none
Datbase unit testing. Will it be in Juneau?

Answers

• Greetings Jamie!

We recognize the importance of this funtionality and we're currently working on a plan. Feel free to follow up with me directly in a couple of months - dalanger at microsoft dot com.

Thanx,
    Dave

Dave Langer Principal Program Manager SQL Server Developer Tools, Codename "Juneau"
    Friday, May 20, 2011 3:51 PM

All replies

• Greetings Jamie!

We recognize the importance of this funtionality and we're currently working on a plan. Feel free to follow up with me directly in a couple of months - dalanger at microsoft dot com.

Thanx,
    Dave

Dave Langer Principal Program Manager SQL Server Developer Tools, Codename "Juneau"
    Friday, May 20, 2011 3:51 PM
  • Friday, May 20, 2011 4:00 PM
  • Just wondering if there is any update on this?

I too use the VS2010 DB Unit Testing heavily and cannot convert to SSDT without this.

If it will not be available day 1 can we continue to develop databases for Denali in the current VS2010 toolset? 

My company will be upgrading to Denali quickly as we are eager to use replicas. However I'm very concerned that DB development will be interuppted heavily.

Thanks

Simon

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 11:50 AM
  • Just wondering if there is any update on this?

I too use the VS2010 DB Unit Testing heavily and cannot convert to SSDT without this.

If it will not be available day 1 can we continue to develop databases for Denali in the current VS2010 toolset? 

My company will be upgrading to Denali quickly as we are eager to use replicas. However I'm very concerned that DB development will be interuppted heavily.

Thanks

Simon

Hi Simon,

The latest I've heard is that unit testing will not be in Juneau. Initially I was pretty annoyed about this but actually, since I thought it through, I've come to the conclusion that we have nothing to complain about really. Currently you need VS2010 to run database unit testing and Juneau doesn't change that; the only change is that new stuff is going into the SQL Server box, nothing is being taken away from anything.

So, if you have a license for VS2010 that allows you to do unit testing (which you clearly have) then go right on and continue to use it. Juneau doesn't change that.

My twopenneth worth...

Regards

Jamie

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/jamie_thomson/ | @jamiet | About me
    Jamie Thomson
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 12:49 PM
  • Thanks Jamie.

Providing that VS2010 Unit Test projects work against Denali databases this does seem ok. Though its makes my TFS builds more complex as it will have to use two solutions. But if it works it works.

It would be interesting to hear from MS as to when we can expect these tools in SSDT - and pricing for that matter ;)

Simon

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 5:00 PM
  • Though its makes my TFS builds more complex as it will have to use two solutions.

Hi Simon,

I don't think that's true. Both Juneau and DB Unit Testing projects run inside VS2010 and DB Unit Testing doesn't have any dependancy on the existing database projects so I see no reason why they can't live in the same solution.

As I say, if you already have DB Unit testing then carry right on using it. If you don't already have DB Unit Testing then, well, you won't miss anything by using Juneau.

Regards
    Jamie

Jamie Thomson
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 5:04 PM
  • It would be interesting to hear from MS as to when we can expect these tools in SSDT - and pricing for that matter ;)

Don't hold your breath :)

Jamie Thomson
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 5:04 PM
  • The December 2012 release of SSDT adds support for database unit testing

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ssdt/archive/2012/12/13/available-today-ssdt-december-2012.aspx

Thursday, December 13, 2012 5:40 PM