none
Configure a SQL Server to Listen on a Specific IP Address

Question

• Hello:

So far i haven't seen or heard about configuring a SQL Server to Listen on a Specific IP Address. I am aware of port.

Still curious if somebody might have done or make it possible. This is for standalone server and not Cluster.

Thanks

• Edited by aaditya2000 Tuesday, September 04, 2012 5:46 PM
    Tuesday, September 04, 2012 5:45 PM

Answers

• by trial & error i was able to figure it out as mentioned in that link.

One IMP factor that you will not find in this link is about TCP\IP properties where it says Listen all that need to be NO as by default it is Yes.

Also in properties it shows from IP1 to IPALL for IP Addresses. in my case i have IP1 to IP6 & then finally IPALL.

I know you can argue that in that properties for each IP it has Active & Enabled where you can change to Yes or No. but after changing that alsi didn't helped.

changing to specific IP didn't helped untill i deleted IP4, IP5 & IP6 in REG settings.

finally it worked.

Thanks

• Edited by aaditya2000 Wednesday, September 05, 2012 3:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by aaditya2000 Wednesday, September 05, 2012 3:57 AM
    Wednesday, September 05, 2012 3:52 AM

All replies

• Would you please check-out below thread

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1169746-1550-1.aspx

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    View Ahmed Ibrahim's profile on LinkedIn

• Proposed as answer by vr.babu Wednesday, September 05, 2012 2:20 AM
    Tuesday, September 04, 2012 5:57 PM
  • nope, that is not what i am looking for.

Thanks

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 6:34 PM
  • You can configure SQL Server to a specific IP and port in the Configuration Manager.

Please see:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms177440.aspx

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 8:40 PM
  • by trial & error i was able to figure it out as mentioned in that link.

One IMP factor that you will not find in this link is about TCP\IP properties where it says Listen all that need to be NO as by default it is Yes.

Also in properties it shows from IP1 to IPALL for IP Addresses. in my case i have IP1 to IP6 & then finally IPALL.

I know you can argue that in that properties for each IP it has Active & Enabled where you can change to Yes or No. but after changing that alsi didn't helped.

changing to specific IP didn't helped untill i deleted IP4, IP5 & IP6 in REG settings.

finally it worked.

Thanks

• Edited by aaditya2000 Wednesday, September 05, 2012 3:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by aaditya2000 Wednesday, September 05, 2012 3:57 AM
    Wednesday, September 05, 2012 3:52 AM