none
Where is installed the sqlbrowser.exe ?

Question

• Hello,

for SQL Server 2005 , sqlbrowser.exe is installed in the folder Microsoft SQL Server\90

for SQL Server 2008, it is installed in the same folder

for SQL Server 2008 R2, on a Windows 7, it is installed in the same folder 90 ( for me 90 = SQL Server 2005 )

but in http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181087(v=sql.105).aspx , i found

"By default, the SQL Server Browser program is installed at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Shared\sqlbrowser.exe"

in http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181087(v=sql.110).aspx , i found :

"By default, the SQL Server Browser program is installed at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Shared\sqlbrowser.exe"

I believe to have seen in a Microsoft blog that the sqlbrowser.exe is not installed in the folder corresponding to the version of SQL Server ( 90 ==> 2005 , 110 ==> 2012 ) but in the folder 90 because it is existing only one version of SQL Server Browser common for all the instances ( ==> only one executable possible ).

Maybe , i missed something or i am going wrong or there is now a change in the way that SQL Server is installed.

I retrieved the blog :

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sql_protocols/archive/2008/04/07/why-browser-is-installed-under-90-shared-directory-rathar-than-100-shared.aspx 

Have i misunderstood the documentation, or is a little error occured in the documentation ?

Have a nice day

For the SQL Server Documentation Team : i am not critisizing your work, i know that you are doing an excellent work.But as i am going on with my difficulties in english, an error from me is always possible.

Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Papy Normand,

I have looked into the location of sqlbrowser.exe on several servers (64-bit), with only SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2008 R2 and SQL Server 2012 instances installed respectively. As the blog above pointed, the directly of SQL Browser is ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared’ by default. I think it might be a document bug on SQL Server 2008 and later version, with the location under the corresponding version folder.

Stephanie Lv

TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 02, 2012 3:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Papy Normand,

I have looked into the location of sqlbrowser.exe on several servers (64-bit), with only SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2008 R2 and SQL Server 2012 instances installed respectively. As the blog above pointed, the directly of SQL Browser is ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared’ by default. I think it might be a document bug on SQL Server 2008 and later version, with the location under the corresponding version folder.

Stephanie Lv

TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 02, 2012 3:15 AM
  • Hello Stephanie,

Many thanks for your reply.

You have confirmed what i was thinking : there is a little bug in the SQL Server Documentation. I will try to warn the SQL Server Documentation Team about it.

It is a shame because, since 4 years, they have worked hard to eliminate every error to give us a documentation near of 20/20 ( the 0 error is of course impossible ).

I have only one regreat about this documentation : they have changed the way the subjects are available  with SQL Server 2012. It is unpleasant especially because the documentations for the previous versions have not changed. It will need a period to get me used with this new way and i seem to waste my time when i am changing of version...

Have a nice day

Monday, April 02, 2012 4:17 PM
  • Hi Stephanie,

The request for a modification of the BOL has been transmitted to the SQL Server Documentation Team. It should be effective in a month or a quarter.

Have a nice day

Monday, April 02, 2012 6:38 PM