none
SQL Server Express on a network

Question

• Hi,

im redeveloping my application from using access 2000/DAO to VS2005 professional/SQL server express using ADO.NET (i use VB), and just want to make sure i'm on the right lines about using sql server express 2005 on a network. i've spent hours reading every concievable article on the web after failing to create a database on a network drive, and ive just come across a good artricle here but want to be sure i understand what i need to do properly.

am i correct in the following please:

• i only need 1 instance of SQL Server installed on the server, local PC's that will be using my SQL database do not need SQL server/management express installing?
    • obviously the database resides on the same server as SQL server 2005 on the network.
    • i dont need any additional software/drivers etc installing on the local pc's (as a miniumum all local pc's will be running w2000 or XP)
    • In my local pc's, i set the connection string to point to the instance of SQL server on the server PC
    • i need to enable the tcp/ip connection stuff on the server.
    • all local PC's need .NET framework 2.0 installing, as well as the server.

as an additional question, what if an end user has another SQL version installed already, say the enterprise version? is it recommended i link my app. to that, or still use SQL express for my own purposes, and are there any issues with having both database engines existing on the same server?

is there a limit on the number of concurrent users. i have read in some places that there is a limit of 4 or 5, and elsewhere that there is not.

is there anything else i should consider?, and any other help or advice is welcome.

Many thanks in advance

Bob

Sunday, October 29, 2006 3:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Bob,

WinBase wrote:

• i only need 1 instance of SQL Server installed on the server, local PC's that will be using my SQL database do not need SQL server/management express installing?

True

WinBase wrote:

• obviously the database resides on the same server as SQL server 2005 on the network.

True

WinBase wrote:

• i dont need any additional software/drivers etc installing on the local pc's (as a miniumum all local pc's will be running w2000 or XP)

If you want to make use of new features in SQL 2005, you would need to install the SQL Native Client, which we call SNAC. You can still use the older MDAC components, which are included in Windows 2000 and XP if you don't need the updated functionality.

WinBase wrote:

• In my local pc's, i set the connection string to point to the instance of SQL server on the server PC

True

WinBase wrote:

Yes, and in most cases turn on SQL Browser and open exception in the Windows Firewall. See the FAQ at the top of the Forum for a pointer to information about setting up remote connections.

WinBase wrote:

If you're using VB.NET and ADO.NET 2.0, yes.

WinBase wrote:

as an additional question, what if an end user has another SQL version installed already, say the enterprise version? is it recommended i link my app. to that, or still use SQL express for my own purposes, and are there any issues with having both database engines existing on the same server?

I assume you mean if the end user has EE installed on a server, right? In that case, there is no problem using the existing server at the company provided that you can get proper authorization to install your database on that server and right for the user to access it. SQL Server is capable of hosting lots of databases, there is no need to install additional instances just for your application.

WinBase wrote:

is there a limit on the number of concurrent users. i have read in some places that there is a limit of 4 or 5, and elsewhere that there is not.

There is no limit on connections in SQL Express. The previous version, called MSDE, had a limit to the number of concurrent workloads that could be run, this was often mistaken as a limit on connections, which it was not. Check out Euan Garden's myth busters post for the difinitive history on this topic.

Mike

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 4:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Bob,

WinBase wrote:

True

WinBase wrote:

True

WinBase wrote:

If you want to make use of new features in SQL 2005, you would need to install the SQL Native Client, which we call SNAC. You can still use the older MDAC components, which are included in Windows 2000 and XP if you don't need the updated functionality.

WinBase wrote:

True

WinBase wrote:

Yes, and in most cases turn on SQL Browser and open exception in the Windows Firewall. See the FAQ at the top of the Forum for a pointer to information about setting up remote connections.

WinBase wrote:

If you're using VB.NET and ADO.NET 2.0, yes.

WinBase wrote:

I assume you mean if the end user has EE installed on a server, right? In that case, there is no problem using the existing server at the company provided that you can get proper authorization to install your database on that server and right for the user to access it. SQL Server is capable of hosting lots of databases, there is no need to install additional instances just for your application.

WinBase wrote:

There is no limit on connections in SQL Express. The previous version, called MSDE, had a limit to the number of concurrent workloads that could be run, this was often mistaken as a limit on connections, which it was not. Check out Euan Garden's myth busters post for the difinitive history on this topic.

Mike

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 4:01 AM
  • Thanks Mike :)

Bob

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 7:05 AM