none
Windows service won't start on a different machine

Question

• I created a windows service under Network service account that works fine on my local computer, dev environment. I want to test it on a different computer so i copied and installed the msi file from inside the setup project to a different machine. Checked Allow remote connections on my local MSSQLSERVER instance.

When i try to start the service - it says the service on local computer started and then stopped. sdome services stop automatically is they are not in use by other services or programs.

So i checked the eventviewer, it says - Service cannot be started.System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot open MSSQLSERVER service on computer <name>

This is urgent, any help is appreciated.

Thanks

• Edited by Natty PLC Thursday, May 03, 2012 9:02 PM
    Wednesday, May 02, 2012 10:17 PM

Answers

• don't worry about it Dave. looks like the application was accesiing sql server service that was making it to fail. That is figured out now.

Thanks anyway.

• Proposed as answer by Dave PatrickMVP Saturday, May 05, 2012 1:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Natty PLC Monday, May 07, 2012 4:58 PM
    Friday, May 04, 2012 11:43 PM

All replies

• It may be DCOM settings but I'd get in touch with the developer.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 03, 2012 2:25 AM
  • I don't understand. Could you elaborate a bit more.
    Thursday, May 03, 2012 8:53 PM
  • Some details here.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738214(v=ws.10).aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246054

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/176799

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, May 04, 2012 12:54 AM
  • I haven't created anything remotely related to DCOM. I have created a simple windows service in .net under network service account, that runs fine on my dev machine. It accesses the local database, looks up the subscriber list for the required events from a table and sends out an email to them. The config file for the service has the connection string for dev, test and prod servers. It works fine in dev machine with dev connection string. But doesn't work on a different computer:(

I don't know how to connect the dots between DCOM and my service.

Friday, May 04, 2012 5:25 PM
  • don't worry about it Dave. looks like the application was accesiing sql server service that was making it to fail. That is figured out now.

Thanks anyway.

• Proposed as answer by Dave PatrickMVP Saturday, May 05, 2012 1:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Natty PLC Monday, May 07, 2012 4:58 PM
    Friday, May 04, 2012 11:43 PM
  • Good to hear its sorted.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Saturday, May 05, 2012 1:23 AM