none
licensing options

Question

• Hello all,

Just wanted to get some feedback on this scenario. I will be developing an ASP.net application for our local intranet that employees will have access to. It may also be implmented to allow employees to access this ASP site from home as well. I would be using SQL Server 2000 as the backend DB and wondered what type of licensing would best fit this scenario?

Sorry if this is double posted....seemed to be having some issues with posting.

Thank you!
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 5:26 PM

Answers

• Depending on the size of the database, you can use SQL Express and it would be free.  Generally speaking web database servers have a per processor license because you can't guarantee the number of users that are using the server.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 5:38 PM
  • If you only have few hundreds of employees you could use sql express or if fewer you could just use Access as DB.

About how to implement your case, my ideas are:

1. you could just create a secret link and only let your employees know

2. you could limit the IPs which access your site in IIS

3. you could assign user names and passwords for your employees to login.

Hope this helps.

Friday, May 30, 2008 2:06 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Depending on the size of the database, you can use SQL Express and it would be free.  Generally speaking web database servers have a per processor license because you can't guarantee the number of users that are using the server.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 5:38 PM
  • Thank you for the reply.

Yea I had read as much, but I wasn't sure how that would apply to this case because I would just want employees to be able to access it, not anyone else from the internet. So my number of users would be at most the number of employees we have.
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 6:01 PM
  • If you only have few hundreds of employees you could use sql express or if fewer you could just use Access as DB.

About how to implement your case, my ideas are:

1. you could just create a secret link and only let your employees know

2. you could limit the IPs which access your site in IIS

3. you could assign user names and passwords for your employees to login.

Hope this helps.

Friday, May 30, 2008 2:06 AM
    Answerer
  •  samothc wrote:
    Thank you for the reply.

Yea I had read as much, but I wasn't sure how that would apply to this case because I would just want employees to be able to access it, not anyone else from the internet. So my number of users would be at most the number of employees we have.

Check this document to get overall picture of Licensing. Its talking about 2005 but it applicable to 2000 also

Madhu

Friday, May 30, 2008 4:41 AM