none
SQL2005 x64 on Windows Server 2008 x64 - One or more of the components being installed are already registered as 32 bit components in the target application.

Question

• Failed to install and configure assemblies E:\Program Files_64bit\Microsoft SQL Server\90\DTS\Tasks\Microsoft.sqlServer.MSMSTask.dll in the COM+ catalog.
    Error -2146233087. Error message: Unknown error 0x80131501
    Error Description: One or more of the components being installed are already registered as 32 bit components in the target application.
    (a) You must install the 64 bit versions of the components being installed in a different COM+ application,
    or
    (b) delete the existing 32 bit versions of the components being installed from the target COM+ application prior to attemping install of the 64 bit versions.
    COM+ applications cannot contain bit neutral components.
    Copied From installation Summary
    <Func Name='LaunchFunction'>
    Function=Do_sqlAssemblyRegSvcs
    <Func Name='GetCAContext'>
    <EndFunc Name='GetCAContext' Return='T' GetLastError='0'>
    Doing Action: Do_sqlAssemblyRegSvcs
    PerfTime Start: Do_sqlAssemblyRegSvcs : Mon Sep 14 14:35:26 2009
    <Func Name='Do_sqlAssemblyRegSvcs'>
    Failed to install and configure assemblies E:\Program Files_64bit\Microsoft SQL Server\90\DTS\Tasks\Microsoft.SqlServer.MSMQTask.dll in the COM+ catalog.
    Error: 2148734209
    Error message: Unknown error 0x80131501
    Error descrition: One or more of the components being installed are already registered as 32 bit components in the target application. You must install the 64 bit versions of the components being installed in a different COM+ application, or delete the existing 32 bit versions of the components being installed from the target COM+ application prior to attempting install of the 64 bit versions. COM+ applications cannot contain bit neutral components.
            Error Code: -2146233087
    Windows Error Text:   Source File Name: sqlca\sqlassembly.cpp
    Compiler Timestamp: Thu Aug 11 01:12:01 2005
         Function Name: Do_sqlAssemblyRegSvcs
    Source Line Number: 155

Error Code: -2146233087
    MSI (s) (7C!60) [14:43:05:232]: Product: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Integration Services (64-bit) -- Error 29549. Failed to install and configure assemblies E:\Program Files_64bit\Microsoft SQL Server\90\DTS\Tasks\Microsoft.SqlServer.MSMQTask.dll in the COM+ catalog. Error: -2146233087
    Error description: One or more of the components being installed are already registered as 32 bit components in the target application. You must install the 64 bit versions of the components being installed in a different COM+ application, or delete the existing 32 bit versions of the components being installed from the target COM+ application prior to attempting install of the 64 bit versions. COM+ applications cannot contain bit neutral components.

Error 29549. Failed to install and configure assemblies E:\Program Files_64bit\Microsoft SQL Server\90\DTS\Tasks\Microsoft.SqlServer.MSMQTask.dll in the COM+ catalog. Error: -2146233087
    Error description: One or more of the components being installed are already registered as 32 bit components in the target application. You must install the 64 bit versions of the components being installed in a different COM+ application, or delete the existing 32 bit versions of the components being installed from the target COM+ application prior to attempting install of the 64 bit versions. COM+ applications cannot contain bit neutral components.
    <Failure Type='Ignored'>
    <EndFunc Name='LaunchFunction' Return='0' GetLastError='203'>

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:59 PM

Answers

• When I had this problem, I had performed the following steps:

Deleting MSMQTask COM+ Components from Component Services:
    - Open: Start\Programs\Administrative Tools\Components Services,
    - Expand "Component Services" -> "My Computer" -> "COM+ Applications",
    - You'll see "Microsoft.SqlServer.MSMQTask" component. Right click on it and Delete it.
    - If that dialog box is open which poped up during SQL Server Setup then click Retry, otherwise start over and this problem will be gone.

Ekrem Onsoy - MCDBA, MCITP:DBA, MCSD.Net, MCT, SQL Server MVP
    • Marked as answer by Thomaswood2009 Thursday, September 17, 2009 8:37 AM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:40 AM

All replies

• When I had this problem, I had performed the following steps:

Deleting MSMQTask COM+ Components from Component Services:
    - Open: Start\Programs\Administrative Tools\Components Services,
    - Expand "Component Services" -> "My Computer" -> "COM+ Applications",
    - You'll see "Microsoft.SqlServer.MSMQTask" component. Right click on it and Delete it.
    - If that dialog box is open which poped up during SQL Server Setup then click Retry, otherwise start over and this problem will be gone.

Ekrem Onsoy - MCDBA, MCITP:DBA, MCSD.Net, MCT, SQL Server MVP
    • Marked as answer by Thomaswood2009 Thursday, September 17, 2009 8:37 AM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:40 AM
  • Thanks, Ekrem.
    The problem is resolved.
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 8:38 AM
  • Thanks...  I ran into the same problem and your post bailed me out!  Thanks!
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:21 PM
  • This is such an obscure (I think) problem... to find such a straightforward solution... Awesome... Thank you.
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 10:03 PM
  • Thanx Ekrem, worked like a charm.
    Friday, February 18, 2011 10:54 PM
  • Yes,

this solved my problem too, thanks!

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 11:35 AM
  • Life saver - uninstalling and reinstalling sql has been a pain, with different 32bit and 64bits editions, and 2005 and 2008 versions.

I dont know how many days I have wasted trying to clean up a failed install.

Why does MS not over simple solutions like this as opposed to the error that it does.

Thanks again

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:19 PM
  • Work for me , THANKS!!
    Friday, January 27, 2012 9:18 PM
  • Thanks.  I ran into the same problem.  Your answer was simple and to the point.  Best of all - it actually solved the problem!
    Thursday, March 22, 2012 3:19 PM
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

Jim

Thursday, June 07, 2012 7:13 PM