none
Exported Excel Report from SSRS 2012 integrated to SharePoint 2010 is encoutering error when opened

    Question

  • We have an RDL developed in Visual Studio 2010. The RDL has several tables and one of the table has one field for the COMMENT. In the COMMENT field, we are actually expecting several characters like bullet points, diamond character, etc., due to the nature of the requiremet for the said column.

    This RDL is working well when loaded in our environment (SQL Server 2012 Reporting Services integrated to SharePoint 2010). And when we tried to export it to Excel and save it locally, it seems working well as well.

    However, the PROBLEM only occurs when we OPEN the exported excel report. It prompts the following message "Excel found unreadable content in 'file.xlsx'. Do you want to recover the contents of this workbook? If you trust the source of this workbook, click Yes."

    Clicking Yes pompt me another message which is "Replaced Part: /xl/worksheets/sheet1.xml part with XML error.  Illegal xml character. Line 5556, column 1. And then clicking Close button only shows no record at all.

    Checking further, we tried to rename the file.xlsx to file.zip. And when we tried to open file.zip file, we went directly to this path: /xl/worksheets/sheet1.xml. And by considering the line and column no., we found the “diamond” character/symbol.

    And by checking from our database, we noticed that the said diamond character is actually a "BULLET POINT".

    Sooner or later, we will be expecting several special characters due to the business requirements.

    Having said all that, can you tell us if this is a limitation of the excel renderer? If yes, how are we supposed to handle this situation. And if not, would you be able to help us figure out what is causing this? Your prompt response will be greatly appreciated.

    Additional Information:
    (1) no error is encountered when this special character is not present from the data.
    (2) error is also encountered when we open immediately the exported report to excel without saving into the local.

    Monday, May 06, 2013 5:47 PM

All replies

  • It's an excel version problem, not reporting services. however there are different ways to handle this type of problem,

    Solutions:-

    1. manually save to lower version of excel(97-2003 workbook), i know, no one likes this solution. but this is the only solution without making any changes either in the rdl or in the database.
    2. use replace function in rdl expressions - Replace(field name to replace, Chr(11),nothing).
    3. use replace function in database to replace the unreadable character - Replace(field name to replace, Chr(11),null).

    In 2008 reporting services, this won't occurs because the default excel export is 97-2003 workbook.


    Friday, November 08, 2013 5:31 AM
  • It's an excel version problem, not reporting services. however there are different ways to handle this type of problem,

    Solutions:-

    1. manually save to lower version of excel(97-2003 workbook), i know, no one likes this solution. but this is the only solution without making any changes either in the rdl or in the database.
    2. use replace function in rdl expressions - Replace(field name to replace, Chr(11),nothing).
    3. use replace function in database to replace the unreadable character - Replace(field name to replace, Chr(11),null).

    In 2008 reporting services, this won't occurs because the default excel export is 97-2003 workbook.



    Friday, November 08, 2013 5:33 AM