none
Moving SQL Server to a new Domain

Question

• Hi

We have been taken over by another company and have migrated all our AD Accounts PC's and Servers to the new Domain except for our SQL servers that are still running in the old domain.

I need to move the SQL servers to the new Domain now.  We are still running Windows 2003 AD.  We have a full trust relationship between the old Domain and the New Domain.  We have all the SQL Services running as service accounts in the New Domain.

Is there anything else I should consider before moving the Old SQL Servers to the New Domain?

Regards

Kevan

Friday, April 05, 2013 8:53 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

In this scenario I would probably change the service account to local system accounts, them move the server from one domain to another, then change the service accounts to domain accounts. However, I think your plan should work also.

Please consider logins related to domain accounts.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Friday, April 05, 2013 10:52 AM
  • hi there,

how are the users/apps in the new domain accessing the sql server in the old domain. Directly using their domain accounts or thru some middle-tier ? Before you move your sql server, you might want to test database access by granting the new domain user/groups access to your sql server since you already have a trust relationship between domains.

any existing SQL agent jobs running under proxies ? these credentials ( tied to the proxies ) need to be updated to use accounts in the new domain.

Thong

Monday, April 08, 2013 7:40 AM
  • Hi

Thank you  both for your replies.

Kevan

Friday, April 12, 2013 7:57 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for visiting MSDN forums!

Have a great day!

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com