none
Powerpivot for Excel deployed to the cloud?

Question

• Dear all,

My customer is a small business of about 25 people spread throughout the UK.

Currently, they have a small datamart I created using an on-premise SQL Server (Express) database that they update through weekly uploads and/or MS Access front-end.

They then use view the data through one or more PowerPivot Excel spreadsheet that one of their employee has created (aka my wife).

We would like to make these spreadsheet available to other end users through Excel 2013.

I am under the impression that we should simply upload these spreadsheets somewhere on the cloud so that all employees could download it whenever they wish. 

For updates, my wife would have to update the spreadsheets on a regular basis and upload them to the cloud again.

I know I could move the database to the cloud but I don't see that helping too much for this particular purpose since the spreadsheets would still need to be updated every week, and my end users are not all "confident" with computers.

Does this sound like a decent solution? Or am I missing some major point?

Thanks

Eric

Eric Mamet _ MCDBA, SQL Server 2005 MCTS, MCAD .Net

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 11:58 AM

Answers

• Excel Services (Pivot Tables, etc) renders OK in the IPad, but not Power View.  This last one requires SliverLight as of now (being repackaged as HTML5 in PowerBI so this one be an issue(

For the moment, if Ipad is in the picture, narrow your reports to Excel formats (or SSRS, as it can also consume the model even in the cloud).

Javier Guillen
    http://javierguillen.wordpress.com/

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 4:05 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Eric,

A potential solution is using a PowerPivot for SharePoint cloud instance. In that way, you can publish the workbook and have others access it through the SharePoint portal or though their local Excel workbooks (as an extranet).  There are companies that specialize in that type of infrastructure.

Email me to Javier.guillen@mariner-usa.com and I can walk you through the details.

Javier Guillen

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 1:37 PM
    Answerer
  • That's quite interesting...

Thanks

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 1:53 PM
  • Actually, these users have both an IPAD and a laptop.

Would PowerPivot for sharepoint render all right on an IPAD?

Or does it rely on something like Silverlight...

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 3:49 PM
  • Excel Services (Pivot Tables, etc) renders OK in the IPad, but not Power View.  This last one requires SliverLight as of now (being repackaged as HTML5 in PowerBI so this one be an issue(

For the moment, if Ipad is in the picture, narrow your reports to Excel formats (or SSRS, as it can also consume the model even in the cloud).

Javier Guillen

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 4:05 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks

Thursday, September 26, 2013 8:19 AM