none
MSSQL 2008 SP1 install fails: A failure was detected for a previous installation, patch, or repair 0x84B20001

Question

• When attempting to install SQL Server 2008 SP1, I get the "Setup Failure" message below, along with Error code 0x84B20001.  I did read the summary*.txt files from previous installations in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log" as mentioned in the error message; the "Final result" and "Exit message" of the previous install is "Passed", so I'm not finding an answer that way.  I have also pasted the version info below.  What would you advise?

A failure was detected for a previous installation, patch, or repair during configuration for features [SQL_DTS_Full,Connectivity_Full,SQL_SSMS_Full,SDK_Full,Tools_Legacy_Full,SQL_BIDS_Full,SQL_SSMS_Adv,SQL_PowerShell_Tools_ANS,SQL_WRITER,]. In order to apply this patch package (KB968369), you must resolve any issues with the previous operation that failed. View the summary.txt log to determine why the previous operation failed.

select
    @@VERSION
    Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (RTM) - 10.0.1600.22 (X64)
    Jul 9 2008 14
    :17:44
    Copyright
    (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation
    Enterprise Edition
    (64-bit) on Windows NT 5.2 <X64> (Build 3790: Service Pack 2)
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 2:06 PM

Answers

• There was a failure during the initial installation and the installation needs to be repaired before applying the patch. You need to run Repair first. The Repair  option is located on Maintenance page in SQL Server Installation Center.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:45 PM

All replies

• There was a failure during the initial installation and the installation needs to be repaired before applying the patch. You need to run Repair first. The Repair  option is located on Maintenance page in SQL Server Installation Center.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:45 PM
  • Hello,

I think that before doing any repair, you should have a look on the log file ( for install ) in the subdirectory Bootstrap
    Be careful, the summary.txt contains nearly nothing except that you will find the exact name of the log file corresponding to each step of the install.
    In one, you will find an error or warning indicating that the install was not good.

Have a nice day
    Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 5:43 PM
  • Thanks, Milos.  I could not find what the specific problem was by reading the previous logs, but after running Repair as you described, I was able to install SP1 successfully. 
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:27 PM
  • To fix this issue, simply run a "repair" installation of SQL Server 2008. Once the repair is complete, you should be able to install SP1 with no issue. In some cases, a reboot after the repair was required before installing the SQL Service Pack.

Christopher Tenzycki,
    MCITP: Enterprise Administrator, Server Administrator
    MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring; Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuring; Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring; Deploying and Maintaining Windows Vista Client and 2007 Microsoft Office System Desktops; Windows Vista, Configuring
    MCSE: Windows 2000
    MCDBA: SQL Server 2000
    MCP, A+, Network+

Monday, May 11, 2009 6:37 PM
  • Hi Milos

I have the same problem, so I launched the Repair Wizard, and it is asking me for a folder.

I am running SQL Server Express 64-bit on Vista Ultimate SP2.

Any idea which folder I should be looking for?

Thanks

Ross

Ross
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:27 PM
  • Ross,

It is the DVD-ROM Drive that you have your SQL DVD inserted. Or it can be any folder that you keep a copy of SQL installation files.

Good luck,
    Laploy
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 7:54 PM
  • I have determined the problem in my very similar situation.  One of my developers initially requested SQL 2008x64 Standard on a Windows 2008 R2 server.  All was good until it was decided to move to SQL 2008 Enterprise.  However, Enterprise was installed without "Upgrade" option.  It was just installed on top of Standard without any type of un-install.  Then trying to apply Service Pack on top of that caused some issues, apparently viewing the installation as corrupt or incomplete.  After trying the uninstall several times, no success with tons of research.  Finally ended up rebuilding the 2008 R2 server with fresh SQL 2008 install.  Annoyingly frustrating.

Wednesday, July 07, 2010 2:30 AM
  • I ran REPAIR and REPAIR ran successfully.

But when I applied SP1 I failed with the error,

"A failure was detected for a previous installation, patch, or repair for instance 'XXXXXXXX' during configuration for features [MPT_AGENT_CORE_CNI,]. In order to apply this patch package (KB968369), you must resolve any issues with the previous operation that failed. View the summary.txt log to determine why the previous operation failed.

Error code 0x84B20001."

Is this because I didn't reboot after REPAIR?

• Proposed as answer by JSQL DBA Tuesday, October 05, 2010 3:16 PM
    Tuesday, October 05, 2010 3:05 PM
  • I ran REPAIR and REPAIR ran successfully.

But when I applied SP1 I failed with the error,

"A failure was detected for a previous installation, patch, or repair for instance 'XXXXXXXX' during configuration for features [MPT_AGENT_CORE_CNI,]. In order to apply this patch package (KB968369), you must resolve any issues with the previous operation that failed. View the summary.txt log to determine why the previous operation failed.

Error code 0x84B20001."

Is this because I didn't reboot after REPAIR?

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 3:16 PM
  • Repair, Reboot, Rerun. Worked for me.
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 7:04 PM
  • Hello,

A reboot is never a bad thing after a repair, the install of a KB,CU or SP or after the change of important settings of a SQL Server instance.

I your last post , the error message contains "you must resolve any issues with the previous operation that failed. View the summary.txt log to determine why the previous operation failed".

Please, could you provide us the contain of this summary.txt ? It is never destroyed as it is in a directory of which the name is included the date + hour of the faulty install.

Have a nice day

Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:22 PM
  • Absolutely worked. I had used a MS ISO file from the MAPS partnership for the orig. installation. I could not repair from Control Panel, so I found the file, remounted it and ran the repair from its option. Rebooted and ran the SP.

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:07 AM