none
SQL Server 2012 Express: SQL Server 2012 Management Studio (SSMS)-How to populate data in the SSMS table that has been formatted?

Question

• Hi all,

I have the table of SQL Server 2012 Express: SQL Server 2012 Management Studio (SSMS) formatted - see http://ge.tt/BEDQbFY/v/0 for details.  I don't know how to populate this formatted table with data.  (Note: SSMS 2012 is quite different from SSMS 2008).  Please help and advise me (i) how to get the actural table showed up, and (ii)  how to populate the 2012 SSMS table with data.

Thanks in advance,

Scott Chang

• Edited by Scott_Chang Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:14 PM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Scott,

I checked the website and didn’t find the screenshot, please upload the screenshot to Skydrive and post the link here. Based on your information, it seems that the data showed as text rather than a table. To show the result as a table, please click “Query” (SQL Server Management Studio menu bar), “Result To”, “Result to grid”. Additionally, you said something about table design and how to input data into table with SQL Server Management Studio. To view the table design, please right click the table, and then click “Design”. To edit the table record, we can right click the table and click “Edit Top 200 Rows”, or use “Insert” command. For more detail information, please refer to the following link:

INSERT (Transact-SQL)
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174335.aspx

Allen Li
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 14, 2013 6:17 AM

All replies

• Hello Scott,

When I open the ge.tt "link" I get an error message; can you simply add screenshots to your posts here?

What do you mean with "populate this formatted table"? To insert data you can use an INSERT (Transact-SQL) statement.

Olaf Helper

Blog Xing

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:14 PM
  • Hi Olaf Helper,

I don't know how to add my "screenshot" to this forum. Please give me the instructions for doing that.

What I mean by "populate this formatted table": I have the title of columns, data type, and "Allow Null" formatted/defined.  I want add the data into the table (e.g. in "ID" Colummn, I want to type 1, 2, 3...: in "X" Column, I want to type in the X-coordinate of a point location).  Am I clear to let you know what I mean by "populate this table"?

Please help and respond.

Thanks,

Scott Chang

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 9:02 PM
  • Hello Scott,

When you write a post, there is an icon to upload an image

You can insert data with an INSERT command, as I already wrote. A simple INSERT with the different data types looks like:

INSERT INTO yourTable
        (StringColum, IntegerColumn, FloatColumn, ...)
    VALUES
        ('StringValue', 123, 4.567, ....)

Olaf Helper

Blog Xing

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 5:29 AM
  • Hi Olaf,  Thanks for your response.

1) I tried to put the thing you asked by using the "Square"box your "Red Arrow" pointed to - I am not able to proceed after I got my screenshot!!!???   Please try to see it in http://ge.tt/ again!!!

2) This morning, I opened my SSMS 2012 and I saw the names of the Columns.  But I have no way to add the data I want to add as I did in my 2008 SSMS before!!!???

3) Yesterday, I saw an article "Getting Started with SQL Server 2012 Express LocalDB" by Aaron Bertrand in http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2694/getting-... Aaran said that x64/SqlLocalDB.MSI or x86/SqlLocalDB.MSI is needed in the 2012 SSMS.  I am going to ask our Computer Team to install it soon.  I am very confused in getting started with my 2012 SSMS.   What do you think about the Solution (using the x64...MSI, etc.) to the Problem of using the 2012 SSMS Aaron Bertrand pointed out?  

4) I am not able to understand your "INSERT INTO yourTable" box at all!!!???

I am completely lost in getting started with my 2012 SSMS/SQL Server 2012 Express and the regular SQL Server 2012 in SQL Server Import and Export Wizard!!!???   Please give me the simple, basic steps/instructions to get my input tables filled out and used in the 2012 SSMS for doing T-SQL programming (like query the "high-value" data).

Please respond.

Thanks,

Scott Chang  

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 1:32 PM
  • Hi Scott,

I checked the website and didn’t find the screenshot, please upload the screenshot to Skydrive and post the link here. Based on your information, it seems that the data showed as text rather than a table. To show the result as a table, please click “Query” (SQL Server Management Studio menu bar), “Result To”, “Result to grid”. Additionally, you said something about table design and how to input data into table with SQL Server Management Studio. To view the table design, please right click the table, and then click “Design”. To edit the table record, we can right click the table and click “Edit Top 200 Rows”, or use “Insert” command. For more detail information, please refer to the following link:

INSERT (Transact-SQL)
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174335.aspx

Allen Li
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 14, 2013 6:17 AM
  • 4) I am not able to understand your "INSERT INTO yourTable" box at all!!!???

I am completely lost in getting started with ....

Scott,

I am sorry to say it, but it's not possible to teach you via forum threads the complete SQL stuff. Get some SQL books, study online courses for SQL and may join some training sessions

Olaf Helper

Blog Xing

Thursday, February 14, 2013 6:29 AM