none
Defining CNAME for Named SQL Instances.

Question

• Hi,

I am looking for a way to define DNS CNAME form "Named SQL Instances" i.e. if I want to give a name like DBSQLP01 to SQLSERVER1\Instance1. Also all my instances are listening on static ports.

Is this possible ? If yes,

Can anyone help me in this regards, ?

Regards,
    Deepak
    Monday, November 09, 2009 5:00 PM

Answers

• DNS does not contain port information by design.  It may work IFF you have one instance per computer listening on the default TCP port.  I'm assuming you wish to have multiple instances per machine, hence the question.  AFAIK, this is not possible, as SQL instances are not treated like VirtualHosts in a webserver.

You may consider adding a server alias that is deployed to any client machines, e.g. ReportingDB -> CentralSqlServer\Reporting
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:49 PM

All replies

• DNS does not contain port information by design.  It may work IFF you have one instance per computer listening on the default TCP port.  I'm assuming you wish to have multiple instances per machine, hence the question.  AFAIK, this is not possible, as SQL instances are not treated like VirtualHosts in a webserver.

You may consider adding a server alias that is deployed to any client machines, e.g. ReportingDB -> CentralSqlServer\Reporting
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:49 PM
  • Many thanks Casey, we have resorted to the alais method on cient machines.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 12:14 PM