none
Rendering SSRS report in MSWord format VS2008

Question

• Is there a setting or code I can use to render the report formatted like a word document?
    Friday, April 19, 2013 5:26 PM

Answers

• Hi Shaeblack,

The Word render format is one of the built-in rendering formats since the release of SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services. From your description, do you use ReportViewer control in local processing mode in a custom application developed in Visual Studio 2008? If so, the Report Viewer 2008 doesn’t support Word format in local processing mode by design.

• If you use SSRS 2008 or SSRS 2008 R2, you can configure the ReportViewer control to run in remote processing mode. In this way, the ReportViewer control displays a report published to a SQL Server 2008 report server, and the Word render format is supported.
    • If you use SSRS 2005, the Word render format is not supported no matter the ReportViewer control is run in remote processing mode or local processing mode. In this condition, one workaround to use Report Viewer 2010 in Visual Studio 2008 to display a RDLC report in a ReportViewer control that runs in local processing mode.

References:

If I have anything misunderstood, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Shaeblack,

The Word render format is one of the built-in rendering formats since the release of SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services. From your description, do you use ReportViewer control in local processing mode in a custom application developed in Visual Studio 2008? If so, the Report Viewer 2008 doesn’t support Word format in local processing mode by design.

• If you use SSRS 2008 or SSRS 2008 R2, you can configure the ReportViewer control to run in remote processing mode. In this way, the ReportViewer control displays a report published to a SQL Server 2008 report server, and the Word render format is supported.
    • If you use SSRS 2005, the Word render format is not supported no matter the ReportViewer control is run in remote processing mode or local processing mode. In this condition, one workaround to use Report Viewer 2010 in Visual Studio 2008 to display a RDLC report in a ReportViewer control that runs in local processing mode.

References:

If I have anything misunderstood, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Mike Yin

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:37 AM
  • Hi MIke,

Thank you for answering this.  I am still a little confused - I dont know how to change the setting.  Is there a place I can go to that will walk me through changing the setting.

Angela

Angela Jackson

Monday, April 29, 2013 4:34 PM
  • Hi Angela,

Thanks for your posting.

To configure the ReportViewer control to run in local processing mode, please see:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms251704.aspx

To configure the ReportViewer control to run in remote processing mode, please see:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms252075.aspx

Here is a tutorial for ReportViewer control:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms251686(v=vs.110).aspx

Regards,

Mike Yin

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 1:36 AM
  • Mike.  This is a lot of information – I went through it but still do not see the answer to my problem.

I am able to create the report fine –both locally and remotely.  Problem is – the format ( line spacing, centering, etc) is being lost when the report is displayed.  Is there a way to control that?

Angela Jackson

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 5:01 PM
  • Hi Angela,

Thanks for your posting.

Do you mean that the report doesn’t render as expected in a ReportViewer control or you want to export the report to Word format? If the former, please try the following suggestions:

• Use Internet Explorer Compatibility View mode when browsing the custom application
    • Place each tablix or Chart data region in a rectangle

If the latter, it depends on the ReportViewer version and processing mode, please see my original post.

Regards,

Mike Yin

Thursday, May 02, 2013 1:41 AM