none
Installing Microsoft SQL Server 2008 AdventureWorks Database in SQL Server 2008 Express:PrepInstance failed for MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS-Full Text Search is missing

Question

• Hi all,

I just have SQL Server 2008 Express installed in my office PC that is attached to our Microsoft NT 4 LAN System.  I tried to install Microsoft SQL Server 2008 AdventureWorks Database in my office PC via the Microsoft Download website => http://www.codeplex.com/MSFTDBProdSamples/Release/ProjectRelease.aspx. Microsoft Public License (Ms-PL) => I got to Database Setup and selected "SQLEXPRESS" as Local Database Instance for AdventureWorks => It tried to install the AdventureWorks Database for a while. But it stopped and showed the following error:  Microsoft SQL Server 2008 AdventureWorks Database.. X
                                                  PreInstance() failed for MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS
                                                  The following features are missing: Full Text Search
                                                  Fix the problem and re-run setup
                                                            |OK|

I do not know how to fix this problem (i.e. installing the "Full Text Search" file in the SQL Server 2008 Express in my office PC).  Please help and advise me how to resolve this problem.

Thanks in advance,
    Scott Chang
    Wednesday, February 04, 2009 5:11 PM

Answers

• Arguros, that sounds like one of the following:

1. (most likely) the SQL engine service is running under a different identity than the FTS service (make sure both services are running under the same identity),
    2. the service is disabled (enable it and start),
    3. the drive you installed SQL Server to is not available any more (uninstall/reinstall SQL Server),
    4. or there's corruption on the disk under the installation (start with CHKDSK).

Be sure that you only modify SQL Server services using SQL Server Configuration Manager. Do not modify SQL Server services using the services.msc (i.e. the administrator's Control Panel applet).

It's hard to diagnose definitively without more information about the installation.

David Reed - MSFT - Microsoft Certified Architect|SQL Server - http://blogs.msdn.com/reedme/
    Monday, April 06, 2009 3:19 PM
  • Hi

You can attach the old databases in two ways

a) Using SQL Server Management Studio

1)   Open SSMS
            2) Right click the databases->Attach

3) In the Attach Databases dialog box, to specify the database to be attached, click Add; and in the Locate Database Files dialog box, select the disk drive where the database resides and expand the directory tree to find and select the .mdf file of the database; for example:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\AdventureWorks_Data.mdf 

4. Optionally, to specify a different name for the database to attach as, enter the name in the Attach as column of the Attach Databases dialog box.

5. Optionally, change the owner of the database by selecting a different entry in the Owner column.

6. When you are ready to attach the database, click OK.

b) Using T SQL

for example:
    USE master;
    GO
    CREATE DATABASE MyAdventureWorks
        ON (FILENAME = 'C:\MySQLServer\AdventureWorks_Data.mdf'),
        (FILENAME = 'C:\MySQLServer\AdventureWorks_Log.ldf')
        FOR ATTACH;

Thanks
    Sreekar
    GO

Thursday, February 05, 2009 6:54 PM

All replies

• Seems SQL Server 2008 Express doesn't support Full Text Search. You have to install SQL Server 2008 with Advanced Services and select "Full-Text Search" in feature selection page.
    • Proposed as answer by GaryBarrett Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:16 PM
    Thursday, February 05, 2009 6:22 AM
  • Hi Jim, Thanks for your response.

I have SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services installed in my office PC.  I do not remember seeing the "Full Text Search" selection, when the PC crew in my office installed it for me.  Well, we missed that "Full Text Search" selection and the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 AdventureWorks is so big and complicated to install!!!  I do not need the "Full Text Search" option do learn some features in AdventureWorks. I have 3 old options of the AdventureWorks 2005: (1) AdventureWork 2005 by Code Plex, (2) AdventureWorksDB, and (3) AdventureWorksLT in my office. How can I install these 3 old options of the AdventureWorks 2005 in the SQL Server 2008 Express in my office PC?  Please help and advise me on this new attempt of installing  (1) AdventureWork 2005-Code Plex, (2) AdventureWorksDB, and (3) AdventureWorksLT in my SQL Server 2008 Express.

Thanks,
    Scott Chang

P. S. 
    I just used the old Microsoft "Northwind and pubs Databases for SQL Server 2000" program to install the pubs and Northwind databases in my SQL Server 2008 Express. I wonder wether you know the similar installing techniques/programs to install the 3 old options of the AdventureWorks 2005: (1) AdventureWork 2005-Code Plex, (2) AdventureWorksDB, and (3) AdventureWorksLT in my SQL Server 2008 Express. 
    Thursday, February 05, 2009 1:39 PM
  • If you have old databases, you can just Attach Databases to use you old databases in SQL Server 2008 Express.
    Thursday, February 05, 2009 1:46 PM
  • Hi Jim,

(A) I talked our computer gentleman who installed the SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services - defalt instance (i.e. for my local computer). He said he installed everything listed in that default instance for me.  After my last post, I entered the Programs => opened Microsoft SQL Server 2008 =>  Configuration Tools => SQL Server Configuration Manager (Local) => SQL Server Services, I saw the following: 

Name                      State       Start Mode                Log On As           ProcessID   ServicesType         
    SQL Full-text Filter  Stopped    Other (Boot,             NT AUTHORITY\       0              Full-text Filter
    Daemon Launcher                  System, Disabled,     Local Service                         Daemon Lancher    (SQLSCOTT)                             or Unknown)

Does this piece of information listed above indicate that I have "Full Text Search" in my office PC and it should be activated somehow?   Please respond to this question.

(B)  In your last post, you said: If you have old databases, you can just Attach Databases to use your old databases in SQL Server 2008 Express.  I do not understand what you mean by "Attach Databases".   I just have the xx.mdf and the xx.lof files for the 3 old options and I do not know how to attach them to my SQL Server 2008 Express/SQL Server Management Studio Express (SSMSE). Please give me more technical instructions for attaching the 3 old files to SSMSE. Sorry for my ignorance on this technique.

Thanks again,
    Scott Chang   
    Thursday, February 05, 2009 4:28 PM
  • Hi

You can attach the old databases in two ways

a) Using SQL Server Management Studio

1)   Open SSMS
            2) Right click the databases->Attach

3) In the Attach Databases dialog box, to specify the database to be attached, click Add; and in the Locate Database Files dialog box, select the disk drive where the database resides and expand the directory tree to find and select the .mdf file of the database; for example:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\AdventureWorks_Data.mdf 

4. Optionally, to specify a different name for the database to attach as, enter the name in the Attach as column of the Attach Databases dialog box.

5. Optionally, change the owner of the database by selecting a different entry in the Owner column.

6. When you are ready to attach the database, click OK.

b) Using T SQL

for example:
    USE master;
    GO
    CREATE DATABASE MyAdventureWorks
        ON (FILENAME = 'C:\MySQLServer\AdventureWorks_Data.mdf'),
        (FILENAME = 'C:\MySQLServer\AdventureWorks_Log.ldf')
        FOR ATTACH;

Thanks
    Sreekar
    GO

Thursday, February 05, 2009 6:54 PM
  • S.Chang, that information indicates that you've got the FTS daemon installed; it just needs to be started so that the WMI script can verify that it's running. It's a weak test for our installers to do, but it's really the only way to make sure that iFTS is installed and enabled now that it's inside the engine.

As Jim and Sreekar suggested, you can attach copies of the old schemas (very different from the 2008 schemas), but be aware that SQL Server will automatically upgrade your MDF/LDF pair and you will NOT be able to attach them to a 2005 instance thereafter.
    David Reed - MSFT - http://blogs.msdn.com/reedme/
    Monday, February 09, 2009 11:18 PM
  • Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. I am not able to activate the "SQL Full-text filter daemon launcher".
    In the SQL Server Configuration the Status is "Stopped" and whe I click property and try to set up a user name a password an error message is displayed.

Do you have any idea of what can I do?

Thanks

Monday, April 06, 2009 9:27 AM
  • The Error is

It is not possible to start the service. The serivce is not enabled or it is associated with a device that is not active. Error 0x80070422.

it is raised by WinMgmt

Thanks for helping
    Monday, April 06, 2009 12:49 PM
  • Arguros, that sounds like one of the following:

1. (most likely) the SQL engine service is running under a different identity than the FTS service (make sure both services are running under the same identity),
    2. the service is disabled (enable it and start),
    3. the drive you installed SQL Server to is not available any more (uninstall/reinstall SQL Server),
    4. or there's corruption on the disk under the installation (start with CHKDSK).

Be sure that you only modify SQL Server services using SQL Server Configuration Manager. Do not modify SQL Server services using the services.msc (i.e. the administrator's Control Panel applet).

It's hard to diagnose definitively without more information about the installation.

David Reed - MSFT - Microsoft Certified Architect|SQL Server - http://blogs.msdn.com/reedme/
    Monday, April 06, 2009 3:19 PM
  • Thanks
    I needed to go to the control panel and activate the services from it.
    I am a begineer to SQL Server and I thought I could simply activate it from the Configuration Manager utility.

Thanks
    Tuesday, April 07, 2009 8:14 AM
  • S.Chang:

Looking for the same problem in the WEB it was returning always in the same thing. Then try from the manager of services of Windows XP to give "LocalUser's permissions" to the service: SQL Full-text Filter Daemon Launcher (SQLEXPRESS).

Of this form I could initiate the service, with what I could install the DB without problems.

PD: Sorry My translate...
    :)
    Tuesday, April 07, 2009 6:16 PM
  • I have the replies about SQL Server 2008 Express installation problems read questions. The problem for me was the microsroft download site itself.  If you select the first link , http://www.microsoft.com/express/sql/download/  and then the download any edition, you will regret it.  It does offer you the SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services download option.  THis download never worked for me regardless of security settings, license log, registry, OS version (Vista Business or WP Pro), or whatever attempts to enabling full text search in Configuration Manager (full text is not even available to enable there).  Adventureworks will never install, so it is not available to attach.  And trying to create a new database created all kinds of write issues.

You must pass the first option of downloading any version , and select the second link form the opening page of specifically picking SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services .  Microsoft should fix this link as it has clearly caused thousands of hours of angst, though for a free product ;)

John
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 12:52 PM
  • run: service.msc
    find "SQL Full-text Filter Daemon Launcher (MSSQLSERVER)"
    ->right click
    ->property
    ->Startup type:Manual
    ->start
    ->ok
    reinstall SQL2008.AdventureWorks_All_Databases
    enjoy
    Friday, April 24, 2009 3:07 AM
  • Hi, I am a beginner and am trying to learn SQL Server as part of a career change since I got a layoff recently. (I was a senior programmer in a mainframe shop, you know, cobol, jcl, etc., aka dinosaur stuff.)  I think I have what it takes to learn SQL Server.  
     I have a similar story to those above... 

Initially I installed 2008 Server Express with Tools and then tried to install the AW Database 2008 and got the "Prep Instance" error message and so the install of the database failed.

I un-installed 2008 SQL Server Express Tools and installed 2008 SQL Server Express Advanced.  I still got the same error.

I un-installed 2008 Server Express Advanced and tried to re-install the SQL Server Tools but a new error saying the installation file was corrupt occured.  I was able to resolve that issue by finding info on MSDN.

My most recent install used a local non-admin account and only selecting the Express with Tools option.  The install of SQL 2008 Server Express was successful.  This time I was hopeful that I had resolved the issue, but I still get same error when trying to install the Adventureworks DB.

I bought a book "Beginning Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Programming" and it requires the Adventureworks database.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    D. Mulder

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 10:17 PM
  • I installed SQL Express 2008 with Tools option. I am getting same error as you guys "Prep Instance" error message. I read all answers. I do not want to uninstall this and installed Express with Advanced Service from beginning. I know Detach/Attach and Backup/Restore but I do not want use it. Is there any way I can install Full Text Search Services separatly so I do not have to do anything else or any way I can SQL Express with Tools to SQL Express with Services without any kind of uninstallation.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 2:26 AM
  • Is there any way to absolutely confirm whether or not Full Text Search can be installed with SQL Server Express 2008?? Im trying to install the "Adventureworks2008" database examples and it keeps telling me it can't because I don't have Full Text Search installed.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 1GIG Memory ATI Radeon X800XL 250gig W.D. Hard Disk
    Thursday, August 06, 2009 10:39 AM
  • Is there any way to absolutely confirm whether or not Full Text Search can be installed with SQL Server Express 2008?? Im trying to install the "Adventureworks2008" database examples and it keeps telling me it can't because I don't have Full Text Search installed.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 1GIG Memory ATI Radeon X800XL 250gig W.D. Hard Disk

If I remember correctly, you can't find Full Text Search checkbox when you install Express.
    Hope it helps.
    Thursday, August 06, 2009 12:37 PM
  • Hi Jim,

(A) I talked our computer gentleman who installed the SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services - defalt instance (i.e. for my local computer). He said he installed everything listed in that default instance for me.  After my last post, I entered the Programs => opened Microsoft SQL Server 2008 =>  Configuration Tools => SQL Server Configuration Manager (Local) => SQL Server Services, I saw the following: 

Name                      State       Start Mode                Log On As           ProcessID   ServicesType         
    SQL Full-text Filter  Stopped    Other (Boot,             NT AUTHORITY\       0              Full-text Filter
    Daemon Launcher                  System, Disabled,     Local Service                         Daemon Lancher    (SQLSCOTT)                             or Unknown)

Does this piece of information listed above indicate that I have "Full Text Search" in my office PC and it should be activated somehow?   Please respond to this question.

(B)  In your last post, you said: If you have old databases, you can just Attach Databases to use your old databases in SQL Server 2008 Express.  I do not understand what you mean by "Attach Databases".   I just have the xx.mdf and the xx.lof files for the 3 old options and I do not know how to attach them to my SQL Server 2008 Express/SQL Server Management Studio Express (SSMSE). Please give me more technical instructions for attaching the 3 old files to SSMSE. Sorry for my ignorance on this technique.

Thanks again,
    Scott Chang   

This shows that you are on the right path. The next step is as follows:

1)  right click on this entry and select the 'Properties' option. When the screen appears, 
              select START to kick this service in the lungs. Close this window when the service
              has  started.

2)  This window should also show you all the instances that are installed on your system.
              If this is the case, select the specific instance that you want FullText Services to 
              and choose it's properties. Select the FILESTREAM Tab and place a check mark by
              'Enable FILESTREAM' FOR Transact-SQL. Select 'OK' and the File Daemon Launcher
              should reflect the instance you just applied FILESTRAM process to.

TomJ

Tom Johnson
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:10 PM