none
Where is SQL Agent on sql server 2012?

Question

• <p>Hello</p><p>On my Vista 32bit home edition laptop I have been running sql server 2008 for over a week now and all working well. I wanted to practice log shipping on another instance so I installed sql server 2005 express. It installed fine and using SSMS I connected to 2005 express db engine fine. Then I noticed sql agent was missing and because I thougfht it was not available free I decided to install sql server2012. This installed fine. Then I noticed sql agent was again not showing on that instance! I opened up sql server configuration manager and under "SQL Server services" on the right hand side box it says "requesting data from WMI provider". It then fails with error "The remote procedure call failed. (0x800706be)</p> I checked "services" and sql agent 2012 is running under the administrative a/c fine. Right now I am downloading a microsoft fix KB947821 as it relates to error (0x800706be) which is about the "system update readiness tool" which is quite bizare. Anyway, while that's running I began to setup logshipping between instance 2008 and 2012. Setting up the primary was fine but when I connected to the secodary instance 2012 it says "ME-PC\SQL2012 is not a valid server instance. It must be Standard, Workgroup or Enterprise". I thought I had correctly downloaded the microsoft 2012 evaluation file from their website. Could someone tell me where it is please? Thank you.
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 4:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Please try to open SQL Server Configuration Manager with the “Run as Administrator” option.

SQL Server Agent is not available for Express Edition on all SQL Server versions.  

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, May 10, 2012 4:49 PM
  • Hi Alberto

Thanks for that.

I ran sql server configuration manager as "Run as Administrator" and still getting an error of "WMI Provider Host stopped working and was closed. A problem caused the application to stop working correctly. Windows will notify you if a solution is available."

What free sql server evaluation would include sql agent?

Thursday, May 10, 2012 4:57 PM
  • From 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645993.aspx

it is supported in

Enterprise

BI

Web

Standard

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:03 PM
  • Hello,

A free edition of SQL Server that has a SQL Server Agent that can be started as a service does not exist. On the link provided above by Ahmed what editions support SQL Server Agent and other limitations of Express edition.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:09 PM
  • Thank you both. So I don't really need SQL Server 2012 then if I can't get sql agent. I will do a restore point before the installation to remove and hopefully get round the WMI problem.

Can I run the log shipping job (backup,copy and restore) all from the primary?

Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:30 PM
  • Hello,

You can have a second instance on the primary server, and have log shipping between both instances.

Log Shipping is not supported on Express Edition. I hope you have an edition that supports SQL Server Agent installed on that primary server.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:43 PM
  • Hello Alberto

The restore worked fine and sql 2012 is removed and the WMI error is no more.

I tried with the 180 day 2008 enerprise evaluation cd to get another instance going but it failed with error "Exception has been thown by the target of an invocation"!. I chose "New SQL Server stand-alone installation" Is that right?

Thursday, May 10, 2012 8:04 PM
  • yes,

can you try again and share screnshot and logs ?

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 8:18 PM
  • Hi Ahmed

How do I attach the files to the forum?

Thursday, May 10, 2012 8:40 PM
  • cany you upload them to skydrive 

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team

Thursday, May 10, 2012 8:47 PM
  • Can you zip and upload the log folder

c:\program files\Microsoft SQL server\100\setup bootstrap\log\20120510_213215

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team

Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:08 PM
  • Done. Can you see the files?
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:14 PM
  • Can you open command prompt as Administrator(Run as administrator)

then run

setup.exe /Action=Install

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team

Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:27 PM
  • I did that and cmd prompt defaulted to c:\windows\system32.

Getting an error of...

'setup.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

What does that command do by the way?

Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:32 PM
  • can you navigate to

D:\x86\setup\

then run the command from there

you can do CD D:\x86\setup\

then type D:

and hit enter

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team

Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:36 PM
  • I'm in the path d:\x86\setup

I hit d: and nothing happened

Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:41 PM
  • sorry it should be d:

just go to d drive

setup.exe should be there

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team

Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:51 PM
  • right, well it ran the same as before. Getting same error.
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:55 PM
  • I suspect that the media is corrupted to rule out this factor

• can you copy the media locally to then run setup from hard disk ?
    • Other thing if the above doesn't work  will be downloading Service Pack 3

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=27594

then try to install service pack 3 this will install latest version of sql support package

then try to install from the media

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team

Thursday, May 10, 2012 10:16 PM
  • Good Morning Ahmed

Day 2! :-)

When copying the files from cd to hard drive, yes there was an error. I aborted and downloaded sp3 like you said. It's taking ages to install! Will it include the database engine?

Friday, May 11, 2012 9:40 AM
  • sp3 now installed to my 2008 enterprise 180 day free evaluation edition.

Still getting same error when installing from cd so have aborted.

Is there somewhere I can download "2008 enterprise 180 day free evaluation edition"?

Friday, May 11, 2012 10:03 AM
  • Friday, May 11, 2012 10:38 AM
  • For SQL server 2008 enterprise evaluation

it should be available here

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=1279

or try

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=129736&clcid=0x409

For SQL server 2008 R2 enterprise evaluation

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/ff459612

For SQL server 2012 enterprise evaluation

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29066

Please mark this thread as answered :) when you get it answered

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team

• Marked as answer by DavidFast Friday, May 11, 2012 9:13 PM
    Friday, May 11, 2012 11:12 AM
  • right, I have downloaded the file and am stuck on the installation.

It's asking to select either

a) Perform a new installation of sql server 2008 or b) add features to an existing instance of sql server 2008. I think it's a) but just want to be sure.

I want two instances.

Friday, May 11, 2012 8:45 PM
  • Well It's worked!  I went with performing a new installation and I can see both instances in object explorer. Thank you Ahmed and Alberto.
    Friday, May 11, 2012 9:13 PM
  • Mission control... I have another problem.

Log shipping is not working. I backed up the adventureworks database on instance A and on instance B created a database called adventureworks and tried restoring the adventureworks db on A to B. Error I'm getting is

Cannot find server certificate with thumbprint '0x5BD5EE2C31F9229E20F4DB36382CECFA8D426FEE'.
    RESTORE FILELIST is terminating abnormally. (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)

Any ideas?

Saturday, May 12, 2012 12:28 PM
  • Hi David ,

I this this is more suitable for 

SQL Server High Availability and Disaster Recovery

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldisasterrecovery/threads

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team

Saturday, May 12, 2012 12:36 PM