none
SSRS 2005 and Dundas Controls upgrade to 2008R2

Question

• Hi All,

I've read various comments about upgrading from 2005 with Dundas contols to 2008 R2.

My position is that I have a custom assembly that is called and performs a lot of processing for these charts. I would be quite happy to get the initial upgrade to just be exactly what is already there. Will 208 R2 run the dundas dlls and render reports the same way 2005 did? Has anyone done an upgrade where they ran exactly what they used to have on 2008 R2 and then move forward to other things later?

Any pointers most welcome.

Best Regards

Peter

Peter Nolan

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 11:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Peter

SQL Server 2008 introduces changes to the Report Definition Language (RDL), the report object model, and the rendering object model that affect reports created in earlier versions of the software. When you upgrade a SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services installation to a SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services installation, existing reports and snapshots that have been uploaded to a report server are automatically upgraded to the new schema the first time they are processed. If a report cannot be automatically upgraded, the report is processed using the backward-compatibility mode

Below steps will help you to solve your problem.

Copy over the Dundas Dlls (DundasRSChart.dll,etc) to the ReportServer's bin folder. E.g.C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10_50.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportServer\bin

You will get more informations on below link  Dundas and SSRS 2008 R2

Suhas_AKole

Mark as Answer if this resolves your problem or "Vote as Helpful" if you find it helpful.

Thursday, March 01, 2012 4:36 AM
  • Hi Suhas,

thanks very much for that. I will try the upgrade today and see if I can make it work.

Best Regards

Peter

Peter Nolan

Thursday, March 01, 2012 2:41 PM
  • Hi Suhas/others,

ok. I have performed the install of my dundas controls that were for 2005. They seemed to install ok. I updated the rsreportserver and rssrvpolicy configuration files. I copied the dundas dlls into the IDE and bin directories as specified.

I can start the dundas sample charts and execute them for chart so it seems the install worked ok from that point of view.

The next problem I have come up against is this. I use a customassembly heavily in all the reports. It is called IBIRSCustomClass. Every report references it. It is written in vb.net.

Now. When I start VS 2008 which seems to have come with SQL Server (as I am using VS 2010) it does not recognise the custom assembly in the project file. It almost looks like vb is not supported in the VS 2008 version that was installed.

Then when I try to open a report I het the error message "Item has already been added. Key in dictionary: 'Chart.BorderLineWidth' Key
    being added: 'Chart.BorderLineWidth' "

The report itself will not open.

Lastly, the dundas install process seems to look for VS 2005 and have assumed vs 2005 to be on the machine. So the dundas controls do not appear in VS 2008 toolbox.

So I think my problem is something to do with the version of VS 2008 that comes with SQL Server and how it deals with custom assemblies.

If anyone has solved these problems previously I would be most grateful for any guidance as to how to get this working on 2008R2. I am sure someone else must have put a custom assembly in with dundas charts at some point.

Best regards

Peter Nolan

Friday, March 02, 2012 6:05 PM
  • Hi peternolan9,

New Chart and Gauge report items were already released as part of SQL Reporting Services 2008. Please refer to the following articles about Dundas control, please see:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/alexgor/archive/2008/11/07/microsoft-chart-control-vs-dundas-chart-control.aspx
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/hu/sqlreportingservices/thread/3c200e6c-65ed-422a-8dca-83fcdd4cc656
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlreportingservices/thread/d0ea9521-6cea-4825-a05b-42d16d976f48

Regards,
    Bin Long

TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are
    TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Bin Long

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 9:17 AM
  • Hi Bin,

thanks for that.  I will check the articles.

I am going from 2005 to R2 directly. Some have suggested I go direct to sql server 2012 but all I really need right now are up to date demonstation videos. videos useing RS 2005 look dated now. I have just relaunched my company after 4 years idle.

I think my problem is related to the custom assembly. VS 2008 seems not to be able to see the custom assembly. I think I need to upgrade the VS2008 that was installed by sql server to support vb.net. I gather that component is not installed. I read an entry that said VS 2010 did not support RS Reports. My VS 2010 does not open RS reports. I do not know if VS 2012 supports RS reports. I could go to VS 2012 on top of SQLS 2008R2 if that was well known to work.

I have MSDN professional so I should be able to get any particular product. I just need to get all the bits to work. I only just upgraded so I was expecting problems. In the future I will likely migrate over to MSFT reports. It was just that dundas gave much better results 6 years ago when I built these sample reports.

Peter Nolan

Thursday, March 08, 2012 4:45 PM
  • Hi,

Currently, we can not use Visual Studio 2010 open VS 2008 Report Server project and design the reports. However, we can create a custom application and use ReportViewer control to display reports. For more information about ReportViewer control, please see:
    ReportViewer control: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms251671(v=vs.100).aspx

The next version of SQL Server named "Denali". SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) is an add-in to Visual Studio 2010. Report server projects created in SQL Server 2008 R2 can be opened directly into SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT). Projects created in SQL Server 2008 are automatically upgraded when opened in SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT). For more information, please refer to:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms170438(v=sql.110).aspx

Thanks,
    Bin Long

Bin Long

TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 09, 2012 1:52 AM
  • Hi Bin,

the problem with going to 2012 is that in selling and supporting the clients are not likely to have 2012. They are much more likely to have 2008R2 so we have to support what the clients will have.

I have now installed VS 2008 and tried opening the reports there. The reports without dundas controls work perfectly so they upgraded fine. The ones with dundas controls fail. The reason seems to be that the dundas controls I have were for VS 2005 and when I reinstalled them it looked for VS 2005 and tried to integrate to the 2005 toolbox and config files. Naturally this fails. I was hoping it might look for a variable to find out what to update but it seems to look for fixed paths.

So I guess the problem now is really with dundas. I will shoot on over to their forums and see if I can find a fix for this.

On a different topic.

1. Has MSFT released guage, map, calendar as MSFT controls yet?

2. I read the whats new on Report Services. Seems MSFT is still pretty committed to it so our reports should have decent upgrade path one way or the other. Correct?

Peter Nolan

Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:23 PM