none
How long does it take to install update rollup for SQL server 2012 service pack 1?

Question

• The installation has been going on for about 2 hours now.  I am wondering for how long I should wait before assuming something is wrong and stop the installation. It is a quad-core machine running Windows 7.  

Hong

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 2:49 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Yes, I would say it is better to apply updates to SQL Server separately from other updates.

Download and install SP1 manually.

Please run the following statement on SSMS to know the current build of the instance:

SELECT
    @@version

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 7:32 PM

All replies

• I think there is a problem with the Microsoft download service for SQL 2012 since yesterday. I'm currently doing some SQL Server 2012 work in our lab and I'm attempting to download the set-up files which is a mere 26MB and it's taking forever! See screenshot below.

Okay, so in the lab, our internet link isn't very fast but I've just downloaded a 544MB service pack file (as a test) from Microsoft at the same time and it ran at ~540KB/s which is about full speed for our 5MBit/s ADSL line.

I did the exact same operation a few weeks ago and this section was pretty fast.
    Cheers, Rob.

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 3:54 PM
  • And in the time it took me to type that message, it's jumped from 12% to 13%. Something is wrong - no way it should take hours to download 26MB...

Cheers, Rob.

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 3:55 PM
  • Hello,

Please verify SQL Server service is running using Control Panel -> Services (services.msc).

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 3:56 PM
  • I aborted the process because I cannot afford the server down for too long. The server is finally back after almost 4 hours of installation and reverting.

After aborting the process, the machine could not be soft-restarted.  After a hard-restart, the configuration stayed at 37% complete for 20 minutes without any hard drive activity, so another hard reset was needed.  After this, 3 soft-restarts took place in a time span of 30 minutes finally brought the server back online.

I have just checked Windows updates, did not see update rollup for SQL server 2012 service pack 1 so I assume it has been installed successfully.  However, other 4 Windows 7 updates as shown in the following screen-capture  are still there meaning their installation failed. I guess these updates were interfering with the SQL server update.  Maybe it is a good idea to install large major updates such as SQL SP1 alone.

Hong

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 4:51 PM
  • Hello,

Yes, I would say it is better to apply updates to SQL Server separately from other updates.

Download and install SP1 manually.

Please run the following statement on SSMS to know the current build of the instance:

SELECT
    @@version

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 7:32 PM
  • At this point of time, I am fairly sure that the culprit is KB2592687 .

I have tried to install KB2592687  4 times after installing the SQL update to no avail.  It takes about 20 minutes to install, restart, configure, fail, revert and restart.

Yes, for a significant update for SQL, I will install it alone to avoid any interference of other updates.

Hong

Saturday, April 13, 2013 4:13 PM
  • Hello,

Please create a new thread on the following forum about that Windows 7 update.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/threads

Hope you find a solution soon on that forum.

I am glad to know is not a SQL Server update the culprit.

Have a great day!

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Saturday, April 13, 2013 4:44 PM
  • There is already a long thread about this.  Thanks for help all along.

Hong

Saturday, April 13, 2013 7:15 PM