hi Jeff,

What would be the update senario? Should I update the record and set the RevisionNumber to 2 or insert a new record with updated data and RevisionNumber = 2?

Thank you for help,

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 4:19 AM
  • It depends on how you'd like to handle fact table updates. 

As you are now seeking advice on how to handle fact table updates, I'd suggest that you post your question in one of the SSAS forums http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlanalysisservices/threads

Jeff Wharton

Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:48 AM