none
SQL Server Compact Edition Installation

Question

• I’m trying to figure out how to install/configure SQL Server Compact Edition on a mobile device.  Do I need to install SQL Server Compact Edition on the mobile device or is that done when Visual Studio deploys the application.  I downloaded the SQL Server Compact Edition and installed it on my PC, but I can’t find an installation for the device.  I cannot find any documentation on this process.  Would someone please point me in the right direction?

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 4:16 PM

Answers

• HI,

If you wish to use SQL Server Compact for your device app, just download SQL Server Compact for Windows Mobile. You aren't going to need desktop edition unless you wish to use SQL Server Compact for desktop app.

By installing Visual Studio 2008 SP1 you may have SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 installed on your PC if you ran smart progamatibity tools by installing Visual Studio. (or RTM if SP1 has not been applied)

If you download SQL Server Compact for Windows Mobile msi package, all required assemblies and tools will be installed on %PROGRAM_FILES&\Microsoft SQL Server Compact\3.x\Devices by default. Just add System.Data.SqlCeClient assembly to your project and make sure to distribute sql server compact cab installer into your app install package.

If you have any doubt or question, please feel free to drop here it.

Cheers,

José Miguel Torres
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Sean,

By adding System.Data.SqlServerCe assembly to your projectd, Visual Stuio installs SQLCE runtime to your device/emulator whether it has not been installed yet only if you installed smart device tools within visual studio installer properly and are debbuging/deploying an application.

On the other hand at %PROGRAM_FILES&\Microsoft SQL Server Compact\3.x\Devices\wce500\armv4i you will find the installer (cab files) for your device (if it is armv4i compatible) or emulator (use x86). Here some tips:

All *repl*.cab files are used for replications escenarios. (like RDA or merge replication)
    All *dev*.cab files installs Query Analyzer
    All *phone*.cab files are for Windows Mobile standard ed.
    All *ppc*.cab files are for windows classix/profess ed.

Cheers,

José Miguel Torres
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:05 PM
  • José,

I downloaded two different SQL Server Compact Edition installation files.  (One was for the desktop and the other was for the Mobile device)  I'm not sure which one to install on the PC.  I would assume the Desktop version.  However, I'm not sure if the smart device tools were installed properly.

1. Did I download the correct installation packages?

2. Am I correct in assuming that I should install the desktop version?

SQL Server Compact 3.5 Service Pack 1 for Windows Desktop (includes Synchronization Services for ADO.NET version 1.0 Service Pack 1)

SQL Server Compact 3.5 Service Pack 1 for Windows Mobile

3. How do I determine if the smart tools are installed correctly?

4. If they are not installed correctly. How do I install them?

Thanks,
    Sean

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 6:01 PM
  • HI,

If you wish to use SQL Server Compact for your device app, just download SQL Server Compact for Windows Mobile. You aren't going to need desktop edition unless you wish to use SQL Server Compact for desktop app.

By installing Visual Studio 2008 SP1 you may have SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 installed on your PC if you ran smart progamatibity tools by installing Visual Studio. (or RTM if SP1 has not been applied)

If you download SQL Server Compact for Windows Mobile msi package, all required assemblies and tools will be installed on %PROGRAM_FILES&\Microsoft SQL Server Compact\3.x\Devices by default. Just add System.Data.SqlCeClient assembly to your project and make sure to distribute sql server compact cab installer into your app install package.

If you have any doubt or question, please feel free to drop here it.

Cheers,

José Miguel Torres
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:02 PM
  • Hi,

I really wonder what exactly problem are you facing?? Have your mobile device connected correctly to your desktop?? If it's not then you have to install Active Sync 4.5, here is the link:

http://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-ActiveSync/3000-2094_4-10031823.html

After installation this active sync, you don't have to install any driver from your mobile device, it will connect correctly.

If your mobile have connected correctly through your desktop then use code to connectionstring

Imports System.Data.SqlServerCe

Dim connCE As SqlCeConnection = Nothing
    connCE = New SqlCeConnection("Data Source=" & SourcePath)

Regards,

-Harrie-
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 3:23 AM
  • José,

I'm back to working on this MS SQL Server Compact project after a few days of side tracks.  I getting the following error message when I try to create a new database using the Visual Studio -> Server Explorer -> Connect to Database -> Add Connection.

"SQL Server Compact is either not installed or the installation has been currupted."

NOTE:
    1. I just installed Visual Studio 2008 SP1.
    2. I just installed Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition 3.5
    3. I included System.Data.SQLClient in my project.
    4. I included System.Data.SQLServerCe in my project.

Here's what's installed on my system.

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
    Version 9.0.30729.1 SP

Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 3.5 SP1

Microsoft SQL Server 2005
    Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Management Objects
    Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Design Tools English
    Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 for Devices English
    Microsoft SQL Server Database Publishing Wizard 1.3
    Microsoft SQL Server Native Client
    Microsoft SQL Server Setup Suppor Files (English)
    Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writter

Thanks!
    Sean

Tuesday, November 03, 2009 10:17 PM
  • I looks like the desktop runtime is not installed.
    http://erikej.blogspot.com Erik Ejlskov Jensen - Please mark as answer, if this was it.
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 1:59 AM