none
unexpected results using FREETEXT search

Question

• Hi All

I am using Freetext search in sqlserver 2008 r2 and iam getting unwanted results too which dont have my serching key word..  why is that

Is there anything with my indexes

If so how could i fix it..

Thanks

Romex

Monday, April 07, 2014 6:38 AM

All replies

• There is likely nothing wrong with your indexes.   However, you are using FREETEXT which is less precise than CONTAINS.  FREETEXT effectively ORs the various words that you are searching for and does other transformations.  Some things that happen are:

• Separates the string into individual words based on word boundaries (word-breaking).
    • Generates inflectional forms of the words (stemming).
    • Identifies a list of expansions or replacements for the terms based on matches in the thesaurus.

Therefore INFLECTIONS of words are also included.  E.g. you could search for run and also get ran, running, etc.

If you need more precise answers, the look into using the CONTAINS operator rather than FREETEXT.   (Or use CONTAINSTABLE rather than FREETEXTABLE.)

See this for more explanation: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms142583.aspx

RLF

Monday, April 07, 2014 8:26 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for your reply

I tried with CONTAINSTABLE but still its same..  I have a html tag column which has huge html code ..  i checked on that even but i couldn't find out the word i am searching in the generated output result

Regards

Tuesday, April 08, 2014 11:08 AM
  • Well, it is difficult to trouble-shoot a particular full text query remotely.   What is your search string?  And what words are you looking for?

RLF

Tuesday, April 08, 2014 12:14 PM
  • There will always be a logical reason why a dataset is returned. Can you post your query and an example of the returned dataset (preferably a matching one and a non-matching result that was returned).

We can then see what's going on.

Thanks

Tuesday, April 08, 2014 12:57 PM