none
SQL Server Express 2008 - Missing Client Tools / Management Studio / Profiler

Question

•  

I downloaded and performed a full install of SQL Server Express 2008 Nov CTP. It was installed on a fresh installation of Windows Vista Enterprise x64.

During setup, I checked the 'Client Tools' box which has the description:

"Includes management and development tools: SQL Server Management Studio, SQL Server Configuration Manager, SQL Server Profiler, and Database Engine Tuning Advisor"

The installation ran fine with no errors. After install I looked for the Management Studio but couldnt find it anywhere. No SQL Server Profiler or Database Tuning Advisor either. The only tool that appears to have installed is the SQL Server Configuration Manager.

If I check my Start Menu, the only 2008 items that exist are

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 >

Configuration Tools >

SQL Server Configuration Manager

SQL Server Error and Usage Reporting

SQL Server Installation Center

I checked the summary log and everythign PASSED:

Package results:
      Passed

Execution statistics:
      Exit code:                     0x00000000
      Exit message:                  Passed
      Package start time:            12/13/2007 14:05:39
      Package end time:              12/13/2007 14:09:06
      Package install location:      c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap
      Package initial action:        Install
      Media source location:         Install
      Media version:                 10.0.1075.23

Machine properties:
      Machine name:                  xxx
      Machine processor count:       2
      OS version:                    Windows Vista
      OS service pack:              
      OS language:                   English (United States)
      OS architecture:               x64
      Process architecture:          32 Bit

Properties provided in package.xml file:
      LegalProductName:              SQL Server Database Services 2008
      Description:                   SQL Server Database Services 2008
      Details:                       Install for SQL Server Database Services 2008
      ProductName:                   SQL2008
      Version:                       10
      SPLevel:                       0
      KBArticle:                     KB876234
      KBArticleHyperlink:            http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=876234

Command line arguments provided:
      ACTION:                        Install
      INSTANCEIDSUFFIX:             

Product features discovered:
      Product:                       SQL2005

Product:                       SQL2008

Feature status after execution:
      Database Engine Services: Passed
      Replication: Passed
      Client Tools: Passed

Windows Installer logs generated during execution:
      C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20071213_1405\T60-l3ac207_20071213_1405_Snac_Cpu64_1.log
      C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20071213_1405\T60-l3ac207_20071213_1405_Msxml6_Cpu64_1.log
      C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20071213_1405\T60-l3ac207_20071213_1405_Tools_Cpu32_1.log
      C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20071213_1405\T60-l3ac207_20071213_1405_SqlWriter_Cpu64_1.log
      C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20071213_1405\T60-l3ac207_20071213_1405_SqlBrowser_Cpu32_1.log
      C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20071213_1405\T60-l3ac207_20071213_1405_Sql_Cpu32_1.log

What is the issue here?

Thursday, December 13, 2007 11:20 PM

Answers

• Please do not use the instruction provided by Paradox1!

Hi Paradox,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you had installing Management Studio, but there is absolutely no need to uninstall previous versions of SQL Express prior to installing Management Studio. I appreciate that you wanted to help us all with your experience, but in this case you've provided information that will mislead others.

You can install Management Studio from SQL Express w/ Tools (or Advanced Services) right on top of the core SQL Express edition by performing an Edition Upgrade first, then doing an Add Feature to add Management Services. Information about doing Edition Upgrade is available in the SQL Express blog at http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress/archive/2008/08/24/faq-switching-between-sql-server-2008-edtions.aspx.

I've let the setup team know on a number of occations that no one can figure out Edition Upgrade and that confusion leads to exactly the result seen here; folks like you end up doing unnecessary work. I'll keep providing that feedback hoping that the fix this design in a future release.

Regards,

Mike

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:14 AM
  • Hi Mike,

The description in the setup dialog is the issue, it is incorrect. You can find more information about the SQL Express 2008 CTP on my blog, here. Management Studio won't be included until a later CTP when we bring on the Express Advanced Edition and SQL Express will not include Profiler or the Desktop Tuning Advisor.

You can download and install the SQL Developer 2008 CTP if you want to take a look at the tools you mentioned. They will work against SQL Express as well as SQL Dev.

Regards,

Mike Wachal

SQL Express

Friday, December 14, 2007 12:59 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

The description in the setup dialog is the issue, it is incorrect. You can find more information about the SQL Express 2008 CTP on my blog, here. Management Studio won't be included until a later CTP when we bring on the Express Advanced Edition and SQL Express will not include Profiler or the Desktop Tuning Advisor.

You can download and install the SQL Developer 2008 CTP if you want to take a look at the tools you mentioned. They will work against SQL Express as well as SQL Dev.

Regards,

Mike Wachal

SQL Express

Friday, December 14, 2007 12:59 AM
  • Hi Mike,

you have clearly explaind but still I  am getting same doutbt. could you please tell me.

when I was installing SQL Server 2008 CTP, list showing Client Tools, and If I select it description is showing that it includes Management Studio also.

I have checked client toola and installed the SQL Server 2008.

But after installation, I am not getting SQL Server Management Studio 2008 in Programes manu.
    Tuesday, January 01, 2008 10:17 AM
  •  

I see that in the Log that Mike shared with us says that:

Product features discovered:
    Product:                       SQL2005

Product:                       SQL2008

From this message I assume SQL Server 2005 is already installed and if SQL Server 2005' s Client Tools are also installed then SQL Server 2008' s Management Studio will not be installed. To install SQL Server 2008' s Client Tools, you will have to uninstall SQL Server 2005' s Client Tools from Add Remove Programs.

Saturday, January 05, 2008 2:56 AM
  • Hi Dutt,

I'll try again but be more specific.

Management Studio is not included in SQL Express, the description is wrong.

Regards,

Mike

Saturday, January 05, 2008 4:55 AM
  •  

That's correct I missed that it's an Express Edition, it does not include SSMSE with it. 

However even if it would be Developer Edition of the SQL Server 2008 CTP, it would not let installing Client Tools side by SQL Server 2005's Client Tools.

For future reference.

Saturday, January 05, 2008 5:00 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Could you please let me know that to connect with SQL Server 2008 Server, can we use 2005 Management Studio?

Thanks,

Dutt

Saturday, January 05, 2008 5:35 PM
  • Management Studio 2005 cannot connect to SQL 2008, they are incompatible. It does work the other way around though, you can connect to SQL 2005 from Management Studio 2008.

As for the question of having both 2005 and 2008 on the same machine, the database engine itself supports being installed side by side, but it appears the tools do not. According to this post you need to manually uninstall the SQL 2005 tool, including management studio, before you will be able to install the 2008 tools.

FYI -  If you have questons about SQL 2008 CTP, it would be better to ask them in the CTP forums, which you can find at http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=428&SiteID=1.

Mike

Saturday, January 05, 2008 5:53 PM
  • Hi Mike,

You can connect to a SQL Server 2008 Instance using SQL Server 2005' s SSMS if you apply CU5.

Check it out from the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943656

Bug Number: 50002151

Description: You may experience problems when you use SQL Server Management Studio in SQL Server 2005 to connect to an instance of SQL Server 2008 Community Technology Preview (CTP).

Saturday, January 05, 2008 8:31 PM
  • Installing SQL Server Management Studio 2008

http://cogniscribe.blogspot.com/2008/11/installing-sql-server-management-studio.html
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 1:20 AM
  • The 2008 version of the Management Studio is not a stand alone installation and can only be installed as part of the SQL Server 2008 Express with Tools or Advanced installation.

Like many others, I spent countless hours trying to figure out how to install the Management Studio for SQL Server 2008 Express - Advanced installation (same should apply to the w/ Tools version).  What happened in my case was that I installed Visual Studio 2008 Express and during that process a stripped down "Instance" of SQL Server 2008 was installed that did not include the Management Studio.  Through much pain and torture I learned that the Management Studio can only be installed during installation of the first instance.  To delete that first instance, you must go to "Add or Remove Programs" and remove "Microsoft SQL Server 2008".  The removal process will only remove one instance at a time and if you have installed more than one instance you need to keep going until all instances have been removed and the application completely disappears from the Add or Remove Programs" dialog.  Note: You do not need to uninstall any of the other SQL Server 2008 applications that also appear in the "Add or Remove Programs" dialog.  Then go back through the install process as follows: Double click on SQLEXPRADV_x86_ENU.exe to load the SQL Server Installation Center and then go to Installation > New SQL Server stand-alone installation.  Then proceed through all of the installation steps until you get to “Feature Selection” and click on “Select All” to toggle on all of the Shared Features, which should include Management Tools - Basic.  Continue the process from there and you should be good to go.  Hopefully this will help others to avoid much of the pain that many of us have already experienced.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 3:10 AM
  • Please do not use the instruction provided by Paradox1!

Hi Paradox,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you had installing Management Studio, but there is absolutely no need to uninstall previous versions of SQL Express prior to installing Management Studio. I appreciate that you wanted to help us all with your experience, but in this case you've provided information that will mislead others.

You can install Management Studio from SQL Express w/ Tools (or Advanced Services) right on top of the core SQL Express edition by performing an Edition Upgrade first, then doing an Add Feature to add Management Services. Information about doing Edition Upgrade is available in the SQL Express blog at http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress/archive/2008/08/24/faq-switching-between-sql-server-2008-edtions.aspx.

I've let the setup team know on a number of occations that no one can figure out Edition Upgrade and that confusion leads to exactly the result seen here; folks like you end up doing unnecessary work. I'll keep providing that feedback hoping that the fix this design in a future release.

Regards,

Mike

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:14 AM
  •  Paradox1,

I tried Mike's suggestion but it didn't work for me.  Or at least I think I tried it.  When I installed Web Dev Express 2008 somehow I had to install SQL Express 2008 as well.  But no management studio was to be found later when I looked.  I thought maybe they were saying to double-install the Express with Tools version of SS, but apparently it was the original installation they wanted duplicated, and the original stripped down install executable was no longer on my machine.  And the Ew/Tools version install choked (it wouldn't let me proceed on the page where you select what you want to install, the stuff was selected and everything was greyed out and didn't have the good stuff showine either).  Finally I decided to remove the instance of Microsoft SQL Server 2008 as you suggested.  After that the installation went fine. 

I didn't need to do the second install either, so the install must have considered itself a second install.  I will note that my failed Ew/Tools install was for adding features to an existing.  I don't recall whether I tried to install a standalone over (or how ever you would phrase it) the original.  But my good install was for a standalone.

Thanks,

Reese Bird

Sunday, January 25, 2009 12:44 AM
  • To follow up, here's how it went down for me:

1. Download the binary at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=08e52ac2-1d62-45f6-9a4a-4b76a8564a2b&displayLang=en

2. Despite what it says, this is actually a full installation package for SQL Server Express 2008. So when you run it, you get that absolutely insane Setup dialog with a million choices. Click Maintenance > Edition Upgrade and upgrade the instance.

3. Now go back to Installation and choose "New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation".

4. Select the pre-existing instance. SQL Management Studio will show up in the Features list.

5. Setup fails complaining that "SQL Server 2005 Express Tools" are installed and must be uninstalled. This doesn't make sense to me as I have both installed on my machine at work and they co-exist peacefully; who knows. Uninstall the 2005 version and continue.

6. (20 minutes of watching installer progress bars later) Go back to Microsoft and download and install the 2005 SQL Management Studio binary because you need it to access a legacy database that Management Studio 2008 will not show metadata for for some reason, and install it. They can co-exist peacefully together; no idea why 2008 complains about co-existing. I guess they tried to dump in the same directory, which I would have changed but the 2008 installer doesn't let you change the destination directory for Management Studio.

You're done! If I may rant a bit, that was fairly ridiculous for something that used to have an independent installer. What should have taken 2 minutes has turned into a half hour of head-scratching. I have a feeling this is because they tried to put Management Studio as a feature of the SQL Server product in Windows Installer, and Windows Installer is pretty terrible technology when it comes to this sort of thing. This should be addressed in the next version of SQL Server's setup.

Wednesday, April 01, 2009 11:10 PM
    • Edited by GeakeIT Wednesday, October 19, 2011 10:33 AM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 10:33 AM
  • Hello, 

Somebody please help Ive been trying to install SQL Server Express 2008 Management Tools for days and am faced with never ending obstacles!

First I couldnt figure out how to install at all since no matter which installer files you download and run it opens the same thing... the installation manager homepage

******* ---- Then a post somewhere told me to "pretend" to Install a new instance but really just check off the "Managment Tools - Basic" from the "Shared" tab and deselect all new instance level features.

That didnt work. Kept looking for solutions and found this:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlexpress/archive/2008/08/24/faq-switching-between-sql-server-2008-edtions.aspx

So i did that. Upgraded to SQL Server Express Advanced Edition. Then restarted the Installation Manager and went to "Add a feature to existing instance" Before I was even able to get to the feature selection tree I got a dialog asking me to select Installation Media folder.

Did some research and found this:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2979425/sql-server-installation-what-is-the-installation-media-folder

Did that.. although I tried 7zip and Winzip that didnt work untill finally WinRAR worked. But when I tried to extract the files to a folder I created "C:\ProgramFiles\MicrosoftSQLServer\Installation Media"  it told me that the files already exist in a different folder called "C:\Users\mycomputername\AppData\local\temp\wz6816\x64". So at first I cancelled what I was doing and tried to select that folder from the dialog box that originally asked me to select a folder for Installation Media. Problem with that is I couldnt navigate past "C:\Users\mycomputername" from that dialog... AppData didnt exist in that directory and I could only access it through the Run command.

So I continued what I was doing before.. using winrar to extract the files from the original installed executable into the folder I created: (C:\ProgramFiles\MicrosoftSQLServer\Installation Media). The dialog comes up again saying it already exists in a different directory. I didnt want to overwrite anything so this time I just hit the option to continue copying but without overwriting the duplicates in the AppData\local... directory.

So now I try to run the SQL Server Installation manager navigate to "Add Feature to existing instance" and select the Installation Media folder I created..so far so good. Move on to the feature selection tree and all the checkboxes are already checked and greyed out, including the one that says Management Tools - Basic!!

So now its telling me I already have it but I cant find it anywhere on my computer.. This seems like a dead end. 

Another post said to uninstall "Sql Server 2005 client tools" if I had them and then try again to install the 2008 management tools... but i checked my installed programs and there is no such 2005 client tools.

PLEASE HELP ive been trying to install these management tools for days!!! 

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 12:09 AM
  • After days and days of searching for a solution i finally got it back. Thanks Paradox.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 9:22 AM