none
SQL Server 2008 R2 installation

Question

• I was trying to install SQL Server 2008 R2 express. I got the following error message. Please help me to solve the problem.

Thanks

[Error Message]
    Attributes do not match. Present attributes (Directory, Compressed) , included attributes (0), excluded attributes (Compressed, Encrypted).

[Details]
    Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Sco.DirectoryAttributesMissmatch: Attributes do not match. Present attributes (Directory, Compressed) , included attributes (0), excluded attributes (Compressed, Encrypted).
    ================================================================================

Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:39 PM

Answers

• For those that stumble upon this as well. I had the same issue with SQL Server 2008r2 on a Dev box.

For me, the error message was valid, the setup had found compressed files and "Compressed" is an excluded attribute.

So decompress folders C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server and if you have it C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server.

Good luck

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 10:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

this two sites should help you:

Best Regards. Please Mark Answered, If my solution solves your problem.
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:53 PM
  • Hi santanusen,

The problem might be the SQL Server 2008 R2 installation folder has the Archive attribute set which will prevent the setup program to validate the installation folder during the setup process. To work around this problem, remove the Archive attribute from the installation folder. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Open the folder that contains the folder that has the Archive attribute.
    2. Right-click the folder that you want to remove the Archive attribute from, and then click Properties.
    3. On the General tab, click Advanced.
    4. On the Advanced Attributes tab, click to clear the Folder is ready for archiving check box.

If the installation folder does not exist, remove the Archive attribute from the closest parent folder. For example, you install SQL Server 2008 R2 into the following folder:

C:\FolderA\FolderB\FolderC

The FolderC folder does not exist. The FolderB folder has the Archive attribute set. In this situation, you must remove the Archive attribute from the FolderB folder.

For more information: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957453

Best Regards,
    Stephanie Lv

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 12:25 PM
  • For those that stumble upon this as well. I had the same issue with SQL Server 2008r2 on a Dev box.

For me, the error message was valid, the setup had found compressed files and "Compressed" is an excluded attribute.

So decompress folders C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server and if you have it C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server.

Good luck

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 10:39 AM
  • thanks  Simon Wiggins... worked like magic
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 8:47 PM