none
How to install & use Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS) 2008 & Visual Studio 2008?

Question

• Hello everybody,
    In my company, we want to use  Business Intelligence Development Studio BIDS 2008 which is compatible with Visual Studio 2008. I know that BIDS 
    comes only with SQLServer 2008 Enterprise Edition. The main problem now is the following:
    1. We have the SQLServer 2008 Enterprise Edition in the Reporting Server that we will use for generating reports. 
    My Question now: Should we install BIDS on the server or on the clien workstation? 
    Also, I have some questions somehow related to this issue and I will be more grateful to you if I can get some 
    answers to them because I googled a lot and I could not be able to find many resources about the BIDS. The other 
    quesitons are: 
    1. Currently, we are using Visual Studio 2010 and I know that it does not support BIDS, but is it possible to create reports using it instead of downgrading to VS 2008 and installing BIDS.
    2. Is there any manual of how to generate report using VS.
    3. what is the difference between BIDS and SQLServer Reporting Services?
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 2:42 PM

Answers

• BIDS provides some advanced capabilities not supported by the Report Builder. If your report is a fairly simple one then you can get away with using it. SQLServer Express is basically a throw away thing when it comes to developing ETL or SSRS, etc. SQL Express is only a subset of the full fledged database engine found in other editions. So I suggest you even remove it. Get yourself a Developer edition of SQL Server instead.
    Arthur My Blog
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Your assumption “BIDS comes only with SQLServer 2008 Enterprise Edition” is incorrect because BIDS also comes with Standard, Developer Editions etc.

You can install BIDS on your server, I usually install it on a development server. But if you don’t have a development server, you can install it on your work station and develop/deploy your stuff from your work station. Please note that SQL Server 2008 Business Intelligence Development Studio is built on Visual Studio 2008 and is a light version of Visual Studio 2008. You’ll need to install Visual Studio 2008 to support SQL Server 2008 BI.

You cannot create reports using Visual Studio 2010 yet, please submit your feedback here - http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/569374/visual-studio-2010-and-bids-not-available

For questions on how to design reports, follow the articles:

http://www.accelebrate.com/sql_training/ssrs_2008_tutorial.htm

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb522859.aspx

Difference between SSRS and BIDS - BIDS is an IDE(Integrated Development Environment) for designing/developing/deploying Business Intelligence solutions utilizing the Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services, Reporting Services and Integration Services.

Hope this helps!

Thursday, December 29, 2011 3:18 PM
  • Hello matrix388,

Re #1 (top): A good practice is not to install development tools on production servers. The main reason is reducing the a potential attack vector and the number of updates a machine would need.

BIDS is available in all editions except SQL Express. Besides, a developer would typically use a SQL Server Developer edition (a $50 USD or so license);

Furthermore, a typical life cycle is you develop on a test/Dev machine and then deploy a report to SIT or Prod boxes. So never develop right on the prod server. The development tools better reside on the client machine, but not a hard rule.

Once the client tools + SSRS are installed the SSRS template will appear in VS 2010, so yes, you can develop then your reports right inside VS 2010, but bear in mind .Net 4 should not be chosen for any SSRS related report in it.

SQL USA (Kalman Toth) has very good quality videos on SSRS, see one of them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9JJ8mtLpSo

Re #3: BIDS is a VS "shell" so to speak that permits a developer to create certain type of projects e.g. ETL - SSIS, SSRS (the reports), DB projects, and so forth, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) is a component of SQL Server 2005 and above to develop and run IIS or SharePoint hosted reports.

Arthur My Blog
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 3:30 PM
  • Hi,

Your assumption “BIDS comes only with SQLServer 2008 Enterprise Edition” is incorrect because BIDS also comes with Standard, Developer Editions etc.

You can install BIDS on your server, I usually install it on a development server. But if you don’t have a development server, you can install it on your work station and develop/deploy your stuff from your work station. Please note that SQL Server 2008 Business Intelligence Development Studio is built on Visual Studio 2008 and is a light version of Visual Studio 2008. You’ll need to install Visual Studio 2008 to support SQL Server 2008 BI.

You cannot create reports using Visual Studio 2010 yet, please submit your feedback here - http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/569374/visual-studio-2010-and-bids-not-available

For questions on how to design reports, follow the articles:

http://www.accelebrate.com/sql_training/ssrs_2008_tutorial.htm

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb522859.aspx

Difference between SSRS and BIDS - BIDS is an IDE(Integrated Development Environment) for designing/developing/deploying Business Intelligence solutions utilizing the Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services, Reporting Services and Integration Services.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for you help and sorry because I did not clarify what I want. What I want to know is the following:

In my work station, I have SQLServer 2008 R2 Express Edition and Visual Studio 2010 and Visual Studio 2008. In our servers which are Development Server that includes our web applications, Reporting Server that has a database about the projects, we are using SQLServer 2008 Enterprise Edition. Now, I was asked to develop reports using the data in the reporting server. So, I googled and read a little bit about the requirements of generating reports and I found that I need to have BIDS and Reporting Services is apart from it. 

I want to know now what should I put in the server and my workstation to able to generate reports. Should install BIDS in the server or it should be installed in my workstation? Is it required to have BIDS for generating report or is it possible to have reporting services without BIDS?

Please help me with this situation

Thursday, December 29, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Hello matrix388,

Re #1 (top): A good practice is not to install development tools on production servers. The main reason is reducing the a potential attack vector and the number of updates a machine would need.

BIDS is available in all editions except SQL Express. Besides, a developer would typically use a SQL Server Developer edition (a $50 USD or so license);

Furthermore, a typical life cycle is you develop on a test/Dev machine and then deploy a report to SIT or Prod boxes. So never develop right on the prod server. The development tools better reside on the client machine, but not a hard rule.

Once the client tools + SSRS are installed the SSRS template will appear in VS 2010, so yes, you can develop then your reports right inside VS 2010, but bear in mind .Net 4 should not be chosen for any SSRS related report in it.

SQL USA (Kalman Toth) has very good quality videos on SSRS, see one of them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9JJ8mtLpSo

Re #3: BIDS is a VS "shell" so to speak that permits a developer to create certain type of projects e.g. ETL - SSIS, SSRS (the reports), DB projects, and so forth, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) is a component of SQL Server 2005 and above to develop and run IIS or SharePoint hosted reports.

Arthur My Blog

Thanks for you help and sorry because I did not clarify what I want. What I want to know is the following:

In my work station, I have SQLServer 2008 R2 Express Edition and Visual Studio 2010 and Visual Studio 2008. In our servers which are Development Server that includes our web applications, Reporting Server that has a database about the projects, we are using SQLServer 2008 Enterprise Edition. Now, I was asked to develop reports using the data in the reporting server. So, I googled and read a little bit about the requirements of generating reports and I found that I need to have BIDS and Reporting Services is apart from it. 

I want to know now what should I put in the server and my workstation to able to generate reports. Should install BIDS in the server or it should be installed in my workstation? Is it required to have BIDS for generating report or is it possible to have reporting services without BIDS?

Please help me with this situation

Thursday, December 29, 2011 3:47 PM
  • You need to have BIDS on your work station to be able to create reports. Follow the instruction on the links I posted, you'll need to create a project in BIDS, set up a data source etc. Check if you have BIDS on your work station, if you don't have it, please install it.

You need to spend some time getting familiar with the product, just follow the tutorials and you should be good.

Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:08 PM
  • Some reports can be generated without BIDS, there is a tool called Report Builder, the end result is a SSRS report but this tool is tad easier to learn.

Arthur My Blog
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:23 PM
  • Some reports can be generated without BIDS, there is a tool called Report Builder, the end result is a SSRS report but this tool is tad easier to learn.

Arthur My Blog
    Could you please explain to me what did you mean by some reports can be generated without BIDS? Also, I think report builder is a free standalone component that I can use it directly without needing to install BIDS. Also, it works well with the SQLServer Express Edition, am i right?
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:32 PM
  • BIDS provides some advanced capabilities not supported by the Report Builder. If your report is a fairly simple one then you can get away with using it. SQLServer Express is basically a throw away thing when it comes to developing ETL or SSRS, etc. SQL Express is only a subset of the full fledged database engine found in other editions. So I suggest you even remove it. Get yourself a Developer edition of SQL Server instead.
    Arthur My Blog
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:40 PM