none
Setup of SQL Server 2008: Restart required but I have restarted

Question

• Hello,

I have tried to install SQL Server 2008. I cannot install, because I get the errormessage the prerequistite "Restart the computer is required".

But every time I restart my computer and try to execute the setup of SQL Server 2008, I get the same message, I have to restart the computer.

I cannot install the SQL Server 2008.

What can I do?

Thanks
    Thursday, August 14, 2008 7:59 AM

Answers

• This almost worked for me (using Vista) but everytime I rebooted some temporary files kept showing up in my "PendingFileRenameOperations". What did work for me though was
    running Regedit, finding the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager" then deleting the value of "PendingFileRenameOperations".

I then exited regedit, ran my sql server 2k8 express edition setup (without rebooting) and it installed without an issue.

Hope that helps.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:44 PM
  • Try the below

• Open Regedit
    • Find the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager"
    • Rename the "PendingFileRenameOperations" value to "PendingFileRenameOperations2"
    • Restart your machine and then try again

On which OS & Which edition of SQL you are trying to install?

Thursday, August 14, 2008 8:24 AM
  • Magnus,

Check the below registry keys for any values for reboot.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

You can't install Enterprise edition  in Windows XP, you can able to install Enterprise Evaluation edition only.

Friday, September 19, 2008 5:27 AM

All replies

• Try the below

• Open Regedit
    • Find the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager"
    • Rename the "PendingFileRenameOperations" value to "PendingFileRenameOperations2"

Thursday, August 14, 2008 8:24 AM
  • Hello,

thanks, your solution helps, but I have to start the setup immediately after changing the registry, because after a restart, the old value apears in the registry again.

I am working with Windows XP professional, i think the international english language version with german user interface.

The problem apears on my machine with the sql server enterprise vesion subscriber download

de_sql_server_2008_enterprise_x86_x64_ia64_dvd_x14-89215.iso / or

de_sql_server_2008_standard_x86_x64_dvd_x14-89163.iso.

Mayby the deamon tools had a bad influence, which i have had installed to access the iso files. Mayby the disabled system recovery on the drives have had also a bad influence.

Now i have removed daemon tools, but the problem still remaining.

But after changing the registry I am able to install.

Thanks,

Harald

Thursday, August 14, 2008 12:31 PM
  • This almost worked for me (using Vista) but everytime I rebooted some temporary files kept showing up in my "PendingFileRenameOperations". What did work for me though was
    running Regedit, finding the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager" then deleting the value of "PendingFileRenameOperations".

I then exited regedit, ran my sql server 2k8 express edition setup (without rebooting) and it installed without an issue.

Hope that helps.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:44 PM
  • I have the exact same problem. I have tried all your suggestions above, to no avail. I also tried rolling back my system (using System Restore) and redo the required pre-installations (.NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and Windows installer) all over again. I have no other lingering pending installations and other software can be installed and uninstalled (using msiexec) without any problems.

I'm using Win XP SP2 and have tried both the full SQL Server 2008 and the Express Edition. Same error.

Regards
    Magnus Markling
    Sigma Solutions
    Friday, September 12, 2008 11:46 PM
  • Magnus,

Check the below registry keys for any values for reboot.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

You can't install Enterprise edition  in Windows XP, you can able to install Enterprise Evaluation edition only.

Friday, September 19, 2008 5:27 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

I have checked those registry locations. They are all empty.

I'm actually only planning to install the client tools, but we have the Enterprise Edt DVD, so I tried using that one, as well as the downloadable versions of Express.

Regards
    Magnus
    Friday, September 19, 2008 7:04 AM
  • This solution worked for me without restarting the computer.

Thanks!

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 5:28 PM
  •  Peter_H wrote:
    This almost worked for me (using Vista) but everytime I rebooted some temporary files kept showing up in my "PendingFileRenameOperations". What did work for me though was
    Thanks, however I don't even have any of those registery keys.  The paths are the same, but instead of 'PendingFileRenameOperations', all I have are 'FileRenameOperations'.  Same with all other reg paths listed in this thread that lead to 'PendingFileRenameOperations', they're all 'FileRenameOperations'.  Anyone know how to get get around this?
    Wednesday, October 01, 2008 9:25 AM
  •  

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 3:41 PM
  • Mr Vidhya Sagar, how do we proceed from here? This is a major problem. Since SSMS 2005 can't be used to connect to SQL Server 2008, this problem effectively delays the deployment of SQL Server 2008 in my company.

I notice the thread is marked as "Answered". That's not really true, as some of us still have the exact same problem.
    Thursday, October 09, 2008 7:37 AM
  • I did the renaming of the registry keys fix.  Everytime I rebooted they were back.  The solution I found was to rename the keys but dont reboot.  Just rerun the Sql setup and it will pass that point. 

I hope this helps you.

MagnusMarkling wrote:
    Mr Vidhya Sagar, how do we proceed from here? This is a major problem. Since SSMS 2005 can't be used to connect to SQL Server 2008, this problem effectively delays the deployment of SQL Server 2008 in my company.

I notice the thread is marked as "Answered". That's not really true, as some of us still have the exact same problem.
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 3:44 PM
  • I'm not sure I want to know how you figured this out but it worked for me. None of the other registry settings were a factor but this "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager" then deleting the value of "PendingFileRenameOperations" seems to have done the trick for me.

Also: make sure you have SQL Server 2008 CU1 installed.

Thanks.

Saturday, October 18, 2008 10:57 PM
  • Im on vista 64 with setup stuck at failed to restart computer using the sql server 2008 developer edition iso. My registry has no pendingfilerename key only filerename and the values are cleared. Installing from the commandline generated a log error with action=install workflow invalid parameter. How do I use run rules to install without the reboot required rule check. VS 2008 SP1 professional is installed as well as VS 2005 professional and windows powershell, installer 4.5, .net 3.5. SQL was not installed with either version of VS, only compact edition which was uninstalled from add remove programs. VS 2008 express editions are installed for C#, VB, C++ (2008) and C# 2005. Also the latest setup hotfix did not fix the restart required rule. Is there some way to fix the source rather than ignore the symptom?, otherwise the installer must be checking some registry value, just not that one as far as I can see.
    Sunday, October 19, 2008 10:09 PM
  • I had the same problem, no registry keys with that name - running Windows Server 2008 64 bit.  So here's what I did that worked:  Searched out using the find function in RegEdit the same name: PendingFileRenameOperations.  It found several instances, and not knowing which to change I changed them all.  Again you have to install Server 2008 without rebooting after making these changes.   Best of luck to you!

Saturday, November 01, 2008 6:19 PM
  •  

Magnus

Rename or delete the key as mentioned above but do not reboot.  That worked for me on a Windows 2008 server. 

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 1:06 AM
  •  

In my case, I needed to rename the following key:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations"

Regards,

Maras

Friday, December 19, 2008 4:07 AM
  • I am running Vista SP1 with Visual Studio 2008 SP1, and .NET 3.5 SP1 having the same problem many have had. I like many others do not have a KEY registry entry for:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations

What many seem to think (as I did) that there is a KEY value of PendingFileRenameOperations.  There is no KEY by that name.  There is however a Value Pair named "PendingFileRenameOperations" under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

Navigate to the above registry location and then look in the right side pane for the value pair.  Rename it or delete the value found there.

In my case I have a Logitech CAM device that incorrectly completes its install without deleting the value pair.

After correcting the registry my install completed as expected.

Larry Aultman

• Proposed as answer by MarineBri68 Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:38 PM
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:29 PM
  • Byron Gibson said:

Peter_H wrote:
    This almost worked for me (using Vista) but everytime I rebooted some temporary files kept showing up in my "PendingFileRenameOperations". What did work for me though was
    Thanks, however I don't even have any of those registery keys.  The paths are the same, but instead of 'PendingFileRenameOperations', all I have are 'FileRenameOperations'.  Same with all other reg paths listed in this thread that lead to 'PendingFileRenameOperations', they're all 'FileRenameOperations'.  Anyone know how to get get around this?

I have the same problem I don't have a 'PendingFileRenameOperations' instead I have the 'FileRenameOperations', which I've tried to rename and that didn't help.  I've tried all the other solutions listed here but to no avail.  Any help would be much appreciated.
    Tuesday, February 03, 2009 6:24 PM
  • Do an Edit>Find for the PendingFileRenameOperations in the Registry--it shows up in a couple of places....Rename it in each place and the proceed from there....I had to change the name in two places to get it to work.
    Thursday, February 05, 2009 6:47 PM
  • One cause of this is the Logitech webcam installer

A string value named 'PendingFileRenameOperations' will be left in both
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Session Manager
    delete both and re-run the installer.

Developers, please fix this. It cost me 6 hours.
    • Proposed as answer by Bryan DeBois Monday, March 02, 2009 4:34 PM
    Friday, February 27, 2009 10:32 AM
  • One cause of this is the Logitech webcam installer

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:23 PM
  • I am having the same problem installing SQL Server 2008 on XP SP3 box. I have rebooted several times and I get the same error message when I try installing.

I have also researched my registry and I do not find the keys several of you have suggested that we edit. What do I do now? I need to install this system for my work.

Is there help out there? I have no funds to buy MS Support program.
    Friday, April 17, 2009 11:32 PM
  • Hi

Yes, this helped me :-)
    After renaming PendingFileRenameOperations, without rebooting, I could run the setup (of client functionality only) and it seem to work.
    And yes, I also have a Logitech WebCam, mentioned somewhere below: maybe it causes problems.

Thanks,
    Carl
    Friday, April 24, 2009 9:51 AM
  • I also have the restart failed problem.

I have to say that my experience with trying to update my computer (Vista Ultimate x32) from SQL Express 2005 to SQL Express 2008 is one of the worse update experiences I've ever had and all could have been prevented.

1. The update requires Windows Installer 4.5.  Users are taken to a redistribution page rather than the normal installation/download page you are used to.

2. Windows Installer 4.5 is a Windows Update.  Why isn't it in the regular updates?

3. Power Shell 1.0 is required.  It's a Windows update, so why isn't it in the automatic update.

4. On running the Actual SQL Express 2008 Advanced Installation, the Install Upgrade Advisor is dimmed out.  Don't you just love dimmed out stuff.  No clue why it is unavailable.  It's a Geek thing.

Our firm will have about 2,000 installations to upgrade over the next 6 months.  If we have these kinds of problems, we will have to rethink the whole SQL 2008 idea and stay with SQL 2005.

Microsoft, you need to change this.  You CAN include Windows Installer 4.5 as a pre-requisite in your MSI and have it bundled with the MSI.  You CAN include Power Shell 1.0 as a pre-requisite in your MSI and bundle it in the MSI.  You CAN make sure the reboot doesn't leave the registry key set wrong or look at a different registry key OR let the user decide to continue.

-Pat-
    PatD
    • Edited by PismoPat Thursday, May 07, 2009 6:42 AM
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 6:36 AM
  • Carl,

I also had to do the complete search of the registry.  Also just happen to have a Logtech WebCam.  I found several PendingFileRenameOperations and deleted the values of all of them.  Then reran the system configuration checker without rebooting.  It passed on all.
    PatD
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 7:19 AM

• Oh my god thank you so very much for your answer because like eveyone else I was looking on the left panel for the  PendingFileRenameOperations and it obviously wasn't there.  However when I actually clicked on the session manager there it was in the window to the right and it was the exact same thing you had with a couple of Logitec entries that were hanging.  I deleted the entries and it worked like a cahrm.  I have been obsessing over this for hours tring to figure this out so again thank you for explaining it a little clearer.

Brian Blackburn
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:42 PM
  • VidhyaSagar,

This thread started a year ago and people are still having problems.  Is Microsoft going to come up with some kind of work around and let people indicate that they have rebooted and to continue with the install?

Not all SQL Express users will be able to hack the registry and it just causes HUGE expense for vendors providing installation support for their products.

-Pat-
    PatD
    • Proposed as answer by John Val John Sunday, August 02, 2009 5:35 AM
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:24 PM
  • Yes Please..
    We need someone from microsoft to put a solution for this problem.
    I had this problem since 3 months ago. I did all what are explained, and the problem is still.

Thanks
    Sunday, August 02, 2009 5:37 AM
  • I solved it.
    look in the regedit for "PendingFileRenameOperations"
    and I deleted its contents, without restart my machine, immeideatly re-run the installation. 

It is worked.

Friday, August 07, 2009 12:12 PM
  • Pat,
    SQL Server in any edition is not a trivial program.  It does require an installer upgrade which is easly obtained.  Why isn't it in the regular upgrade? My guess is a couple reasons: 1: Some older programs expect earlier installer versions (SQL Server has other requirements beyond the "normal" old system.)  So just to shove the installer down EVERYBODY's throat would cause a big stink.  2: Lot's of people especially developers turn OFF auto updates so that their test installations don't get modified.  That has a tendency to really screw up testing runs if the system is changing underneath you.  About Power Shell... see reason 2 above.

Finally if you are running SQL express on that many (2000) machines you should probably write your own system prep check.  I certainly would because SQL is not trivial it does touch a lot of areas.  I expect that you will find a bunch of other stuff on those 2000 boxes.

This problem would be greatly dimished if the ISV's and other developers would use a little common sense and do what their mother's taught them - "clean up after yourself."

If you make a registry entry that is GLOBALLY scoped such as this one that is causing this problem; then by all means you should be a good sport and clean up on your way out.  This particular registry entry is used by lots of install routines to make sure things get turned on and services start that affect stuff like virus scanners and very low-level system services (drivers for instance).  Later OS version systems like Vista and now Windows 7 are making these things less of an issue.  But as long as XP hangs around and developers continue to write sloppy code there isn't a lot that Microsoft can do.

When this happened to me and it was a respectable product like Logitech's that caused the problem, I sent them my issue.  You are absolutely right on one account Microsoft could take over control of your system... but then you would probably have a problem with that too.

Larry
    Friday, August 07, 2009 2:24 PM
  • Pat,
    SQL Server in any edition is not a trivial program.  It does require an installer upgrade which is easly obtained.  Why isn't it in the regular upgrade? My guess is a couple reasons: 1: Some older programs expect earlier installer versions (SQL Server has other requirements beyond the "normal" old system.)  So just to shove the installer down EVERYBODY's throat would cause a big stink.  2: Lot's of people especially developers turn OFF auto updates so that their test installations don't get modified.  That has a tendency to really screw up testing runs if the system is changing underneath you.  About Power Shell... see reason 2 above.

Finally if you are running SQL express on that many (2000) machines you should probably write your own system prep check.  I certainly would because SQL is not trivial it does touch a lot of areas.  I expect that you will find a bunch of other stuff on those 2000 boxes.

This problem would be greatly dimished if the ISV's and other developers would use a little common sense and do what their mother's taught them - "clean up after yourself."

If you make a registry entry that is GLOBALLY scoped such as this one that is causing this problem; then by all means you should be a good sport and clean up on your way out.  This particular registry entry is used by lots of install routines to make sure things get turned on and services start that affect stuff like virus scanners and very low-level system services (drivers for instance).  Later OS version systems like Vista and now Windows 7 are making these things less of an issue.  But as long as XP hangs around and developers continue to write sloppy code there isn't a lot that Microsoft can do.

When this happened to me and it was a respectable product like Logitech's that caused the problem, I sent them my issue.  You are absolutely right on one account Microsoft could take over control of your system... but then you would probably have a problem with that too.

Larry

Larry, I've found that "consultants" turn off auto updates for our target market, businesses of 5 to 50 stations, because they want to keep control.  If a user's setup is not esoteric, then things go very well with Windows Update.

InstallShield can force a particular version of an installer, so that's not too big a deal.  However, 2000 support calls is a big deal.

Microsoft has been falling down on testing of installations.  SQL 2005, all editions, will not install over XP-SP3.  No wonder people don't want to run Windows Update.  There's a tech support call to uninstall MSXML6 and then reinstall it after installing SQL 2005.  This thread is about SQL 2008 install problems. 

I've spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on installing.  It's a constant fight keeping up with Microsoft's moving target inventory.  We don't need to have avoidable mistakes, like registry items needing hacking when Microsoft could have you reboot at the beginning of the install and then ignore the reboot flag.  The installer will reload the installation.

If Microsoft doesn't get the desktop systems settled down, they may lose that marketplace.

Regards,

PatD
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 3:44 AM
  • WARNING

One cause of this is the Logitech webcam installer

I made the above changes on an XP machine and yes I was able to install SQL 2008 as soon as I deleted these keys but later when I rebooted I got a BSOD during boot. 

SYSTEM_LICENSE_VIOLATION 0x0000009A

I couldn't boot into safe mode, or the last good configuration.  I had made a copy of the registry before making deleting the keys above and was able to get into the system using ERD and replace the registry and it still booted into a BSOD.

Now I am reinstalling the OS.  This fix cost me 12 hours!

Luckily my data is on a separate partition so hopefully I won't lose too much.
    • Edited by SkiGeek82 Thursday, September 10, 2009 5:55 PM Added Quote
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 5:51 PM
  • SkiGeek92,

We've seen the BSOD on XP when you try to install .net 3.5 without having the OS fairly current with Windows Updates.  Take an early XP SP2 and install .net 3.5 and you can often get a BSOD on reboot.  We've been able to consistantly reproduce this in our lab.  You'd think that MS would take care of it in their installer.

Updating to just before XP SP3 will not get the BSOD.  We've used to put in the .net framework (2.x) as a prerequisite to our system, but now that we are requiring .net 3.5, we just refuse to install on XP unless they have XP SP3.

Hope this sheds some light.

PatD
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 7:17 AM
  • Peter_H,

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 5:44 PM
  • ...  We don't need to have avoidable mistakes, like registry items needing hacking when Microsoft could have you reboot at the beginning of the install and then ignore the reboot flag.  The installer will reload the installation.

PatD

We DO need to avoid mistakes.  No amount of testing on Microsoft's part can fix bad practices on the part of delinquent developers.

I believe that updates are a fact of life.  I think that writing code and systems that follow the best practices industry guidelines should be a requirement.  Rebooting is not the answer and certainly ignoring a reboot flag is unacceptable.  Any developer that writes code that requires a reboot (drivers, system level services, etc.) should certainly clear those flags when the reboot is done.  In this case the reboot flag was set by Logitech (it has the name of their dll in the registry entry) and the Logitech service is started during the system boot. Clearly the Logitech developers should have had their code clear the flag per best practices guidelines.  This is not a Microsoft issue.  In this case if you booted a hundred times it still would not clear the offending registry entry.

Yes consultants and developers and many CIO's turn off auto-updates... Why? Shoddy programming mostly on the part of COTS (common off the shelf) software products.  Shoddy usually means low-budget rushed to market stuff.  A CIO of a company today has to do all the testing that should be done by the developer.  They (CIOs) then certainly DO want to CONTROL the environment for fear of breaking the install.  I am involved everyday with these very issues as you appear to be.  My experience is that Microsoft does a decent job, my experience also shows that COTS is much worse.

From reading your earlier posts, it seems that you have a sophisticated system requirement of SQL 200X on every desktop system install.  I think your aggravation with Microsoft on not including things in the installer that are necessary (the pre-requisites) is somewhat understandable.  However, I have scripted installs that start services and install missing pre-requisites.  Generally I accept the responsibility for making sure that our systems have the required configuration before I try to install packages.

I try to teach good practices and through planning to my clients so that we don't have these issues.  However I can't fix poor practices such as exhibited by Logitech in their Video Cam installer.

Larry
    Friday, October 23, 2009 8:39 PM
  • Just to let you know,

This also happens with Windows 7 and SQL Server 2008 R2 November CTP.

After deleting the value from the registry key and pressing the re-run button all the checks passed and I was able to continue setup.

Thanks for the help.

Robin
    Robin Wilson
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 1:00 AM
  • Hi Larry,

Yes, I have a Logitech Camera and when I had an HD failure and all my backups had backed up corrupted system files, I did not reinstall the Logitech drivers and just use the Windows camera driver, which works just fine.

SQL is not on each desktop, but .NET is on the Client.  SQL is either on some machine on the network, or it is hosted on the Internet.  We communicate with the server via standard SQL communications or web services when the database is hosted on the Internet.

My point is that once MSFT is made aware of the reboot problem, they should supply a botton that allows the user to continue if they have already rebooted.  It should not be necessary to hack the registry.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Regards,
    Pat

PatD
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 3:53 AM
  • Pat,
    You are right - hacking the registry is bad news... last resort.  I agree that MS could certainly give you the option to "go without reboot" similar to the way they handle the requirement for known issues with SQL2008 on Vista and Win 7 (not allowing SQL server to start until the service pack is installed.)

So yes I am in agreement on the hacking the registry.  And in the hands of compentent developers a bypass is a very good solution.  I am not sure it makes good sense from a business perspective for MS as it surely would have unintended consequences on the support side (not that hacking the registry doesn't lead to problems too.)  As a system architect and developer I always advocate the high-road in programming practices, ie workarounds are "generally" a bad idea because they are generally "one-off" instances.  In this case however it is an issue that could benefit from a workaround with plenty of "nag" screens to warn off the uninformed.

My point is that the problem lies outside Microsoft in the poor production controls, QA, and support that Logitech has rendered.

FYI, I just installed Windows 7, and got the brand new 64bit Logitech Cam drivers for a brand new HP.  The Logitech driver still leaves the trash in the registry - I checked to see.  This time however I waited until I had my new machine completely configured and working before installing the Logitech Cam.

Also note that when Logitech does an update they dump the trash back in the registry.  I sent them several notes (complaints, rants, nasty-grams, bad reviews...) didn't get any attention.  You might give it a try as well.

Larry
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 1:40 PM
  • Try the below

• Open Regedit

this worked great, the only thing is when i rebooted it changed the name back to the old one, so i changed the name again and just did a rescan and it solved the problem without rebooting.
    Friday, November 27, 2009 8:55 PM
  • I took the back of the registry and tried to delete the below key. It fixed my problem.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager"
  • Delete the "PendingFileRenameOperations"

Steps:

Take a back of the registry

Try to find the key

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager"

Delete the "PendingFileRenameOperations"

Try install the Microsoft SQL 2005 (Restart not required).
Tuesday, December 01, 2009 6:30 PM
  • I just upgraded to Windows 7 and came across the same problem. I searched the registry for "PendingFileRenameOperations", deleted the keys and installed SQL Server 2008 Enterprise without any problems.
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 4:58 PM
  • Yes, this has cost me time, even though I had the benefit of this forum to help!  I have a Logitech web cam too.

I suggest 2 solutions, a specific get-around from Microsoft's end, and (of course) a permanent fix from Logitech.

-   For Microsoft's part, this is such a specific problem (a specific Logitech registry value) that a get-around could be:  to create a separate hotfix, and a suitable warning in the SQL Server preparatory and troubleshooting doco, for people with Logitech webcams to implement.  If this doco is already there, I did not see it, although I did read the prep info to make sure I had the other pre-requisites such as MSI v4.5 etc.  One logical place to refer to such a hotfix, if Microsoft create one, would be here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143698.aspx.  Microsoft, I hope you are listening.

-   Logitech to issue an update/patch for all it's affected software.  It can be issued through its support/downloads website, and also through Microsoft Update (which I've noticed they already use for driver/software updates).

I rang Logitech today (Asia/Pacific support centre, I'm in Australia) and they indicated they knew about the problem and were working on it.  They could not at this stage say when they expected a patch/fix to come out.

For the record, my get-around today was to back-up and delete just this registry entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\
            "PendingFileRenameOperations"   =   (REG_MULTI_SZ)    "\??\C:\Windows\TEMP\logishrd\LVPrcInj01.dll"

and then immediately to "Re-run" the setup support rules checklist - I did not even have to exit and re-start the SQL installer.  My guess is this registry entry will re-appear after the installation / next reboot, if I understand what you've all said in this forum.

Thank you to VidhyaSagar and Peter_H for the information, and the rest who confirmed that it worked.

LongtimeUser.

Monday, December 28, 2009 5:38 AM
  • I've purchased my last Logitec camera.

PatD

I run the current one on Win 7 without using the Logitec software.
    • Edited by PismoPat Monday, December 28, 2009 8:34 PM update
    Monday, December 28, 2009 8:33 PM
  • Excellent. That fixed this problem for me.
    MarkU
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6:23 PM
  • Thanks to Users MedalsLemonadeAust, perfect ! The same problem on Server2008 X64 was solved.
    Saturday, March 06, 2010 7:46 PM
  • I tried this fix and it worked for me.  I was running Windows 7 64-bit and did just buy and install a logitech webcam.
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 11:11 AM
  • You'd think that Logitech would have fixed this by now.  No more Logitech Cam for me.  I have one but did not install the software.  Works fine, just can't zoom.
    PatD
    Saturday, April 03, 2010 6:14 AM
  • After further investigation mine was actually caused by a printer which is mapped during system startup and is an Epson C1100.

I do have a logitech camera but could never get the non-Microsoft drivers to work in Windows 7. Windows helpfully offers to download and install the drivers and program for you which upon installation just crashes when launched. So I'm just left with the most basic functionality.

This problem affects other programs and not just SQL Server although most program installations do not seem to bother checking this key. I'm guessing that only programs which themselves use this key to write changes required on reboot in which case require the key to be blank (no other pending changes). The issue has occurred for me on Windows 7 computers as well.

Robin Wilson
    Thursday, April 08, 2010 11:08 PM
  • Deleting the registry key worked for me.  I did not restart after I deleted the key I just reran the install.
    • Proposed as answer by Grejen Wednesday, September 08, 2010 7:46 PM
    Tuesday, May 04, 2010 5:02 PM
  • I also was able to continue after removing all registry instances of PendingFileRenameOperations.  I can not confirm which software installation it was related to.  Thanks to everyone for the thread.
    Tuesday, June 01, 2010 11:06 AM
  • Thank you for your help.  This worked for me.

Trevor

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:07 PM
  • This worked exactly as described for one of my clients as well. Thank you for the post. I have a couple more to fix up now (and expect a few others). We're installing SQL 2008 Express edition for a student version of Accpac.
    Wednesday, September 08, 2010 7:46 PM
  • That totally fixed the problem for me.  Good catch!
    Saturday, September 11, 2010 6:21 PM
  • Thank you!!! Worked perfectly.
    Monday, September 13, 2010 12:27 PM

Hope that helps.

Hello Peter,

Your solution worked for me like a charm. Thanks a lot.

Regards

Ashik

http://scornik.blogspot.com

Thursday, October 14, 2010 4:06 AM

Hope that helps.

The above post by peter h worked for me while using server 2008 but instead of currentcontrolset key I used controlset1 and it worked perfectly. thanks for your post Peter_H
    Sunday, October 31, 2010 10:52 AM
  • This process worked perfectly for me (as well as many others listed here). I am using XP SP3.

Thanks Peter_H!!!

I must add that it is quite concerning that one needs to go through the aggravation of finding this answer in order to load the app.

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 10:23 PM
  • thanks

worked for me too

Also realised that the old value keeps coming back becos they also exist in Currentcontrolset001 and currentcontrolset002. Deleting them from all these locations ensures they do not reappear.

Sunday, March 27, 2011 7:25 AM
  • Your solution worked for me. Thank You

One thing though surprises me is that this issue was reported back in 2008 and we are in 2011 still Microsoft has not released fix for it :)

Farooq.

Farooq Jiwani Microsoft E-Learning www.microsoft.com/elearning
    Friday, September 09, 2011 1:07 AM
  • I have this problem. Interestingly, I am removing all Microsoft software from my PC because of issues like this. I have swapped to open source software (APACHE, MYSQL, PHP etc.) and have control of my life again!
    Saturday, January 07, 2012 9:39 AM
  • Hi,

Please don't try to re-run it.

It'll start from where it was.

Setup should start automatically after the system restarts.

Cheers,

- Sekilha
    Monday, January 09, 2012 4:53 AM
  • I help people install SQL for our software all day every day when it fails to install with our batch file. This is a go to for me, I access this page every single day to help customers who get the reboot issue! Good find Peter!
    • Edited by NME1303 Tuesday, June 12, 2012 9:23 PM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 9:19 PM
  • /SkipRules=VSShellInstalledRule RebootRequiredCheck

Rick

Friday, June 15, 2012 7:12 PM
  • This worked for me too.

Thanks.

Saturday, February 23, 2013 10:23 AM
  • Try the below

• Open Regedit

there is an second registry key, which will be checked:

"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\RebootRequired"

This one comes from WindowsUpdate and should not exist (also rename it like no_RebootRequired)

then try again by klicking the button "Re-run" (no need to restart the setup.exe)

• Proposed as answer by plectoBne Wednesday, July 17, 2013 9:53 AM
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 9:51 AM