none
Data-Tier Application framework

Question

• I have VS2010 with the Sept SSDT and Data-Tier Application Framework installed.  I'm getting upgrade warnings when I start VS - it says the the Framework Installed is 11.1.2816.0, and the Latest is 11.1.2820.0.  I've downloaded the 3 MSIs from the URL below, but they each go into Repair / Uninstall mode when I run them.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35756

Any ideas?

Monday, November 19, 2012 3:20 AM

Answers

• Folks,

We have confirmed that the issue Sean is reporting is due to an error in the DACFx version detection logic of the SSDT Check For Updates feature, as I mentioned above. We will address this issue in our next release of SSDT. In the meantime, in order to resolve the constant notification issue, if you are on an x64 machine please install the x86 versions of all the MSIs (DACFramework, SqlDom, SQLSysCLRTypes) from the DACFx November download page.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and many thanks for reporting this issue.

Thanks,

Adam

Adam Mahood - Program Manager - Data-Tier Application Framework (DACFX)/SQL Server Data Tools

Monday, November 19, 2012 6:49 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Mike,

Sorry you are running into this issue, this should not be happening. For now, try uninstalling the three components from Add/Remove Programs and then reinstalling them from the download page. I will do a quick double check and make sure that the download links point to the correct (November) MSIs.

Thanks for reporting this and I will report back,

Adam

Adam Mahood - Program Manager - Data-Tier Application Framework (DACFX)/SQL Server Data Tools

Monday, November 19, 2012 5:40 AM
    Owner
  • Same thing is happening to me, except I did have 11.1.2816.0 installed originally, so I used the link and downloaded 11.1.2820.0, which installed just fine.  Then opened visual studio (2012) and it still prompts me that I have 11.1.2816.0 installed.  Trying to install again only gives me the option to remove or repair.
    Monday, November 19, 2012 4:03 PM
  • Hey folks,

I have done some investigating on this issue this morning and have several things to report. First off, I have confirmed that the MSI downloads on the updated DACFx November download page are the correct versions and that they will upgrade existing versions of the components properly.

However, we have uncovered a possible issue with the SSDT "Check for Updates" feature that may be the culprit of the perpetual message to upgrade DACFx even after installing the latest release. I believe that the underlying cause is that you have only installed the x64 version of the updated DACFx. You can confirm this by going to Add/Remove Programs and seeing if you have two versions of DACFx installed (2816 & 2820). To resolve the "Check for Updates" issue, install the x86 DACFramework MSI, as well. This will update the registry key that SSDT is looking for even though you already have the updated DACFx bits.

We will be digging into this more this morning and I will report back when I have any additional information.

Thanks,

Adam

Monday, November 19, 2012 4:39 PM
    Owner
  • Folks,

We have confirmed that the issue Sean is reporting is due to an error in the DACFx version detection logic of the SSDT Check For Updates feature, as I mentioned above. We will address this issue in our next release of SSDT. In the meantime, in order to resolve the constant notification issue, if you are on an x64 machine please install the x86 versions of all the MSIs (DACFramework, SqlDom, SQLSysCLRTypes) from the DACFx November download page.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and many thanks for reporting this issue.

Thanks,

Adam

Monday, November 19, 2012 6:49 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Adam,

Thanks for your prompt attention to this. My machine is x64 and I had only installed the x64 MSIs.  I've now installed the x86 MSIs and the issue is resolved.

Thanks!
    Mike

Monday, November 19, 2012 9:27 PM
  • Installing the x86 version resolved.

Starting from the RC versions, every time a new version of SSDT was release there were issues? 

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 4:07 AM
  • Hossein,

This was not an issue for any release of SSDT. In all released versions of SSDT, all of the appropriate versions of the dependencies, including DACFx, have been chained and installed correctly. As I mentioned above, there is a small error in the DACFx detection logic in the new SSDT Check for Updates feature that was released on the November SSDT release. We will remedy this issue in an upcoming release of SSDT.

Thanks,

Adam

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 3:45 PM
    Owner
  • Should the x64 versions be uninstalled first, or should I simply install the x86 version over them?
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 5:06 PM
  • shall,

You can simply install both the x64 and x86 MSIs. There is no need to uninstall x64.

Thanks,

Adam

Adam Mahood - Program Manager Windows Azure Import-Export Service / Data-Tier Application Framework (DACFx)/ SQL Server Data Tools

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 5:23 PM
    Owner