none
Management Studio for SQL Server 2005 Standard

Question

• I'm new to SQL Server and am just getting started with it. I received a copy of SQL Server 2005 Standard edition from the Launch Party here in Ottawa and successfully installed it on my server yesterday. I've look around the Internet, as well as the DVD for SQL Server Management Studio, but I have been unable to find it. The only thing that I have been able to find the the Management Studio Express which targets SQL Server 2005 Express. Can someone direct me to the Management Studio that targets the Standard edition?

Thank you.
    Tuesday, December 06, 2005 8:36 AM

Answers

• Here's the deal. It sounds like you installed something from the Client Components install but not Management Studio. This means that you need to run it in maintenance mode. To do this, go to "Add or Remove Programs", find the entry for "SQL Server 2005", select it and hit the Change button. Under the section for "SQL Server 2005 Common Components" you'll see an entry for "Workstation Components", select it and hit the next button. Keep following the dialogs until you come to one called "Change or Remove Instance", be sure to select "Change Installed Components". The Feature Selection dialog will appear. Expand the "Client Components" node, select "Management Tools" and click next. Follow the remaining dialogs. After setup runs you should find "SQL Server Management Studio" in the Start menu.

Cheers,
    Dan
    Tuesday, December 06, 2005 10:59 PM

All replies

• You're not going to find Management Studio as a standalone on the DVD or on the Internet. Since SQL Serveris already installed, I would say go into the \tools\ subfolder on the DVD and run setup. This is the setup for workstation and client tools only. From here you will be able tochoose Client Components > Management Tools on the Feature Selection screen. You should also install Documentation, Samples, and Sample Databases > SQL Server Books Online. A wrote in message news:fea992cd-ab73-4ebe-b555-67a27824e493@discussions.microsoft.com... > I'm new to SQL Server and am just getting started with it. I received a > copy of SQL Server 2005 Standard edition from the Launch Party here in > Ottawa and successfully installed it on my server yesterday. I've look > around the Internet, as well as the DVD for SQL Server Management > Studio, but I have been unable to find it. The only thing that I have > been able to find the the Management Studio Express which targets SQL > Server 2005 Express. Can someone direct me to the Management Studio that > targets the Standard edition? > > Thank you. > >
    • Proposed as answer by mfrank2 Wednesday, January 12, 2011 5:54 PM
    Tuesday, December 06, 2005 2:16 PM
  • (Before installing these again, of course, I would check and make sure it isn't listed under Programs > Microsoft SQL Server 2005 > SQL Server Management Studio. wrote in message news:fea992cd-ab73-4ebe-b555-67a27824e493@discussions.microsoft.com... > I'm new to SQL Server and am just getting started with it. I received a > copy of SQL Server 2005 Standard edition from the Launch Party here in > Ottawa and successfully installed it on my server yesterday. I've look > around the Internet, as well as the DVD for SQL Server Management > Studio, but I have been unable to find it. The only thing that I have > been able to find the the Management Studio Express which targets SQL > Server 2005 Express. Can someone direct me to the Management Studio that > targets the Standard edition? > > Thank you. > >
    Tuesday, December 06, 2005 2:19 PM
  • Thanks for the help. I can assure you that it wasn't listed under Programs > Microsoft SQL Server 2005 > SQL Server Management Studio.

I did attempt to run the tools setup, and I did see the option there for Management Studio as well as Reporting Services, although all of the options were marked as not installed despite the fact that I do have Reporting Services installed. I select to install all of them and proceeded, but I received the following error. Uninstalling the Tools and Documentation option under Add/Remove Programs and then re-installing produces the same error.

None of the selected features can be installed or upgraded. Setup cannot proceed since no effective change is being made to the machine. To continue, click Back and then select features to install. To exit SQL Server Setup, click Cancel.
    Tuesday, December 06, 2005 5:41 PM
  • Maybe you can post in the setup group and someone frm Microsoft can help you. I can assure you that setup works, I just installed Management Studio only on a handful of machines here. wrote in message news:c4d1d905-015d-4d07-9373-b79a0420f78a@discussions.microsoft.com... > Thanks for the help. I can assure you that it wasn't listed under > Programs > Microsoft SQL Server 2005 > SQL Server Management Studio. > > I did attempt to run the tools setup, and I did see the option there for > Management Studio as well as Reporting Services, although all of the > options were marked as not installed despite the fact that I do have > Reporting Services installed. I select to install all of them and > proceeded, but I received the following error. Uninstalling the Tools > and Documentation option under Add/Remove Programs and then > re-installing produces the same error. > > None of the selected features can be installed or upgraded. Setup cannot > proceed since no effective change is being made to the machine. To > continue, click Back and then select features to install. To exit SQL > Server Setup, click Cancel. > >
    Tuesday, December 06, 2005 8:10 PM
  • Here's the deal. It sounds like you installed something from the Client Components install but not Management Studio. This means that you need to run it in maintenance mode. To do this, go to "Add or Remove Programs", find the entry for "SQL Server 2005", select it and hit the Change button. Under the section for "SQL Server 2005 Common Components" you'll see an entry for "Workstation Components", select it and hit the next button. Keep following the dialogs until you come to one called "Change or Remove Instance", be sure to select "Change Installed Components". The Feature Selection dialog will appear. Expand the "Client Components" node, select "Management Tools" and click next. Follow the remaining dialogs. After setup runs you should find "SQL Server Management Studio" in the Start menu.

Cheers,
    Dan
    Tuesday, December 06, 2005 10:59 PM
  • Thanks Dan, that did the trick. Although I must say I was rather confused from the beginning considering the fact that the product comparison sheet for the line of SQL Server 2005 SKU's states that the Management Studio tool is a downloadable extension...
    • Proposed as answer by Ondrej Rudolf Tuesday, July 03, 2012 9:59 AM
    Wednesday, December 07, 2005 6:01 AM
  • > Thanks Dan, that did the trick. Although I must say I was rather
    > confused from the beginning considering the fact that the product
    > comparison sheet for the line of SQL Server 2005 SKU's states that the
    > Management Studio tool is a downloadable extension...

What comparison sheet is this?  Are you sure you're not confusing Management 
    Studio with Management Studio Express?

A 

Wednesday, December 07, 2005 3:26 PM
  • The SQL Server 2005 Feature Comparison page, under the Manageability section you'll see a listing for SQL Server Management Studio1. If you check beneath that table, 1 signifies that SQL Server Management Studio is "Only available as a separate download." Had me confused from the beginning unfortunately.
    Wednesday, December 07, 2005 5:28 PM
  • I think the reference to the footnote (1) should have been on the checkmark under Express Edition, since it is the only version that didn't initially ship with a graphical management tool. It also has a slightly different name for Express Edition, so sadly I think this chart is pretty inaccurate. A wrote in message news:a5ed9137-641d-4cac-94ee-ba92cfe7a1d8@discussions.microsoft.com... > The SQL Server 2005 Feature Comparison > > page, under the Manageability section you'll see a listing for SQL > Server Management Studio1. If you check beneath that table, 1 signifies > that SQL Server Management Studio is "Only available as a separate > download." Had me confused from the beginning unfortunately. > >
    Wednesday, December 07, 2005 6:50 PM
  • Since the "rate this content" textbox only supports 256 characters (!) I sent them a link to my feedback for this section of that page: http://www.aspfaq.com/sql01.htm wrote in message news:a5ed9137-641d-4cac-94ee-ba92cfe7a1d8@discussions.microsoft.com... > The SQL Server 2005 Feature Comparison > > page, under the Manageability section you'll see a listing for SQL > Server Management Studio1. If you check beneath that table, 1 signifies > that SQL Server Management Studio is "Only available as a separate > download." Had me confused from the beginning unfortunately. > >
    Wednesday, December 07, 2005 6:58 PM
  • I followed your instructions and everything was as you stated except when I expand "Client Components" I do not see "Management tools" I do see "Connectivity componenets", "Business Intell...", SDK, "SQLXML client Features" and "legacy components". I have "SQL Server 2005 standard edition". I would assume I get the management tools. The only other thing with my install is that I am using windows 2000 with IE 5.0. The install only warns me about the IE 5.0 version. Since I can not go to the web from this server I didn't update the IE version. I have read all of the other comments on this topic but most deal with the "Express version" which I do not have installed.

Any other thoughts on this?

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 7:11 PM
  • not wanting to hijack this thread or anyhitng but i'm having an issue with management studio. we're in the process of upgrading from sql 2000 to 2005 (x64) and i'd like to install management studio on my work station (similar to my enterprise manager setup) so i'm not having to RDP into the server in order to use it. However, since we've got the x64 version of SQL 2005 it doesn't let me run the setup on my machine as it isn't 64bit. Is there anyway other than using the express version to have management studio on my workstation???

any help is much appreciated chaps!

Thursday, April 26, 2007 1:54 PM
  • HI Dan,

You made my day,I was looking around for this solution.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 5:00 PM
  • Thanks for sharing.

http://channel9.msdn.com/forums/Coffeehouse/139463-Installing-SQL-Server-2005-Standard/

Frank Xu Lei--谦卑若愚,好学若饥
    专注于.NET平台下分布式应用系统开发和企业应用系统集成
    Focus on Distributed Applications Development and EAI based on .NET

老徐的网站】:http://www.frankxulei.com/

微软WCF中文技术论坛
    微软WCF英文技术论坛

Friday, October 22, 2010 5:34 PM
  • Hi!

I am busy with same problem, i am trying to do what you say but i can not reach "Change or Remove Instance" during configuration it says me "Pending Reboot Requirements". I reboot computer but i doesn't change always says the same problem. What can i do else to use Management Studio or what is this nonsence problem that always happens to me =(

Please urgenty help.

Thanks in advance.

Ahmet UZUN
    Thursday, February 03, 2011 4:33 PM
  • Hi All,

I tried more than three times re-installation of SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition in Windows 7 Enterpise edition O.S but it did not help me so  at last I tried installing Sql server Enterprise edition then I got managment studio my problem is solved.

Thank you

Prashant.C.Upadhye

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 8:14 AM