none
SQL 2005 collation set / sort order

Question

• I'm in the process of migrating an existing sql server 2000 that currently has the following collation set / sort order :

SQL_Latin1_General_CP850_CS_AS.

I would like to know what the corresponding collation set / sort order is for SQL Server 2005.  Looking at the option when installing there doesn't seem to be an option for 850 multilingual and case sensitive and accent sensitive.  This is when selecting SQL Collations 9used for compatability with previous version of SQL Server).

If I were to select Latin1_General and check the Case sensitive and Accent sensitive would this give me the desired results ?

Ant help appreciated...

Thursday, September 20, 2007 1:28 PM

All replies

• Actually the base SQL_Latin1_General_CP850 code page can be used with many country and language specific collations in 2005 per the link below and no SQL_Latin1_General_ just covers the generic Western Europe code page 1252 and not the complex languages covered by CP850. In the second link copy the code page 1252 and CP850 and you will see the difference. Hope this helps.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms180175.aspx

http://czyborra.com/charsets/codepages.html

Thursday, September 20, 2007 4:16 PM
  • Thanks for your reply, I still haven't resolved my problem.  I need to install SQL Server 2005 with a collation set /sort order that is compatable with : SQL_Latin1_General_CP850_CS_AS.  On the installation there isn't such an option and I was wondering if the following is the same : SQL_Latin1_General_CP850_BIN

All help is welcomed.

Friday, September 21, 2007 7:37 PM
  • I don't think SQL Server 2005 gives you collation options when you install because collation is very granular down to the DML level but it takes the default from your operating system language.  So you have two options either use the regional in control panel or just right click in the object browser in Management Studio and go to server properties and change the collation to the one it is that simple.   Now BIN being the fastest sort could give you better performance but it may not give you accent sensitive letters. Hope this helps.

SQL_Latin1_General_Cp850_CS_AS

Friday, September 21, 2007 7:49 PM