none
What is DDNI?

Question

• Please pardon me in advance for my lack of understanding of all these new tools and technologies, but I'm making a leap here from SQL 2000 to Visual Studio 2010 and SQL 2008 and I'm finding that things have become quite complicated. It has been a struggle to get this far but I am making some progress but it seems that I'm hitting many road blocks along the way. The VS2010 install included SQL Express but I couldn't find a way to do a simple db restore within the VS environment. I subsequently found out that I needed SQL Server Management Studio. After much teeth gnashing and consternation I FINALLY got that installed. I really thought I was on my way until I attempted to create a database and was informed that I didn't have sufficient permissions. Ok, now what? I am the admin of this Win7 x64 notebook and using windows authentication to login. I do note that when I login to the server I have a couple of choices for servers. One is for 'local' which absolutely does not connect. The other is for my notebook name with '\DDNI' following the name. I don't have a clue what DDNI is or means and some MSDN & Google searches have not provided much more information. Looking at the file structure with Window explorer I see under Program Files, a folder named DDNi and a sub folder called Oasis. I also note that an Oasis database is in the object explorer of the Management Studio. Secondly, looking at Windows explorer, I note under ProgramFiles(x86) a 'MSSQL10.DDNI' folder which by all appearances has the normal folders for a SQL database. However under the regular ProgramFiles folder (not x86) I have under Microsoft SQL Server, a folder called MSSQL10.SQLEXPRESS.  At this point I'm getting really confused. I can't create a database and it seems I can't connect to a 'local' server, which is what I was use to doing with SQL 2000. I could use some guidance if anyone would be so kind to help out an "old guy".

Thanks

Saturday, August 14, 2010 12:21 AM

Answers

• Update: I was able to finally login to my local instance of SQL Express and create a database. I found the answer here;

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlexpress/thread/c318a3db-f929-437b-bbf1-1f30e832ca2a

<Quote>

Hello,

You may tell that the server name is the name of the computer where the SQL Server is installed ( but for some people, it means computername\instancename ).
    <End Quote>

I had to enter computername\SQLExpress to get there.

Anyway, My original question about DDNI stands. It looks as if I have another instance of SQL Server installed with this name. Could this be a sample instance of some sort?

Sunday, August 15, 2010 1:26 PM

All replies