none
Sql server ODBC connection error "Connection failed: SQLState: '08001' SQL Server Error:17"

Question

• Hi Everyone, 

I am having conundrum guys. I recently moved all my access linked database to new NAS device except one client all works fine with database where it comes out with error "

Connection failed:
    SQLState: '01000'
    SQL Server Error: 1703
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Multi-Protocol]
    ConnectionOpen(RPCopen())
    Connection failed:
    SQLState:'08001'
    SQL Server Error:11
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Multi-Protocol]General 
    network error. Check your network documentation.

When I test ODBC connection it completes successfully and I also checked permission and seems to be okey and also checked security in SQL database it has permission to  connect to corresponding database. To let you know guys I recently changed the password of that machine to blank and urged my colleague to change in next login so is it because of password its not connecting. I am using TCP/IP dynamic port in ODBC connection. One thing I dont understand is that why its functioning well in all clients except one which I checked previous day before changing password it was working fine.I am using sql server 2000 and access 2003 database.

GUYS HELP HELP!!!!!

Cheers

bis
    • Edited by bsunuwar Thursday, June 09, 2011 2:42 PM
    Thursday, June 09, 2011 2:37 PM

Answers

• What is your client operating system? If it is Windows XP or earlier version, please first check the client settings:

1. Check your SQL Server Client Network Utility settings.

Open SQL Server Client Network Utility by running Cliconfg.exe from command prompt on your client machine, selected the General tab and make sure that the TCP/IP protocol and named pipes protocols that your SQL Server support are enabled. You can check what the protocols your SQL Server support by running SQL Server Server Network Utility at your server side. Make sure that they are equal and then you can create an alias with the sql server name with a specific protocol like TCP and TCP port in the Client Network Utility. The alias must be the name that you used to connect to your SQL Server instance.

2. If the above does not work, please check if there is any problem of your MDAC with MDAC checker, http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=1953 

3. Make sure that your client operating system has the latest service pack installed.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 11:44 AM

All replies

• >>To let you know guys I recently changed the password of that machine to blank and urged my colleague to change in next login so is it because of password its not connecting. 

Can you update the password and check if that works? If you could provide reproduce steps, I would like to test this on my boxes.

Thanks,

Best Regards | Alex Feng

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 8:27 AM
  • What is your client operating system? If it is Windows XP or earlier version, please first check the client settings:

1. Check your SQL Server Client Network Utility settings.

Open SQL Server Client Network Utility by running Cliconfg.exe from command prompt on your client machine, selected the General tab and make sure that the TCP/IP protocol and named pipes protocols that your SQL Server support are enabled. You can check what the protocols your SQL Server support by running SQL Server Server Network Utility at your server side. Make sure that they are equal and then you can create an alias with the sql server name with a specific protocol like TCP and TCP port in the Client Network Utility. The alias must be the name that you used to connect to your SQL Server instance.

2. If the above does not work, please check if there is any problem of your MDAC with MDAC checker, http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=1953 

3. Make sure that your client operating system has the latest service pack installed.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 11:44 AM