none
Smooth Line Graph with more than 1 line does not draw all points correctly in SSRS 2008

Question

• I found this problem with SSRS 2008 when you choose smooth line graph. The problem is that when you have 2+ number of lines with different number of points in each (i.e. one is made up of 5 points the other of 7 points), the lines display correctly the common 5 points, then the extra 2 points left of those lines are drawn by having a line go back to the Y axis and redraw the 2 points as if from beginning.

The effect is as if you're trying to draw 2 lines on a sheet of paper without lifting your hand from the sheet. You draw the first line, then draw a line to the start of the graph (the Y axis), then you draw the second line with however many points you are left, i.e. 2

Another example since I cannot post a picture here: imagine you have 3 Lines:

Line 1 has the following points for X axis: 1, 50, 100, 200, 400, 600

Lines 2 and 3 have the following points for X axis: 1, 25, 50, 75, 100, 200, 400, 600

What happens is on the first go, the 3 lines are drawn through 1, 50, 100, 200, 400 and 600, and for lines 2 and 3, there's a straight line from 600 going back to the Y axis and drawing an extra line connecting 25 and 75.

The alternative in 2005 was using scatterplot graph with smooth lines, which worked perfectly. In SSRS 2008 however after we upgraded our reports, it seems that because scatter plot with smooth lines is no longer available, it defaults to line graph with smooth lines.

The problem does not exists in scatterplot graphs b/c it seems scatterplots show each point on each scatterplot.The Smooth Line version in 2008 however, seems to use only the lowest common denominator of points (when there are more than one lines), then adds any additional points separately by drawing an extra line starting from the beginning.

My question is: How can this be remedied in 2008 by using smooth line graphs, and not having to revert to a more unsightly to the business user scatterplot.

I.e. I would like for each of the lines described above to be drawn with all their points without extra line drawing the 2 additional points.

Thank you in advance!!!

Monday, August 02, 2010 9:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I am glad to work with you on this issue. Since it is unusual that the smooth line chart draw an extra line starting from the beginning for the series which with more points, so if you can post the dataset structure with sample data, current results and the required results of your report would be great helpful for us to provide you further assistance.

In Reporting Services 2008, chart type Smooth Line with Markers is similar to Scatter with Smooth Lines in Reporting Services 2005.

For more information about chart behavior difference in Reporting Services 2008 of empty point, please see: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sql_pfe_blog/archive/2009/05/28/chart-behavior-difference-in-sql-reporting-services-2008.aspx

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Tony Chain

Thursday, August 05, 2010 4:30 AM

All replies

• Bump for start of day! Would appreciate much if anyone has any input or has found a workaround for this issue!

Many Thanks!

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 1:17 PM
  • Hi,

I am glad to work with you on this issue. Since it is unusual that the smooth line chart draw an extra line starting from the beginning for the series which with more points, so if you can post the dataset structure with sample data, current results and the required results of your report would be great helpful for us to provide you further assistance.

In Reporting Services 2008, chart type Smooth Line with Markers is similar to Scatter with Smooth Lines in Reporting Services 2005.

For more information about chart behavior difference in Reporting Services 2008 of empty point, please see: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sql_pfe_blog/archive/2009/05/28/chart-behavior-difference-in-sql-reporting-services-2008.aspx

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Tony Chain

Thursday, August 05, 2010 4:30 AM