none
sql 2005 express upgrade to SP3

Answers

• None of the provided links answered my question.

I stumbled upon Books Online and re-read about installing SQL Express. I found half a sentance in the middle which gave me the answer.
    Specifing an existing instance name will upgrade that instance.

Just tried it and it worked.
    So if anyone is wondering how to upgrade their Express editions then download the SQL 2005 Express SP3 installation file, start the setup and specify your existing instance name. From there on the setup will act accordingly (it's going to upgrade). There is a checkbox called "Hide advanced settings" on one of the setup pages, which should probably be unchecked if you want to specify an instance name.

Why the installation instructions on the download page can't clearly state this course of action is beyond me...

Edit = corrected my last statement. The step in the setup where you specify the instance name, does have instructions at the top which say if you specify an existing instance it will be upgraded. Somehow I managed to completely miss that when I first ran the SQL 2005 Express SP3 file (I cancelled the setup and started this thread) and the second time (when I actually upgraded to SP3). Spotted it on the third time when I installed SP3 in a virtual pc...
    • Marked as answer by mommi Tuesday, December 23, 2008 6:20 PM
    • Edited by mommi Tuesday, December 23, 2008 6:48 PM
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 6:20 PM

All replies

• I think you need to install only SQL Server Express SP3 because there are reasons it is separate one is it comes with User Instance which the other editions are not aware of. 

Here is how create a silent installer in a sand box update copies of the applications running your current implementations fix issues as needed before rolling out the deployment because this is a very big deployment.

http://blogs.technet.com/dataplatforminsider/archive/2008/12/10/sql-server-2005-sp3-now-available-for-download.aspx

Asp.net MVP, MCPD Web C#, MCTS TFS, MCITP BI and DBA
    Friday, December 19, 2008 7:54 PM
  • But how do I upgrade my existing SQL 2005 Express SP2 installation with the SQL 2005 Express SP3 file? If you manually run it, it wants to isntall a new isntance of SQL on the machine.

The link you provided only contains SQL 2005 SP3 download links, but not information as to how I'm supposed to update/upgrade my Express SP2 installations.
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 10:18 AM
  • Here are the read me  and release notes you need to read both and read the support article about what is fixed in SP 3 so your know how to plan the release.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/7/1/5718A94A-3931-457B-8567-AA0995E34870/ReleaseNotesSQL2005SP3.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=851C39EE-6F9D-47D9-8ECC-44AC1E9DC182&displaylang=en

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/959195

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 2:33 PM
  • None of the provided links answered my question.

I stumbled upon Books Online and re-read about installing SQL Express. I found half a sentance in the middle which gave me the answer.
    Specifing an existing instance name will upgrade that instance.

Just tried it and it worked.
    So if anyone is wondering how to upgrade their Express editions then download the SQL 2005 Express SP3 installation file, start the setup and specify your existing instance name. From there on the setup will act accordingly (it's going to upgrade). There is a checkbox called "Hide advanced settings" on one of the setup pages, which should probably be unchecked if you want to specify an instance name.

Why the installation instructions on the download page can't clearly state this course of action is beyond me...

Edit = corrected my last statement. The step in the setup where you specify the instance name, does have instructions at the top which say if you specify an existing instance it will be upgraded. Somehow I managed to completely miss that when I first ran the SQL 2005 Express SP3 file (I cancelled the setup and started this thread) and the second time (when I actually upgraded to SP3). Spotted it on the third time when I installed SP3 in a virtual pc...
    • Marked as answer by mommi Tuesday, December 23, 2008 6:20 PM
    • Edited by mommi Tuesday, December 23, 2008 6:48 PM
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 6:20 PM
  • You adding the instance name during setup was not added because if you use SQL Server it is something you need to know.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 6:29 PM
  • How to do a silent upgrade from SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 or SP1 to SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP3 using Command line options. Note this should be unattended installation that can be fired from prompt.

sqlexpr32 /qb UPGRADE=SQL_Engine INSTANCENAME=XXXXSQLExpress ADDLOCAL=All SECURITYMODE=SQL SAPWD=ugvenkat DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0 SQLAUTOSTART=1 SQLCOLLATION=SQL_Latin1_General_Cp1_CI_AS

Hope this helps someone out there :)
    Wednesday, February 04, 2009 5:17 PM