none
SQL Server Express Edition: Management Studio Express 2008

Question

• Can anybody tell me where could I find Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Edition: Management Studio Express 2008??? Please I need to know where can I find it. I want to learn how to use this tools.

Thanks for any help.

reboot

Thursday, October 30, 2008 1:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• You may download it from here . You will have to download either SQL Server 2008 Express with Tools  or SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services . When you install , if you need only tools , select only Workstation components, .

Madhu

Thursday, October 30, 2008 2:00 PM
  • Thanks Madhu.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 4:24 PM
  • I had been running SQL Server Express 2005 and was appropriately using SQL Server Management Studio Express with it.

I upgraded using "SQL Server Express 2008 with Tools", but the management studio express appropriate to SQL Server Express 2008 is not present.  The old 2005 version is still around under the SQL Server Express 2005 folders, but no new management studio that can run with 2008 is present.

What do I need to do?

Thanx

Thursday, October 30, 2008 6:11 PM
  •  

I think I found my answer so I might as well post my findings for anyone else who runs into this issue.

Uninstall the SQL Server Express 2005 tools (incl. SQL Server Management Studio 2005 Express)

Then in the SQL Server Express 2008 installation center, the first choice reads...

"New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation"

Well, I didn't want to create a new installation, but I do want the new features Wink

BTW, the option further down below on the center...

Upgrade from SQL Server 2000 or SQL Server 2005

does not install the management studio tools for 2008.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 6:35 PM