none
How estimating in a rapid manner the size of a database - SQL Server 2012

Question

• Hi,

I need to know if it exists an automatic tool (f.e. Excel worksheet) to determine quickly the estimated size for a db, having the tables to implement and the colums (with type and lenght) to create,

Any suggests to me, please?

Thanks

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 7:48 AM

All replies

• Hello!

Do you wanna know the size of an existing db? You can run the following command:

sp_helpdb

Regards,

André César Rodrigues

Please click the Mark as answer button and vote as helpful if this reply solves your problem. Thanks!

Blog: http://sqlmagu.blogspot.com.br  LinkedIn:   

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 12:25 PM
  • Hi, I'm talking about the estimated size and not the actual size of a db. I need to understand the possible size before creating the db.

Thanks

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 12:39 PM
  • Look at the tables that will become the biggest in size, take a sample and increment this by the expected growth.

It does depend on the row size and amount of indexes, so you need a sample to go from there.

Andreas Wolter | Microsoft Certified Master SQL Server
    Blog: www.insidesql.org/blogs/andreaswolter
    Web: www.andreas-wolter.com

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 2:09 PM
  • when you create new database it tooks the copy of model database. your model database size will be approx. size of your new database. After creation the amount of data you are going to insert will determine the size. 

Regards,
    Rohit Garg
    (My Blog)
    This posting is provided with no warranties and confers no rights.
    Please remember to click Mark as Answer and Vote as Helpful on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 2:19 PM
  • Ok, but does it exist a rapid manner (with a tool) to estimate the size without creating the db?

Thanks

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 2:25 PM
  • You could use the "Data generation" feature of Visual Studio to assist in creating data.

other than that, if the developer hasn't prepared an Excel sheet with some calculations there is no way out of the blue other than "rapid" guessing.

Andreas Wolter | Microsoft Certified Master SQL Server
    Blog: www.insidesql.org/blogs/andreaswolter
    Web: www.andreas-wolter.com

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 2:56 PM
  • Ok, but does it exist a rapid manner (with a tool) to estimate the size without creating the db?

Estimate the size of the data itself and double it for basic table sizes.

Indexing is harder to estimate and can take significant space, but I'd say double it again.

So, about 4x the size of the raw data for an OLTP database, I'd say will get you a *rough* estimate.

Then of course you need space for logs, space for tempdb, space for backups, and space for ETL files.

Luckily disk space is cheap, though when you put it on a first-class SAN, and then duplicate the whole thing for dev, fix, QA, UAT, DR, and HA ... maybe not so cheap!

Good luck,

Josh

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 3:21 PM