none
Cannot connect to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Question

• hello guys

i have a remote server. when i try to connect to sql server in remote server, i receive this error:

A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the pre-login handshake. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The specified network name is no longer available.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 64)

please help me how can i resolve it. i search any where that you think about it, but i cant find any solution.
    thanks from all.

Monday, June 22, 2009 5:29 AM

Answers

All replies

• Have u enabled The Necessary protocols on either the SQL Server Computer or SQL Server Client Computer?
    If Your SQL Installation is SQL 2005

Use the SQL Server Surface Area Configuration tool for SQL Server 2005 to enable remote connections for SQL Server on the SQL Server computer:

1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Microsoft SQL Server 2005, point to Configuration Tools, and then click SQL Server Surface Area Configuration.

2. Click Surface Area Configuration for Services and Connections.

3. Click to expand MSSQLSERVER, click to expand Database Engine, and then click Remote Connections.

4. Click to select Local and Remote Connections, click to select Using both TCP/IP and named pipes, and then click OK.

5. Close the SQL Server Surface Area Configuration tool.

Use the SQL Server Configuration Manager tool to enable the TCP/IP and/or the Named Pipes protocols on the SQL Server computer.

1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Microsoft SQL Server 200x, point to Configuration Tools, and then click SQL Server Configuration Manager.

2. Click to expand SQL Server 200x Network Configuration and then click Protocols for MSSQLSERVER.

3. Right-click the TCP/IP protocol and then click Enable.

4. Right-click the Named Pipes protocol and then click Enable.

5. Close the SQL Server Configuration Manager tool.

Monday, June 22, 2009 5:43 AM
  • dear andrian
    i done all of your suggestion. but not solved my problem.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 6:25 AM
  • Did you use SQL Server Encryption when access to SQL Server?
    Monday, June 22, 2009 6:34 AM
  • Did you use SQL Server Encryption when access to SQL Server?

no i didnt
    Monday, June 22, 2009 6:59 AM
  • I have encountered this problem before and one of the possibilities is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942861

Monday, June 22, 2009 9:41 PM
  • Hi,

If the firewall is enabled on the server, try to add TCP port 1434 into Firewall exception list.

If you have any more questions, please let me know.

Thanks.

***Xiao Min Tan***Microsoft Online Community***
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 6:59 AM
  • What is so frustrating about this issue is that, sometimes you can connect and sometimes you cannot. Sometimes you can connect and execute a query and sometimes half way of your query the Management Studio will kick you out and show you the error. This is really, really frustrating and cannot even find a right solution.
    Monday, July 13, 2009 4:51 AM