none
FoxPro DBF files to SqlServer 2012 Express?

Question

• Hello,

Just looking in to my options and was looking for some insight from the Pros. 

We have an old FoxPro program that uses about 185 DBF, CDX, and FPT files.  I am not sure if they are in DBASE or are VFP Database files, but currently I have to use Freeware (DBFView etc) to view the data, then export to CSV, then import that CSV into Access 2007.  I am more familiar with Access, but not sure if it is the right tool for this job. 

Now that I stumbled across SQL Server Express as being Free, I am wondering if this is a better option and how it will integrate with the old data and mostly, if that data can be imported in to SQL easier.  I am a AS/400 programmer mostly so I have SQL Experience, and have had to work with VB6 as well, but don't have much FoxPro or DBF experience at all.  I can run the FoxPro application, but I don't think the source code is available anymore or if it is, I don't have Fox Pro to migrate the code over. 

Prior to getting the old data loaded, new data will be coming in from downloaded CSV and flat files, so I will need to code for those imports and will also need to allow for some manaul entries in to the tables.  Reporting from this data will also be needed. 

So basically, I am now downloading the Sql Server 2012 Express Advanced option with all the tools, so I am wondering if I can perform these tasks all in 1 place.  Or perhaps I will need VB.net or something along those lines?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Thursday, June 21, 2012 3:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can use SQL Server 2012 Express if the database size is less than 10 GB. There is a free tool to import csv files, you do not need to write any custom tool. It is accessible in SSMS called import/export wizard.

I hope it helps.

Janos

There are 10 type of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

My Blog | Hire Me

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 1:55 PM