none
Installing smo 2005 assemblies after sql server 2012

Question

• Hi all,

I have setup a new development workstation with SQL 2008 R2 and SQL 2012 (both Developer Editions x64).

Now I need to import on the new machine a project (from TFS) which consists of a Website and some Windows libraries and Applications. The problem is that all the projects have references to SMO assemblies version 2005 which is not installed on the new workstation.

I would not like to change the dependencies on the project because I would not like to face problems with the deployment\redistribution of the applications: the customer only have (following the requirements of many years ago) smo 2005 versions of the assemblies and the deployment is to be automatically updated using clickonce technology (more than 200 clients...) which does not update prerequisites automatically.

On the other hand I am not sure it is a good idea to install the Microsoft SQL Server Features 2005 (SMO and Exception Message Box) because I would not like to break the 2008 R2 and 2012 versions of SQL Server.

Do you have any idea\hint about how to deal with this problem?

Thank you in advance

Alberto

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 7:18 PM

Answers

• Hi could you please check this link, it may help you out.

http://www.sqldbadiaries.com/2010/10/20/how-i-fixed-could-not-load-file-or-assembly-microsoft-sqlserver-smo-version10-0-0-0-issue/

• Marked as answer by Piggy Wednesday, May 16, 2012 9:19 AM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:18 AM

All replies

• Imho it's sufficient for a development system to work with latest version. For clean development I would recommend using a VM like VirtualPC which has only one version installed.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 9:07 PM
  • Hi could you please check this link, it may help you out.

http://www.sqldbadiaries.com/2010/10/20/how-i-fixed-could-not-load-file-or-assembly-microsoft-sqlserver-smo-version10-0-0-0-issue/

• Marked as answer by Piggy Wednesday, May 16, 2012 9:19 AM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:18 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your replies.

1. I fully agree with Stefan, unfortunately the project I am now dealing with is quite large and developing it from within one of my current virtual machines is a very poor solution for performance reasons... I am managing to create a hyper-v set of virtual machines sized appropriately for development tasks, but for many reasons I need first to solve this problem with the less intrusive solution.

2. Thank you lindaEtechi for the link, it sounds interesting manually managing the copy and registration of the single assemblies I need, this could give me more control over the old dlls I am installing, more than using the Microsoft SQL Server Features 2005 installers (just because i don't have a preview of what they are doing).

Many Thanks

Alberto

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 9:35 AM
  • Hi,

Just an update of my experience.

The link from lindaEtechi meets perfectly my requirements of allowing my projects to reference the smo assemblies (version 2005 - 9.0.242) in the less intrusive way: http://www.sqldbadiaries.com/2010/10/20/how-i-fixed-could-not-load-file-or-assembly-microsoft-sqlserver-smo-version10-0-0-0-issue/ 

I was able to resolve the issue just copying the dlls from a server (with the latest SQL 2005 SP4 patches) to my disk and then copying them (only the required assemblies) to the GAC. In this way I was able to downlad the original TFS copy of my code and compile\run it without any change.

The assemblies registration (regasm) was not needed, because I was only looking for the references to be found (since they are part of a section of the project not to be changed \ tested).

Thank you again

Alberto

Friday, May 18, 2012 2:50 AM