none
Select one record for a certain day

Question

• Hi all, I'm having a small problem trying to select one record for a particular day.

The application in question is a sync log, where users are required to synchronise 4 times a week. The most important thing, is that they synchronise 4 times a week ON DIFFERENT DAYS. If they sync 4 times on Monday for example, this should count as 1 synchronisation for that day.

Code so far which counts all syncs for the current week, last week, current month and last month :

SELECT

S.TerritoryCode,
    S.BusinessManager,
    S.AreaManager,
    COALESCE(P.Employee_ChosenName, P.Employee_FirstNames) + ' ' + P.Employee_Surname AS Employee_Name,
    P.Employee_TopazID,
    S.SyncStart,
    S.SyncFinish,
    (Select COUNT(*) FROM Synchronisation AS SCount WHERE SCount.SyncStart Between (select dateadd(wk,datediff(wk,0,getdate()),0)) AND (select dateadd(wk,datediff(wk,0,getdate()),6)) AND SCount.KNumber = S.KNumber) AS 'Syncsthisweek',
    (Select COUNT(*) FROM Synchronisation AS SCount WHERE SCount.SyncStart Between (select dateadd(wk,datediff(wk,7,getdate()),0)) AND (select dateadd(wk,datediff(wk,7,getdate()),6)) AND SCount.KNumber = S.KNumber) AS 'Syncslastweek',
    (Select COUNT(*) FROM Synchronisation AS SCount WHERE SCount.SyncStart Between (select dateadd(mm,datediff(mm,0,getdate()),0)) AND (select dateadd(ms,- 3,dateadd(mm,0,dateadd(mm,datediff(mm,0,getdate())+1,0)))) AND SCount.KNumber = S.KNumber) AS 'Syncsthismonth',
    (Select COUNT(*) FROM Synchronisation AS SCount WHERE SCount.SyncStart Between (select dateadd(mm,-1,dateadd(mm,datediff(mm,0,getdate()),0))) AND (select dateadd(ms,-3,dateadd(mm,0,dateadd(mm,datediff(mm,0,getdate()),0)))) AND SCount.KNumber = S.KNumber) AS 'Syncslastmonth'

FROM Synchronisation AS S

LEFT OUTER JOIN PeopleFinder.dbo.tblEmployee AS P ON S.KNumber = P.Employee_TopazID

Any help would be much appreciated !

Monday, October 27, 2008 2:44 PM

All replies

• You should use row number and partition by the converted date.  You can then the first row only.  something like this.

Code Snippet

DECLARE @t1 TABLE(

id INT,

last_sync datetime

)

INSERT INTO @t1 VALUES(1,GETDATE())

INSERT INTO @t1 VALUES(1,DATEADD(hour,2,GETDATE()))

INSERT INTO @t1 VALUES(1,GETDATE()+1)

INSERT INTO @t1 VALUES(2,GETDATE()+1)

;WITH cte

AS

(

SELECT

id,

CONVERT(VARCHAR(10),Last_Sync,101) AS Dt,

ROW_NUMBER() OVER(PARTITION BY id,CONVERT(VARCHAR(10),Last_Sync,101) ORDER BY last_sync DESC) AS seq

FROM @t1

)

SELECT

id,

COUNT(*)

FROM [cte]

WHERE seq = 1

GROUP BY id

Monday, October 27, 2008 3:15 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. I couldnt get your example to work, so I've managed to achieve what I needed through .net, rather than using my lack of knowledge with SQL
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 2:09 PM