none
Can't uninstall SQL Management Studio

Question

• After recovering from a crash caused by the Win 7 Anti-Spyware 2012 virus I am unable to execute SQL Management Studio.  It says 'Package SQL Management Studio Package unable to load'.  I downloaded a new version of SQL Management Studio and tried to uninstall the current SQL Management Studio but could not find it in the list of programs for uninstalling.  The nearest I could find was a program called SQLXML4 by Microsoft. Is this the name for SQL Management Studio in the Program Uninstall list? If not, how do I uninstall SQL Management Studio if I can't find it in the Uninstall panel?
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 5:00 AM

Answers

• Thanks to everyone who replied.  For now my problem has been resolved by deleting the desktop shortcut for SQL Server Manager Studio and then creating a new shortcut.  Since I made changes to the registry to delete the virus, I may have screwed up the desktop and the startmenu procedures.  Evidently, SQL Server Management Studio doesn't show up in the Uninstall Control Panel.  In addition to this problem, after the virus my Visual Studio program would not accept my existing program projects saying that Visual Studio cannot process a project having this format.  After reviewing other forums, I was told to run the command devenv/setup as a DOS command and it fixed the problem.  So I don't know if the virus caused these problems or if I screwed up the registry.  In either case, things are working but I still don't feel comfortable about the situation.  The next time the virus hits, I will forget messing with the registry and try to find an anti-spyware package that can eliminate it.
    • Proposed as answer by Iric WenModerator Thursday, December 29, 2011 1:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Thursday, December 29, 2011 6:17 AM
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 3:42 PM

All replies

• hi,

check below links follow the same for windows 7 as well

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955499/EN-US

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955404

you can try this command from command prompt

setup.exe /ACTION=uninstall /FEATURES=<var>Feature_List</var> /INSTANCENAME=<var>Instance_Name</var>

No SQLXML4 would not be name of sql managment studio

have you tried installing SQL server newly? try installing a new instance and see if it comes out clean...

Thanks

VVinayPrasad
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 12:34 PM
  • Yes, I did try to install a new version of SQL Management Studio but it said that there was an existing version and would not install.  When I tried to uninstall SQL Management Studio I could not find it in the list of programs in the Install/Uninstall panel.  I guess I could uninstall SQL Server 2005 itself and then reinstall everything.
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 3:57 PM
  • UH-OH!!  Having been through a similar process recently, all I can say is try the usual methods, and if nothing works, backup everything on your system, do a clean wipe, and reinstall everything.  I had some kind of perpetual looping thing, where I was prompted to download all kinds of Windows Critical Updates, some of which pertained specifically to SQL Server.  I went through this cycle of installing updates, only to see many fail.  I was then being prompted to install more updates; more failed.  I was prompted to uninstall several apps, one of which was SQL Server.  Finally, the system go so fragmented, I really couldn’t do anything useful or practical.  After a couple of months of dealing with this, and literally, some days, spending an entire day, installing and re-installing updates, I couldn’t take it anymore.  It took a good portion of one single day to do a backup, then do a clean wipe, and finally, I reinstalled everything.  It was totally worth it.  After that one day, things have been running perfectly fine ever since.

Good luck!

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 6:42 PM
  • I guess I will have to bite the bullet and do a clean install.  I cannot even do a system restore to a previous time period so you know things are screwed up.  I think murdering someone who writes these viruses should be legal.  I have enough problems just trying to write programs let alone deal with viruses.  I have Zone Alarm as my virus protector and it obviously failed on this one.  Should I get a new virus protector?
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 7:14 PM
  • Well, maybe Zone Alarm is preventing you from uninstalling it.  Disable that and try again.  Make sure ZA is truly disabled for the duration of your uninstall process.

If that doesn't work and you really do need to reimage the machine, try AVG 2012.  It is free and it works great!!

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:23 PM
  • Thanks for the tip on AVG 2012.  On a whim I started SQL Server Studio Management from the Start button rather than from the desktop and it worked ok! So I deleted the desktop icon and recreated a new shortcut and now it works ok.  I am not to sure what this means as I did make changes to the registry when getting rid of the virus and it may have affected desktop programs.  Now Visual Studio will not recognize my projects saying that Visual Studio is not set up for this type of project.  I don't know what that means either and I am in the process of uninstalling Visual as the re-install and repair did not make the error go away.  I am afraid there are more dragons lurking down the road from this damn virus.
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:41 PM
  • Hi Parrot,

If you can see the SQL Server 2005 in the 'control panel--Add or Remove Programs'. Please try uninstall SQL Server Management studio by following steps:

1.Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
    3.In the list of installed programs, click Microsoft SQL Server 2005, and then click Change.
    4. On the Component Selection page, select Workstation components, and then click Next.
    5. Click Next.
    6.On the Change or Remove Instance page, click Change Installed Components.
    7. Expand Client Components, click Management Tools, and then select Entire Feature will be Unavailable.
    8. Click Next.
    9. Click Install.

If there is no SQL Server 2005 in 'control panel--Add or Remove Programs', please try to repair your SQL Server using the installation media CD, and then check if your SQL Server Management Studio could work. If it still don't work, you can also uninstall it as I mentioned above.

Best Regards,
    Iric
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 9:50 AM
  • Maybe it is NOT a virus.  Maybe some files are scrambled, or fragmented, or something like that.  That was my problem.  I didn't want to backup my data and do a clean wipe, because I knew it would take an entire day.  Nevertheless, when I thought about it, I realized that I spent MANY full days working on it, and there was no end in sight.  Finally, I reimaged, reinstalled everything, and it has been working perfect ever since.
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 2:37 PM
  • Thanks to everyone who replied.  For now my problem has been resolved by deleting the desktop shortcut for SQL Server Manager Studio and then creating a new shortcut.  Since I made changes to the registry to delete the virus, I may have screwed up the desktop and the startmenu procedures.  Evidently, SQL Server Management Studio doesn't show up in the Uninstall Control Panel.  In addition to this problem, after the virus my Visual Studio program would not accept my existing program projects saying that Visual Studio cannot process a project having this format.  After reviewing other forums, I was told to run the command devenv/setup as a DOS command and it fixed the problem.  So I don't know if the virus caused these problems or if I screwed up the registry.  In either case, things are working but I still don't feel comfortable about the situation.  The next time the virus hits, I will forget messing with the registry and try to find an anti-spyware package that can eliminate it.
    • Proposed as answer by Iric WenModerator Thursday, December 29, 2011 1:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Thursday, December 29, 2011 6:17 AM
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 3:42 PM