none
Connecting to SQL Server Remotely

Question

• Hi.  Thank you all in advance for your help.

I have a dedicated server with some hosting company that runs MS Windows Server (Standard) 2008 and MS SQL Server 2008 (Standard).  I want to be able to connect to the database server via a database utility (i.e. Toad, SQL Manager).  The database uses windows authentication.

MS SQL Server 2008 Settings on my dedicated server:
    1. Server Authentication = SQL Server and Windows Authentication mode
    2. Instance Name = MSSQLSERVER
    3. SQL Server Agent = Enabled
    4. SQL Server Network Configuration for MSSQLSERVER:
             VIA = Enabled
             TCP/IP = Enabled
             Shared Memory = Enabled
             Named Pipes = Enabled
    5. SQL Server Browser = Enabled
    6. I do have a check mark in the field for 'Allow remote connections to this server'

At home I am using my Windows Vista notebook and have installed SQL Manager.  I use the IP address of my dedicated on which SQL Server is installed; however, I am unable to connect.  If I use SQL Server Authentication, I am able to connect.  I do not see why it works using SQL Server Authentication and no Windows Authentication.

Another thing is that my notebook and dedicated server are not on the same network.  Can someone please help me on how I can connect to SQL Server 2008 using Windows Authentication or if this is even possible.  Where I eventually want to end up at is having several databases and having developers connect to the database they are authorized to modify.

Thank you,
    Ajay

Saturday, August 15, 2009 5:23 AM

Answers

• Hi Ajay,

Do you mean the client and server machines are in different domains? If this is the case, you need to configure domain controller to create trust between the two domains. Then, you need to create a login for your Windows account in SQL Server 2008 instance and assign the appropriate permissions to this login.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa337562.aspx

If there are any more questions, please let me know.
    Thanks.
    ***Xiao Min Tan***Microsoft Online Community***
    Monday, August 17, 2009 6:48 AM

All replies

• is the login ID on your notebook existsted and has access to the SQL Server ?
    KH Tan
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 3:50 PM
  • Hi Ajay,

Do you mean the client and server machines are in different domains? If this is the case, you need to configure domain controller to create trust between the two domains. Then, you need to create a login for your Windows account in SQL Server 2008 instance and assign the appropriate permissions to this login.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa337562.aspx

If there are any more questions, please let me know.
    Thanks.
    ***Xiao Min Tan***Microsoft Online Community***
    Monday, August 17, 2009 6:48 AM
  • You need disable the VIA.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, August 17, 2009 9:16 AM