none
Unable to create subscriber

Question

• Dear Friends,

I have two different sql servers one two different domains connected by internet. Iam working on Doman-A. Both sql server's are 2005

Domain Name  System Name         Sql Instance Name             Port No

Domain-A       SysA(IP:202.187.65.124)     SqlA                              1215

Domain-B       SysB(IP:102.45.68.125)       SqlB                               1465

Intially I was unable to connect from SysA to SysB through sql management studio. But after giving the connection string as 102.45.68.125\SqlB,1465 I was able to connect. Now my main problem is with the replication only. I had configured Publisher and Distrbutor on SysA. I want the subscriber to be SysB. But when I try to configure the subscription in the New Subscription Wizard from SSMS installed on SysA and try to Configure the subscription I get the following error message:

TITLE: New Subscription Wizard
    ------------------------------

SQL Server replication requires the actual server name to make a connection to the server. Connections through a server alias, IP address, or any other alternate name are not supported. Specify the actual server name, 'SysB\SqlB'. (Replication.Utilities)

Plz help me guys.

Thanking you

Chandra Mohan N

Friday, March 23, 2007 8:09 PM

Answers

• Gavin Lilley  posted the solution... read it care fully...

I copied the same... and explaining more...

1 - On the remote server (Subscriber server) run the following sql statement

SELECT CONVERT(char(20), SERVERPROPERTY('servername'));
    and take the out put which your Servername if it is default instance, servername\instancename if it is named instance and use the

ouput while configuring alias in step2..

2 - On local server (Publication server) , create an alias to the remote using the name from the above

You can create the Alias using "SQL SERVER Configuration Manger"....

Start/All programs/sql server 2005/SQL SERVER Configuration Manger/SQL Server Native Client Configuration/Aliases

Check BOL how to configure Alias

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181035.aspx

3 - On local server(Publication server), Edit the hosts file to resolve the remoter host name to the remote ip

Host file location is C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\

4 - Create the subscriber

Friday, April 13, 2007 10:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

there was a thread by  Hilary Cotter SQL 2005 Replication between 2 non trusted domains

Saturday, March 24, 2007 4:34 PM
  • I too have this issue.

My local server 'nld_server' is running 2003 server and SQL 2005 (9.0.3042). The remote 'remote1'/'remote.mydomain.com' server is running Winsows 2003 and SQL 2000 (8.0.760) - both fully up to date.

When attempting to connect to the server to create a login - I receive the following error report:

TITLE: Connect to Server

Cannot connect to maggie.netlynkdirect.com.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

SQL Server replication requires the actual server name to make a connection to the server. Connections through a server alias, IP address, or any other alternate name are not supported. Specify the actual server name, 'REMOTE1'. (Replication.Utilities)

BUTTONS:

OK

It is curious that the servers name is picked up.

It is notable the by clicking options and the connection properties tab, I am able to browse the server in the connect to database drop down list and see the databases - because of this I am guessign that this is a slight issue with a simple workaround?

Friday, March 30, 2007 1:35 PM
  •  

I took the following steps to resovle this

1 - On the remote server, Ensure I am referencing the correct host name

SQL
    Select @@servername

2 - On local server, create an alias to the remote using the name from the above

3 - On local server, Edit the hosts file to resolve the remoter host name to the remote ip

• Proposed as answer by Cliff Chan Tuesday, March 16, 2010 8:56 AM
    Saturday, March 31, 2007 7:01 AM
  • I AM also getting some thing same kind of problem, but here one small change in my situation i am trying to create publisher on Server B Which is snap of Server A, how could i can configure this publication.

ERROR.

TITLE: Publisher Properties

An error occurred connecting to Publisher 'SERVER B'.

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.1399.06&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.PubshrPropertiesErrorSR&EvtID=CantConnectToPublisher&LinkId=20476

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

SQL Server replication requires the actual server name to make a connection to the server. Connections through a server alias, IP address, or any other alternate name are not supported. Specify the actual server name, 'SERVER A'. (Replication.Utilities)

BUTTONS:

OK

PLZ Respond .

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 2:45 PM
  • Hi would you be so kind to provide more detail about how you fixed it?

I am confused about the user accounts I need to create on both servers.

your help will be highly appreciated.

Friday, April 13, 2007 7:12 PM
  • Gavin Lilley  posted the solution... read it care fully...

I copied the same... and explaining more...

1 - On the remote server (Subscriber server) run the following sql statement

SELECT CONVERT(char(20), SERVERPROPERTY('servername'));
    and take the out put which your Servername if it is default instance, servername\instancename if it is named instance and use the

ouput while configuring alias in step2..

2 - On local server (Publication server) , create an alias to the remote using the name from the above

You can create the Alias using "SQL SERVER Configuration Manger"....

Start/All programs/sql server 2005/SQL SERVER Configuration Manger/SQL Server Native Client Configuration/Aliases

Check BOL how to configure Alias

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181035.aspx

3 - On local server(Publication server), Edit the hosts file to resolve the remoter host name to the remote ip

Host file location is C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\

Friday, April 13, 2007 10:32 PM
  •  

I took the following steps to resovle this

1 - On the remote server, Ensure I am referencing the correct host name

2 - On local server, create an alias to the remote using the name from the above

3 - On local server, Edit the hosts file to resolve the remoter host name to the remote ip

SQL
    Select @@servername

I find that running "Select @@servername" and "SELECT CONVERT(char(20), SERVERPROPERTY('servername'));" may showing different result. Making sure their correctness will be the root of problem.

use the following cmd to change the @@servername, if necessary.

EXEC sp_dropserver '{current server name}'
    EXEC sp_addserver '{new server name}', 'local'

*You have to restart the sql server to let the change effective

Hope the above help you out the problem.

Cliff
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 9:07 AM