none
Is it possible to deploy report to report manager when i don't have permissions for Data source folder

Question

• HI All,

When i was trying to deploy the reports into report manger i encountered below error:

Cannot deploy the report because the shared data source '/Data Sources/AAA' that the report references does not exist on the report server.

I know this error is because of lack of permissions on Data sources Folder. I got same issue a week back got rid of it when i got permissions on DS folder.

But now because of changing security policies they can't give me the permissions for DS(data source) folder.

My question is ---> Is it possible to deploy the report even though i don't have permissions on DS folder. One more thing i don't have to rewrite data source.

• Edited by Jyo1105 Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:19 PM
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:18 PM

Answers

All replies

• What version of SSRS are you using

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/643701/cannot-deploy-report-from-bids-based-on-a-report-model-shared-data-source

It seems this is a known issue - if you do not have access to the Data Source you cannot deploy an associated report...

Thanks! Josh

Friday, September 27, 2013 12:09 AM
  • It is preety straight that when one does not have permission to read/view the datasource, it does not make sense to view the report out of that datasource. I am not sure on the security policy you have but i think read only access to the folder with resolve the problem. 

Regards, RSingh

Friday, September 27, 2013 3:31 AM
  • It is preety straight that when one does not have permission to read/view the datasource, it does not make sense to view the report out of that datasource. I am not sure on the security policy you have but i think read only access to the folder with resolve the problem. 

The question is, is it by design that you need permission to a report's shared data sources in order to deploy it, and if so  - where is it documented? I cannot find documentation pointing one way or the other on this issue. 

I think the user made it clear that [1] they are aware that lack of permission to the data source folder is the issue and [2] they stipulated clearly what the security policy of the company is and [3] They know read access will solve the issue. 

Thanks! Josh

Sunday, September 29, 2013 10:52 PM